Why does the UFC insist on lying about height?

Followed Izzy since he was fighting on small muay thai shows in NZ. He has always been the same height as me so I remember. 191 cm which is bang on 6'3. Why does the UFC insist on using billed heights like WWF? Izzy isn't 6'4, McGregor was never 5'11 and Carwin isn't 6'3. 

With Izzy I believe its because he knee grow. 

7 Likes
Thai Dye -

wow did he actually undergo a limb extending procedure? 

not the first combat sport to lie about heights, won't be the last.

I believe it's just to make the fighters seem more than your average man. I thought they had carwin listed at 6"5 against Brock. 

Is Anderson the only fighter to list himself smaller? 

1 Like

Anderson Silva whooped Chris Leben's ass and grew 3 inches.

I am 6'3" and Jon Jones was standing about 3 feet away from me during the first Silva/Weidman fight.

He is shorter than me.

There is a chick that used to post on here that worked as a liasion for the expo during that weekend; This actually included her being around Jon Jones...She mentioned the same thing.

Most of the listed heights are B.S.

1 Like

Machida and shogun were like 6'1-6'2 in realy life

Hocky -

I am 6'3" and Jon Jones was standing about 3 feet away from me during the first Silva/Weidman fight.

He is shorter than me.

There is a chick that used to post on here that worked as a liasion for the expo during that weekend; This actually included her being around Jon Jones...She mentioned the same thing.

Interesting. I thought, from looking at photos he was one of the legit ones but he's a peter puffer like the rest.

Thai Dye -

LMAO

IronWill - 
Hocky -

He is shorter than me.

Interesting. I thought, from looking at photos he was one of the legit ones but he's a peter puffer like the rest.

Craziest part is that I have seen him on TV over the years afterwards and the dude looks huge.

Then I think back to that night and wonder how much smaller his opponents must be.

Another guy who was much smaller was Bigfoot Silva.

He was hunched over, but still smaller than they list him as.

Thai Dye -

I believe it's just to make the fighters seem more than your average man. I thought they had carwin listed at 6"5 against Brock. 

Is Anderson the only fighter to list himself smaller? 

I think they listed his reach as his height somehow

Hocky -

He is shorter than me.

If jones isn't a legit 6' 4 then Cormier must be fucking 5' 2

1 Like

UFC is a product not a sport so they will package it with misleading advertising on the label like any other product 

Johnzandt -
Hocky -

He is shorter than me.

If jones isn't a legit 6' 4 then Cormier must be fucking 5' 2

and Deron Winn would be about 4'6" at best..

I think a lot of what is going on is that with USADA and the IV ban, height cutting isn't as prevalent as it was back in the Shane Carwin days when he went from 6'5" to 5'11" the week of a fight.

3 Likes

Brock didnt look that tall in real life. I think he mightve been 6 foot

I was in Phoenix for the first JDS vs Stipe fight and had a chance to interact and talk with Brian Stann, DC and Stipe. Stipe and Stann were big dudes but man DC looked to be about 5'8" maybe 5'9", it amazed me that he was fighting guys so much bigger.

1 Like

Ken Shamrock is listed as 6'1. I have a picture with me and him and he looks about 5'9 standing next to me. For the record, I am 6'2. Shamrock was very small in height and size. I was surprised.

Cool guy though. As was Mikey Burnett, who is also a midget.

I saw karo at a seafood joint one time, he was so tiny, couldnr believe he fought nate diaz. Big korn fed dude I was with started laughing when I told him he was a former ufc fighter.

Met King Mo and took a pic with him, couldnt believe he fought at heavy weight. He looked 5'9 or 10