Why don’t UFC do tournaments?

Like bellators heavyweight tournament. I know they have TUF but it’s shit. Everyone loves a good tournament. Some divisions could really do with it to drill up interest these days

Dana doesn't want it for some reason. The sport as a whole needs more tournaments. 

I believe there's two big issues at play:

1.  It creates fan expectations about what match ups are next.  This can cause unnecessary conflict, potential leverage issues.

2.  You can have a tournament without using the word "tournament"... thereby avoiding the problems mentioned in point #1.

I'm a huge fan of tournaments, an even bigger fan of one night tournaments.  There's some sort of magic about them.  It's a shame that management doesn't see it the same way.

Doesn't limit the number of times someone would compete each year? 

They can’t schedules shit two months out, let alone a year. You think the WME goofs can handle an actual tournament? These guys are fucking retarded.

They have the ultimate fighter??? 

andyyconda -

They have the ultimate fighter??? 

Yea TUF is jut a standard tournament format. Something like that but with actual big names and a title on the line would be slick. 

AnthonyWeiner - They can't schedules shit two months out, let alone a year. You think the WME goofs can handle an actual tournament? These guys are fucking retarded.

That’s actually very true. I’ve seen several events go on sale recently with no fights scheduled lol

didnt read op but:

fights are chosen by marketability not merit because its not a legitimate sport.

but i digress. the ufc could benefit from really small tournaments. they could easily set up little paths to title shots where there is a qualifying fight, a #1 contenders fight and the title fight, and it could generally be set up over the course of 8-12 months and wouldnt be that bad. it wouldnt have the bombast of a pride tournament, but it would make the ufc seem like a legitimate sport again that choses its best fighters based on merit within the division they compete.

AnthonyWeiner - They can't schedules shit two months out, let alone a year. You think the WME goofs can handle an actual tournament? These guys are fucking retarded.

ya maybe im giving them too much credit to schedule events that far out...oh well. fuckm

UFC is just one giant, never ending tournament.

If the UFC truly loved their fans, they would do nothing but one night tournaments.

Main events fall apart over and over again. I can't imagine the disappointment of tournament matches falling apart and last second replacments. 

Waxx - 

Main events fall apart over and over again. I can't imagine the disappointment of tournament matches falling apart and last second replacments. 

True, but on the other hand, DC won the Strikeforce HWGP as an alternate, and now that victory is a bullet point in his amazing history. It can be a star-making event.

Why do not they?