Why don't Special Forces Protect the Prez?

I'm sure the SS are well trained but wouldn't you want the best of the best protecting you at all times?

They are an offensive weapon. Phone Post 3.0

I'm sure someone will call me an idiot, but I think it's because to protect the president, you'd have to apprehend civilian suspects and thus would violate the Posse Comitatus Act, which prohibits such kinds of law enforcement by our military.

You might consider that the Secret Service is all about show.  Unless someone is an idiot or part of a foolish conspiracy, making it known that an attempt is going to be made on the President's life, there really isn't much they can do.  All it takes to kill a President is a commitment to killing the President.  The act itself is straightforward, the getaway is basically impossible.

It would be a waste of those military resources to assign them to a bullshit protective detail. 

they do

The secret service are actually equal to the agents on the matrix.

They would fuck up special forces Phone Post 3.0

Different mentalities and different missions. Delta would not walk the line in a suit and marginally react to excited people. They would be kicking 10 year children as a reflex and demanding to extract the President from the podium if a horn went off. They are hardcore and only care about the mission. Politics is also about optics and the SS are high trained professionals, who understand crowd behavior, law enforcement tactics, and manners haha.

however, I would imagine that when the president travels abroad, especially to war zones, everyone is on those taskforces.

Mezla - I'm sure someone will call me an idiot, but I think it's because to protect the president, you'd have to apprehend civilian suspects and thus would violate the Posse Comitatus Act, which prohibits such kinds of law enforcement by our military.
Hmm I didn't know that Phone Post 3.0

They do, at times Phone Post 3.0

i cant go into specifics on things that are not well known but military units are assigned as part of the presidents detail for things they are job specific at for example marine snipers and the react team for marine one (presidents helicopter) are marine mp's. I cant talk about their job how many there are or where there at but sf plays a role in presidential protection in a way that fits their particular skills. i was in the marine security forces on presidential support for the white house communications agency ten years ago.

Jedburgh1 - They do, at times Phone Post 3.0

continue.....

ashleigh11 -

continue.....
Let's just say 7th Group guys are well versed in hooker etiquette, while federal agents may not be. Phone Post 3.0

Jedburgh1 - 
ashleigh11 -

continue.....
Let's just say 7th Group guys are well versed in hooker etiquette, while federal agents may not be. Phone Post 3.0

well, at least SOMEONE was watching over the president in Colombia.

Jedburgh1 - 
ashleigh11 -

continue.....

Jedburgh I played college football with a guy who is commander of 7th Special Forces Group and was previously commander of Special Forces Operational Detachment-Alpha.

Because the training for SF groups is diametrically opposed to the concept of "protecting" a target. Completely different missions.

Pernod - They are an offensive weapon. Phone Post 3.0
Some day soon at this rate. Phone Post 3.0

Tidbits - Because the training for SF groups is diametrically opposed to the concept of "protecting" a target. Completely different missions.
Except that you're completely wrong based on the experience of real operators on this very thread. Phone Post 3.0

I'm sure some Secret Service officers are former special operations. Phone Post 3.0

Completely different job and completely different training. Phone Post 3.0

A lot of the job seems to be about maintaining alertness for hours on end when 99.99% of the time nothing happens rather than being a super soldier.