Why Don't Toe Holds Work?

I see guys trying to murder each other with that toe hold! The grimace on the face of the attacker looks crazy, yet I have rarely seen guys tap from the hold.

Why is this? Is the technique designed to stretch the ligaments as opposed to tearing something apart? Phone Post 3.0

Work on normal people. The elite have crazy flexibility plus stubbornness that is extra ordinary.

dojo stormer - Work on normal people. The elite have crazy flexibility plus stubbornness that is extra ordinary.
This Phone Post 3.0

Definite works. I've had my foot popped a couple of times from toe holds. Can also torque your knee like a heel hook if the angle and leg positioning is a certain way. Always wondered how the top guys just chill there with someone cranking their foot. Phone Post 3.0

I think in part because toeholds have a fairly limited range of motion compared to, say, a typical armbar from the guard. So if the opponent's ankle is flexible enough, there is a point beyond which the person applying the submission can 't crank it anymore and the flexible ankle guy will be able to hang. With a juji-gatame style armbar even somone with very flexible elbows which hyperextend can usually be tapped.

The forearm of the hand that holds your wrist is not placed in the correct spot. The forearm needs to be on the spot where the achilies heel tendon and the calve muscles meet. It feels like a regular footlock with a lot of pain involved. Relying on just stretching the tendons on top of the foot does not always work because flexibilty varies on people.

I had a guy do a twisting toe hold on me in a competition and I had to use crutches for a week.

Pablo popovitch had two toe hold wins in Abu Dhabi this weekend Phone Post 3.0

Ray Elbe - Pablo popovitch had two toe hold wins in Abu Dhabi this weekend Phone Post 3.0

interesting... I'm going to guess that he was able move the foot to the ass and kept his elbows tight to his body...

Just seems like a lot of guess have their elbows flared and just turn the foot.  I think part of that is due to the body positions that they're typically in these days off the berimbolo defense.

Ray Elbe - Pablo popovitch had two toe hold wins in Abu Dhabi this weekend Phone Post 3.0

Popovitch was also caught by Galvao in one at ADCC a while back

They definitely work. I tore a training partners ankle real bad 12 months ago. 2 weeks on crutches for him, it was the worst sound I ever heard.

The detail that made them start working for me was to really pull the elbow of the arm grabbing your own wrist in to your body and kinda circle it around to your back as your other hand points his toes to his butt. Phone Post 3.0

Jordan Tabor - Y'all wanted to see me get fucked up anyways. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McuQjHXpB_4

foot to the ass....

Goodo - They definitely work. I tore a training partners ankle real bad 12 months ago. 2 weeks on crutches for him, it was the worst sound I ever heard.

The detail that made them start working for me was to really pull the elbow of the arm grabbing your own wrist in to your body and kinda circle it around to your back as your other hand points his toes to his butt. Phone Post 3.0

exactly like I posted... Elbows tight and push the foot to the ass.

Brian McLaughlin - 

Popovitch was also caught by Galvao in one at ADCC a while back

Popovich is also part Silverback gorilla. Abu Dhabi Top Team for the win!!!!

You think that people make the ugly face while attempting the toe hold just to make it look like they are trying really hard, just to gain the advantage point? Phone Post 3.0

Ive had pain since around march this year from a toe hold. Phone Post 3.0

i love toe holds btw.

anyone have video of Popovitch's toe hold wins??

also, notice davi ramos finishes everyone from there. So there is defiantely a trick to tapping the best with it.

My foot is jacked up now from one. Sometimes I worry more about them than heel hooks. With heel hooks I at least know it's going after my knee. With toe holds I've defended before and waited for the foot pain to tap, and then suddenly tapped to heel hook type pressure in my knee.

I think they work, just not as well at the lower weight classes. Cobrinha tapped Bruno Frazzato with one to win Worlds before, so they definitely work. I think there are a couple of main reasons they don't work as well on smaller guys. Flexible joints, stubbornness, and there's not as much size and power that can be applied as at higher weights.

Like I wonder if Palhares or Dean Lister heel hooked some of these smaller guys, would the smaller guys still not tap?

Speaking of Davi Ramos, what happened with him? I don't think I've seen him in any grappling events in a couple years. it seems like he came out guns blazing and then sort of disappeared? Is he in MMA now?

Drew Foster - My foot is jacked up now from one. Sometimes I worry more about them than heel hooks. With heel hooks I at least know it's going after my knee. With toe holds I've defended before and waited for the foot pain to tap, and then suddenly tapped to heel hook type pressure in my knee.

I think they work, just not as well at the lower weight classes. Cobrinha tapped Bruno Frazzato with one to win Worlds before, so they definitely work. I think there are a couple of main reasons they don't work as well on smaller guys. Flexible joints, stubbornness, and there's not as much size and power that can be applied as at higher weights.

Like I wonder if Palhares or Dean Lister heel hooked some of these smaller guys, would the smaller guys still not tap?

Speaking of Davi Ramos, what happened with him? I don't think I've seen him in any grappling events in a couple years. it seems like he came out guns blazing and then sort of disappeared? Is he in MMA now?

Davi Ramos did a copa podio last year. Was relatively poor.