Why hating on rory ?

He's a 23 year old dude that just defeated a LEGEND . They were talking crap to each other leading up to the fight , rory did exactly what he said he would do . He was excited and let it all show . Then he called out condit who is his only true loss...so what's to hate here . He did what he said he would and was pumped . And then followed it by wanting to redeem his loss by calling one of the baddest WWs out there. Phone Post

"On" Rory?  It's actually pretty hard to get on top of that guy.  I'm pretty sure those who hate him aren't on him.

He's a cocky prick with no personality Phone Post

shadallion - He's a cocky prick with no personality Phone Post

. Phone Post

Cityboy - People will hate no matter what, even when they have no legitimate reason to. That's just life. We would all love to be loved by everyone & hated by no one but that's impossible. What you can choose to do is embrace it as part of what makes you great.

Plus, Rory beat Penn and Diaz who have some of the worst nuthugger fans in the world

biva - I think it's because he's a bit *ahem*, wierd. Phone Post

Lol and you have met him then? Phone Post

Showboating

Mike Litoris -
biva - I think it's because he's a bit *ahem*, wierd. Phone Post

Lol and you have met him then? Phone Post

I've trained with the guy . He seemed quite but nice with everyone I was with . Phone Post

I don't hate him anymore. I hated him leading up to this fight just because of how much I wanted BJ to win (this is coming from a canadian) but I gained alot of respect for Rory in this fight....

Even though I was really dissapointed, he made BJ eat his words and Rory backed up everything he said. You can't hate on a guy who can back up everything especially against a legend like BJ.

i can find no reason to hate rory, and i like bj. i feel really bad for how badly he was beaten.

Haters being haters.

Rory is terrific, what TALENT! Can't wait to see him fight again.

Once GSP and Silva retires, the UFC needs some new superstars...thus far they only have Jones.

He didn't defeat a legend.

He defeated a shell of a former legend who is fighting in too high a weight class because he likes to eat so damn much.

He won based on size difference. Not his fault, but it's the truth.

BJ at 170 is pudgy and lacks any kind of cardio or willpower. And he's plain old out-sized by a guy like MacDonald.

Rory has nothing to toot his horn about after this fight. He beat up an older, pudgy, worn out BJ who was fighting in a weight class too high for his own good.

Rory's got talent and he'll do well in the future for sure. But he's got nothing to be cocky about after last night. He beat up a fat old rich guy who used to be a young and hungry champion. Hell, Rory said it himself before the fight. He knows BJs older and slower and heavier.

ranier wolfcastle -

i can find no reason to hate rory, and i like bj. i feel really bad for how badly he was beaten.

Yea pretty much this. It actually ended up being way worse than I thought it would be. Rory is seriously talented. There was no way he was getting out of this fight looking like anything but the bad guy. The showboating didn't help, but it's part of the game. Phone Post

Nick Diaz is supposed to be the #2 guy at WW(nuthuggers) and Rory put more of a beating on Penn than Diaz. Rory should be pretty happy.

He told BJ that it was an honor to fight him. That seems like a respectful thing to say. Phone Post

I love Rory's personality, i don't know if he's doing it on purpose to seem tough, or if that's actually what he's like, but i enjoy it.

I wasn't really rooting for anybody, as i'm kind of a penn fan as well, I was just hoping for a good fight, so i was kind of disappointed penn didn't chalenge him much at all.

People can go on all day about Penn being a lightweight, but it's his own fault he was fighting at WW undersized, and is still a legitimizing win for Rory.

Right now i would put Rory at about 5-6 in the rankings, but IMO he beats anybody at WW outside of GSP.

ranier wolfcastle - 

This except the shuffle bothered me a bit. If he has energy to shuffle, he has the energy to try and finish. Especially when there's a huge size advantage.

shadallion - 

He's a cocky prick with no personality Phone Post

And your definition of personality is?

Leck Brosnar -
Cityboy - People will hate no matter what, even when they have no legitimate reason to. That's just life. We would all love to be loved by everyone & hated by no one but that's impossible. What you can choose to do is embrace it as part of what makes you great.

Plus, Rory beat Penn and Diaz who have some of the worst nuthugger fans in the world

Bingo Phone Post

Cityboy - 
Altofsky - 

He didn't defeat a legend.

He defeated a shell of a former legend who is fighting in too high a weight class because he likes to eat so damn much.

He won based on size difference. Not his fault, but it's the truth.

BJ at 170 is pudgy and lacks any kind of cardio or willpower. And he's plain old out-sized by a guy like MacDonald.

Rory has nothing to toot his horn about after this fight. He beat up an older, pudgy, worn out BJ who was fighting in a weight class too high for his own good.

Rory's got talent and he'll do well in the future for sure. But he's got nothing to be cocky about after last night. He beat up a fat old rich guy who used to be a young and hungry champion. Hell, Rory said it himself before the fight. He knows BJs older and slower and heavier.

So what you're saying is that beating BJ Penn isnt an accomplishment?

Not nearly as big of an accomplishment as it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Age plays a factor. Not everyone ages like Randy. BJ has gotten noticeably slower over the the years. Sure, power is the last thing to go, but it's no insult to point out the fact that time is catching up with him.

Combine that with the fact that BJ was

A - Fighting outside of his natural weight class, admittedly because he likes to eat too much and is lazy.

B - Completely outsized in every way possible. Height, reach and weight.

It was a mismatch in pretty much every way possible. So in short, no, it's not nearly as big of an accomplishment for Rory as it was for Jens or Matt Hughes or Georges.

Sure, having the name BJ Penn in your win column looks great and nobody can take that away from Rory. But when you logically factor all things in, you see it for what it was. A horrible mismatch between an pudgy older fighter and a young monstrous kid making a name for himself off of it.

That's no disrespect to either of them, it's just simple observation.