Why I Don't Wear A Mask

My other thread got long and off topic.

This idea that masks are helping the general public is laughable with any amount of actual thought.

Masks are tools, and they are good tools if used properly with experience and training, that's why hospitals and doctors use them. Like any tool however, if used improperly they can have unintended consequences and be detrimental.

Everyone here thinks they're intelligent, we're all badass smart people right...right. That isn't the problem though, the problem is you're human. Surgeons have to work hard, day in and day out to behave in a way that goes against how we live as human beings...it takes a lot of training and discipline. Something that seems so easy when your badass intelligent head thinks about..but it is actually very, very, very difficult to do.

To give an example,...there are contests all around the country that give luxury cars away to the person that takes their hand off the car last, 60 or 70% lose rather quickly...why? Why can't they keep their hand on a car for $100k? Because they're human and you're making them do a very non-human thing.

If you were told to wear a mask, bandanna or anything over your face and then given an hour or hour and a half in a store to shop for your groceries but you cannot touch your hair, ears, eyes, can't adjust the mask etc. Most people would come out saying they did it. If we looked back at video footage, you'd find they touched all those things multiple times.....because you're not a shaolin monk with inhuman concentration. You and I are not trained in this discipline, it happens so subconsciously you aren't aware of it. The mask itself, also against popular preaching does not help you stop touching your face....it encourages it. For one, people are adjusting it all the time, it's a foreign object.. for two, like football helmets, people feel more invincible. "I have a mask on, I'm more protected", so they are even less inclined to concentrate on these very, very hard things.

Now, add that information to the fact that this is a fucking virus, it's everywhere. Look at how viruses and bacteria spread....you may become a germaphobe after. You are standing 6 feet from a person...YAY! Then in .2 seconds you are standing exactly where they were, breathing their air, touching the counter and credit card machine all those virus particles are settling all over you and yes your mask.. that btw does not filter out the 0.125 micron size particles..the size of COVID-19. Then you're doing the touching mentioned earlier. Your warm, moist breath is inoculating a petri dish over your nose and mouth. Trained doctors and surgeons do not use masks like this....they'd be ridiculed endlessly by their peers and reprimanded.

Then you're bringing all the shit into your house that you bought, you're grabbing the bag of chips and sitting down with a flick, touching yourself all over with the same damn clothes on you had on at the store...and before you comment....yes you are, you fucking liar. I've never seen a person disinfect themselves outside their house...because no one is doing that.

Now for the argument of "It's not for you, it's for other people"...everything I just said applies to that as well....you have it, you go out, you're spreading it just the same, mask or no mask... because of your actions as a human being.

So I don't wear one, because I know I'm human, I'm not an arrogant, self important, conceited asshole that thinks I can stop or slow viruses by behaving inhuman and then on top of it, make it worse by putting something over my mouth and nose covered in the shit.

10 Likes

CaptainWoody - My other thread got long and off topic.

This idea that masks are helping the general public is laughable with any amount of actual thought.

Masks are tools, and they are good tools if used properly with experience and training, that's why hospitals and doctors use them. Like any tool however, if used improperly they can have unintended consequences and be detrimental.

Everyone here thinks they're intelligent, we're all badass smart people right...right. That isn't the problem though, the problem is you're human. Surgeons have to work hard, day in and day out to behave in a way that goes against how we live as human beings...it takes a lot of training and discipline. Something that seems so easy when your badass intelligent head thinks about..but it is actually very, very, very difficult to do.

To give an example,...there are contests all around the country that give luxury cars away to the person that takes their hand off the car last, 60 or 70% lose rather quickly...why? Why can't they keep their hand on a car for $100k? Because they're human and you're making them do a very non-human thing.

If you were told to wear a mask, bandanna or anything over your face and then given an hour or hour and a half in a store to shop for your groceries but you cannot touch your hair, ears, eyes, can't adjust the mask etc. Most people would come out saying they did it. If we looked back at video footage, you'd find they touched all those things multiple times.....because you're not a shaolin monk with inhuman concentration. You and I are not trained in this discipline, it happens so subconsciously you aren't aware of it. The mask itself, also against popular preaching does not help you stop touching your face....it encourages it. For one, people are adjusting it all the time, it's a foreign object.. for two, like football helmets, people feel more invincible. "I have a mask on, I'm more protected", so they are even less inclined to concentrate on these very, very hard things.

Now, add that information to the fact that this is a fucking virus, it's everywhere. Look at how viruses and bacteria spread....you may become a germaphobe after. You are standing 6 feet from a person...YAY! Then in .2 seconds you are standing exactly where they were, breathing their air, touching the counter and credit card machine all those virus particles are settling all over you and yes your mask.. that btw does not filter out the 0.125 micron size particles..the size of COVID-19. Then you're doing the touching mentioned earlier. Your warm, moist breath is inoculating a petri dish over your nose and mouth. Trained doctors and surgeons do not use masks like this....they'd be ridiculed endlessly by their peers and reprimanded.

Then you're bringing all the shit into your house that you bought, you're grabbing the bag of chips and sitting down with a flick, touching yourself all over with the same damn clothes on you had on at the store...and before you comment....yes you are, you fucking liar. I've never seen a person disinfect themselves outside their house...because no one is doing that.

Now for the argument of "It's not for you, it's for other people"...everything I just said applies to that as well....you have it, you go out, you're spreading it just the same, mask or no mask... because of your actions as a human being.

So I don't wear one, because I know I'm human, I'm not an arrogant, self important, conceited asshole that thinks I can stop or slow viruses by behaving inhuman and then on top of it, make it worse by putting something over my mouth and nose covered in the shit.

It's ok dude, The world is full of stupid people, you'll be ok.

11 Likes

Yup. 

Cant wait for this stupid mask shit to go away. 

3 Likes

I dont wear a mask either, but i will be honest about it, its not for any logical or philosophical reason.  It simply hasnt become the norm in my area.

The logic for masks is here.

4 Likes

Also, this theory.

4 Likes

DY2 -

Also, this theory.

This is total cases, not per capita. Worthless comparison. 

2 Likes

I am a shaolin monk. If I'm out in public I never touch my face, I am always aware of it.  And even if there are morons out there constantly touching it and negating any protective effect for them, it still serves the purpose of limiting some of their droplet spread to others.

^Also Asians are much more experienced in this area

But they do eat live octopus's, so there's that.

turducken - 

I am a shaolin monk. If I'm out in public I never touch my face, I am always aware of it.  And even if there are morons out there constantly touching it and negating any protective effect for them, it still serves the purpose of limiting some of their droplet spread to others.

No you're not

Yes you do

No it really doesn't

1 Like

This whole aversion to mask wearing is fucking retarded.  The sooner everyone wears masks, the sooner we can get our economy going.  No vaccine or treatment is coming in a reasonable amount of time.  The mask thing is the best we have.  It's this, or sit at home with our thumbs up our asses.  

9 Likes

For the general public to wear a mask grocery shopping to slow a virus is like George the mailman driving to the hospital, throwing on a mask and walking into the operating room to assist the surgeon......that patient is probably gonna get an infection.

1 Like

Sandy Pantz -

This whole aversion to mask wearing is fucking retarded.  The sooner everyone wears masks, the sooner we can get our economy going.  No vaccine or treatment is coming in a reasonable amount of time.  The mask thing is the best we have.  It's this, or sit at home with our thumbs up our asses.  

Fucking rednecks.  Maybe we should start a war so they’ll leave for a bit.

I couldn't give a fuck about wearing a mask but you have to wear one to shop here. There is security at the entrance and I don't want to beat up some rent a cop making $7/hr over some bullshit. Hit the grocery store about once every two weeks so it's not a big deal. 

Sandy Pantz - 

Masks could very well make it worse

But what's going to happen? This thing will slow down in spite of all this isolation and mask wearing because.....that's what virus's do.

You'll claim victory and remain ignorant

Besides places like NY City we are not shut down right now because of the virus btw

CaptainWoody -

^Also Asians are much more experienced in this area

But they do eat live octopus's, so there's that.

I've tried live octopus before

it sucked

The masks are pointless. Take them off and come out of your homes.

I bet dollars to doughnuts if you made a poll of masks vs. no masks and put it alongside Trump vs, no Trump, you'd see a pretty good similarity.

The lefties are literally becoming NPC's like we joked about. They may look like Stormtroopers by November.

acai -

A Covid-19 particle size averages 0.125 microns. You would need an electron microscope to see a virus particle. A N95 mask filters it down to 0.3 microns. N95 masks block few, if any virions (virus particles). It's a simple fact which you can't argue against. Surgical masks, cloth masks, homemade masks:

1.) allow fee passage both ways (in and out) for Covid 19 virions

2.) become warm/damp/moist reservoir of Covid 19 particles in asymptomatic carriers 

For surgeons, from years of training and intimidation, are taught to touch NOTHING but their surgical field. Lay people constantly touch, re-arrange, and manipulate their "masks" all the while inoculating thousands of virus particles onto their bare or (even worse, gloved) hands. 

Therefore, these absurd masks ENCOURAGE the fomite transmission ("infected" articles-to-hand-to face transmission of the virus). 

You have no idea what you are talking about. The particle size of the virus in isolation is completely irrelevant, what matters is the particle size of transmissible virus.  And this virus is transmitted through surface and aerosolized droplets. 

An n95 mask WILL filter those particles, and a surgical mask will provide some lesser degree of protection.  Any kind of face covering will decrease droplet spread out into the world from the person wearing it.

Wearing a mask of any kind for purposes the general public would use them at the very least reduces transmission rates.  Of course a nurse wearing a cloth mask for a 12hr shift would be ridiculous and dangerous, but you can wear a cloth mask for 30mins in the grocery store and it's not going to magically turn into some filthy virus soaked damp mess, that's just ridiculous hyperbole.

5 Likes

Large scale wearing of masks is one of the most demonstrably reliable and simple things that helps against the virus. It doesn't have to be perfectly reliable to helps the odds.

You don't wear a mask because you have turned it into a dumb culture war thing.

5 Likes