Why i'm not crazy about WMMA

FRAT warning motherfuckers.

I'm not hating on wmma, I want to explain why i'm not a big wmma fan for all of the white knights who are baffled by guys who think the same way I do.

I love mma for more than anything, the unpredictability. At any point, any fight could end in a multitude of different ways. Punch, kick, knee, elbow, choke, arm lock, leg lock etc... I love technique and pure skill as well but there's nothing that excites me more than the oh shit moments. Those are the fights that I remember most.

Those are rare in wmma. Sure, I can 100% admire and respect the skill and technique shown by female fighters. But I fell in love with mma because of the primal excitement that it generates inside. Those moments are few and far between in wmma.

I could watch Joanna, Thug rose, Ronda, Cyborg, Amanda Nunes all day long. They have that spark, not many women do. Women like Holly Holm and Valentina Shevchenko are so skilled that I enjoy watching them perform all day too. But they're outliers and they aren't the most exciting to watch.

The reality for me, is that the majority of the female fights lack that feeling that some crazy shit could go down at any moment. Why that's the case, that's a whole different conversation. Most female fights are extremely forgettable to say the least. Sure, the girls are tough and brawls are very common. But they usually all end the same way.

I think we're in a weird situation that Ronda created. Let's be honest, most people didn't give a shit about wmma before Ronda. Why did she explode and lift wmma to the forefront? Because of the oh shit this could end at any moment factor. If Ronda would've won all of her fights by dominant decisions nobody would've gave a fuck. So what happened, an entire industry was put on Ronda's back.

At first, it was a fun novelty. And the whole gimmick of chicks with nice bodies rolling around on the floor is defenitely appealing. But that novelty has worn off, especially since the fall of Ronda. Now, we're at a point where the UFC is forcing wmma fights down our throats. Women that have no business fighting ahead of the men that they are. It's obviously not their fault, it's the ufc's fault.

I have no problem with women being in the ufc, but let's be real. A lot of these fights should never be on ppv cards. Putting them ahead of bouts with high level ufc veterans is an insult to the sport in my opinion. I can see what they're doing. They want to sprinkle in women's fights to get that female demographic to tune in. That's some dangerous greedy tactic these fucks are employing imo. You might just cause people to turn the channel by trying to diversify the audience you're going for.

Anyways, i'm all for wmma on the undercard if they're not title fights or known exciting fighters.
I'm not sexist, i'm not a misogynist, I just don't get excited to watch women fight. Just like I would never watch the WNBA, softball, and most women's sports in general. It doesn't mean there's any hate behind it. It just is not compelling to me. Just like I don't give a fuck about jiu jitsu competitions, wrestling matches, and why I lost interest in boxing a few years ago.

Rant fucking over.

I just plain don't like watching it. I think it is sub-standard and I think those that do like it, usually do so for all the wrong reasons.

It would be a hugely positive move in my opinion if it was removed from the UFC to its own league, be it invicta or something else.

The UFC want's to be a mainstream sport- then follow some of their models and separate the two.

This thread again.

ThatsHowIRoll -

I just plain don't like watching it. I think it is sub-standard and I think those that do like it, usually do so for all the wrong reasons.

It would be a hugely positive move in my opinion if it was removed from the UFC to its own league, be it invicta or something else.

The UFC want's to be a mainstream sport- then follow some of their models and separate the two.

Lol Ronda brought them to the mainstream

StankieEdgar -
ThatsHowIRoll -

Conor has done more for the sport than Ronda has. Ronda brought herself into the mainstream, she didn't bring the sport as a whole.

The women who watch Ronda on ellen and shit aren't buying ppv's.

StankieEdgar -
ThatsHowIRoll -

Haha you gotta be kidding me

I'mNotSurprisedMotherf**kers -
StankieEdgar -
ThatsHowIRoll -

Conor has done more for the sport than Ronda has. Ronda brought herself into the mainstream, she didn't bring the sport as a whole.

The women who watch Ronda on ellen and shit aren't buying ppv's.

No they aren't buying but they also aren't nagging their boyfriend/husbands when they do buy. They also don't make last minute plans during the event and maybe will sit though some of the fights.

I pretty much agree 100% with OP.

whatupyo - I pretty much agree 100% with OP.

Me too. I like WMMA, but not nearly as much the men's.

I quit buying PPV that have WMMA above a deserved male card.

if they are skilled woman like cyborg, rr, meisha, JJ,etc I'm fine with it but I don't want to watch Magana,bec, or some of the other less skilled woman.

although I do like pena and liz phillips because they bring it but they could also fall under the unskilled umbrella. pena maybe not so much but what is liz good at besides brawling.

If you applied this mindset to mma in general you would have stopped watching in the 90's.  WMMA is still in it's early stages and it's ranks are basically filled with hobbyists.  Even the majority of regular MMA is still mostly filled with hobbyists.  Eventually when the athletes start fighting we'll get better fights.  I think the real limiting factor is the fighter size.  WMMA has the same issues as the same weight male classes in that not many can knock a fighter out.  Mighty mouse is one of the most skilled guys in the sport and has none of the problems you have with WMMA but just like WMMA not a lot of people actually want to see him fight.  If you like watching Mighty Mouse, then eventually you might start liking WMMA if more skilled life long fighters start joining the ranks.

Same reason I don't watch the WNBA.

StankieEdgar -
ThatsHowIRoll -

What a load of ABSOLUTE bollocks. Piss off

Fact is, WMMA is an inferior product for obvious biological reasons. It is and always will be inferior, just like any female sport vs. male sport.

Strength, speed, explosive movements, technique (largely), and aggression - all lacking in female sports vs. Males. This is a fact of life. The UFC needs to stop forcing this shit down put throat, and OP I competely agree that it's not he fighters fault or Rondas fault, but this situation is simply the fallout from her rise to fame.

Ultimate surrender>wmma

I'm not convinced there will ever be a large pool of talented, athletic women willing to get their teeth knocked out for $8k + $8k.

OP's post and 3 previous posts above mine are the TRUTH

Don't watch it, not interested in it. 

coulda summed that up with a simple, "cause they're women."