Why is Cormier Getting Progessively Easier Fights?

What's the deal with this awful matchmaking?

When he fought Bigfoot that was a huge step up for someone so new in the game and DC dominated. Barnett was the logical progression: a top 10 fighter for the past decade and Cormier passed with flying colors. Then he gets Mir, which is obvs a step down from Josh, but a welcome to the UFC showcase fight. You'd figure he'd get a top guy next, but for some reason he's fighting Roy Nelson, which is the type of opponent he should have been fighting after he beat Monson, not after crushing Bigfoot and Barnett and Murr.

Why are they giving Cormier a gimme fight here? Makes no sense, he should be fighting a top 5 HW, not the divisional gatekeeper.

He's going down to 205.No reason to give him a contender to beat when the division is already thin.Although a long shot, Roy could beat him.Its a decent fight. Phone Post 3.0

It's not so much about whether DC is taking a step up as it is about Nelson getting beat down. Remember that whole "we have a deep roster and don't have room for gatekeepers who can't win big fights" thing? Roy is going to be cut number 2 under that policy.

Heavyweight is too thin to have him beat a real contender and then move down. Phone Post

I heard that Joe Silva is gonna give him Fred Ettish if he beats Nelson and gets down to 215

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Heavyweight is too thin to have him beat a real contender and then move down. Phone Post

Crazy you had to actually explain this.

Would think its common sense.  DC wont fight the champ Cain and is gonna drop to LHW.   lets feed him a top HW contender in a thin div so he can possibly knock off a Werdum and then leave the div leaving Cain if he beats JDS with even fewer options than he has now.

3rdLion where you at motherfucker? its gif time

He's not going to 205. He almost died cutting weight for the Olympics. He's gonna be a chub rock HW and fight 2 Saints after he sleeps Cain again...unless Ranger Stott needs an opponent, then Cormier gets him.

Cormier isn't going to lose a kidney just so Jon Jones can smash him up.

Bobby Lupo - He's not going to 205. He almost died cutting weight for the Olympics. He's gonna be a chub rock HW and fight 2 Saints after he sleeps Cain again...unless Ranger Stott needs an opponent, then Cormier gets him.

My understanding is he nearly died because he was way overweight and tried to cut way too much. But would be fine doing it the right way and from the right weight. Phone Post

Cormier wanted this fight Phone Post 3.0

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Bobby Lupo - He's not going to 205. He almost died cutting weight for the Olympics. He's gonna be a chub rock HW and fight 2 Saints after he sleeps Cain again...unless Ranger Stott needs an opponent, then Cormier gets him.

My understanding is he nearly died because he was way overweight and tried to cut way too much. But would be fine doing it the right way and from the right weight. Phone Post

Exactly. There's a difference between losing weight (BF) and cutting weight (water/sweat). DC has plenty of BF to drop. Not hating, it's a fact Phone Post 3.0

I don't believe DC will drop to 205. Unless they offer him a title shot against Bones to do it. Only way I see it happening.

Vote me down - I don't believe DC will drop to 205. Unless they offer him a title shot against Bones to do it. Only way I see it happening.

Why would he stay at HW? He's obviously slimming down. And Dana has pretty much said, Cormier and Jones are going to fight. Phone Post

he just weighed in at 224!! Of course he is going to LHW.

He is moving down and it's a fun fight. No reason to complain. Phone Post

jiujitsu100 - he just weighed in at 224!! Of course he is going to LHW.
This surely. I know Joe said 244 but he corrected himself and DC did look a bit leaner. Phone Post 3.0

It's the perfect fight for someone who is slowly cutting for LHW. Roy is one of the smaller guys in the weight division, and has a huge name. This puts DC's name out there for the casual fan and if he wrecks Roy then he most likely gets a number one contender match at LHW right away, possibly an immediate title shot depending on the buzz. Phone Post

Cormier has only fought big, slow, unathletic guys and Roy is no different. This is not the road to Jon Jones. Cormier beats guys that move like they're moving in quicksand. He's not fighting the athletes at 205. Phone Post 3.0

They need to split the weight class.

Wow. No offense to Mir, but Roy is hardly a step down from him. He hits much harder, has a far better chin than all the mentioned previous opponents in the op, and has beaten Mir twice in bjj tourneys.
DC is a beast, but this will be a huge test for him. He hits very hard, but nobody (including JDS) can downplay Roy's granite chin.
He's got great wrestling, but Roy has great tdd, and better jj than Mir. And Cormier has never fought anyone with the one shot ko power of Nelson.
I dunno what the odds are in this fight, but if they're in favor of DC, the smart money's on Roy... (of course that doesn't mean easy money)
... DC will either prove he's worthy of his accolades, or if he's just as overrated as the many nay Sayers say in this fight. .. both are strong possibilities. Phone Post