Why is Griffin mad at Helwani?

Curious what his issue with Ariel Helwani is, I heard he blocked him from twitter. I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't find out why when I searched on here and google.

Does all this have anything to do with the rape/Twitter drama?

The LHW division is really hard on Ariel.

KevinMcAllister - The LHW division is really hard on Ariel.

Hahaha, this is actually quite true.

It seems like lately Ariel is asking too many questions that you should just not ask. He's pissing guys off, and I think everyone is probably getting sick of him.

I think Helwani brought up the Griffin rape comment in a video interview with Dana White and was the first person to do that. And this happened before the drama with Rashad Evans and Miguel Torres. Helwani tends to bring up a lot of hot button issues that get discussed on MMA message boards.

That's why Ariel is awesome. He asks tough questions that are on alot of peoples mind. Many journalist either don't know to ask, or are too scared. He's very tactful with how he presents them.

That being said, Ariel BETTER ask Dana about the differences between firing Miguel Torres, yet keeping motorboat Rampage/going on a rampage Jackson, Joe Rogan and his 13yr old teacher rape comments, Forrests' rape comment, and Rashad's rape comment.

Ariel wouldn't present it like, "what about the double standard in....."

He'd use tact and say, "alot of people are up and arms and cannot figure out the difference as to why you would cut Torres, but keep fighters like such and such on the roster for similar incidents. What's the difference?"

ariel asks the questions we want asked, that every other reporter is scared to ask.

there is literally no point watch a karyn bryant interview or whoever else there is because they ask the same generic boring lame ass questions.

ariel provides entertainment and gets the nitty gritty info needed.

molsonmuscle360 - It seems like lately Ariel is asking too many questions that you should just not ask. He's pissing guys off, and I think everyone is probably getting sick of him.

You're an idiot. That's his fuckin job. Phone Post

D241, Ariel sort of did address all that in the Torres interview with White sans not asking about Rampage and Rogan.

Whether you agree with his reasoning or not, all that was discussed.

Also what Rampage did was ages ago and court of public opinion is already adjourned on it. No one cares about what Rampage did here or there anymore. It's all about the Evans and Torres show now.

D241 -  That's why Ariel is awesome. He asks tough questions that are on alot of peoples mind. Many journalist either don't know to ask, or are too scared. He's very tactful with how he presents them.

This, being a reporter/journalist can be a tough gig. The people want you to ask the tough questions, if you don't you get labeled a shill and a "company man". But if you ask the tough questions you run into the possibility of having the people your interviewing getting pissed at you and never allowing you to interview them again, thus making you unemployed.

Am I off base here? Any reporters/journalists disagree with me here? Ariel, Crooklyn, etc?

I think its hilarious all the media "issues" in MMA. Zuffa would absolutely die under normal press scrutiny. They need to start moving toward that because in that sense Dana is absolutely right, we live in a "bubble". For all the "drama" you hear, MMA journalism is insanely neutered and watered down. The REAL media can be absolutely doggedly relentless.

It legitmatley worries me that Dana doesn't seem to be willing to face that kind of media, even though I personally believe he has the capability and tenacity to really go to war with ANY, say it again, ANY newsroom.

the geek, Rampage still speaks with Ariel so he will never get shut out completely. Dana White seems to be like Helwani a lot so it's not like he can never speak to them again.

Notice how after Tito Ortiz refused to answer, Dana White made a joke and then "encouraged" Tito Ortiz to answer Helwani's question. Helwani is an award winning journalist and a big part of this industry now. He's always at almost every event trying to get the word on big stories. He broke a lot of big stories this year as well.

TheVileOne - the geek, Rampage still speaks with Ariel so he will never get shut out completely. Dana White seems to be like Helwani a lot so it's not like he can never speak to them again.

Notice how after Tito Ortiz refused to answer, Dana White made a joke and then "encouraged" Tito Ortiz to answer Helwani's question. Helwani is an award winning journalist and a big part of this industry now. He's always at almost every event trying to get the word on big stories. He broke a lot of big stories this year as well.

I hear ya bud.

Thanks for the answers, I can always count on the UG. I completely agree that Ariel is the best, because he's not afraid to ask a tough question or two that some of these nut hugging journalists are too afraid to ask. Athletes (in all sports) today are way too sensitive and think they are above criticism. I love Forrest, but he's been acting very condescending and aggressive towards journalists lately.

Ariel tweeted a poll question asking if people were offended by Rashad's comment, Forrest replied "no" and Ariel followed up in later tweets by asking him if he would still be ok with Rashad's comment if he was one of the victims.

I can see why Forrest would get annoyed at someone personalising something like that especially when Forrest simply said he wasn't offended by Rashad's comment as Rashad wasn't mocking the victims. He wasn't exactly saying he thought people should make those kinds of comments or that he found it funny.

At the same time, Forrest Griffin is sort of in the middle of this conversation. Everyone is bringing up his past Twitter transgression now. I don't think that's attention he wants.

Is there any one thing to show why Tito doesn't like Ariel? I've seen him do interviews with him before. I wonder what changed

antifanboy devon, before the Ortiz/Bader fight, at the press conference Helwani started to ask Bader what he thought about Ortiz saying he thought Bader was weak with his wrestling. Ortiz then got mad at Helwani at the same press conference and said he didn't say those things to Helwani and claimed that Helwani was "putting words in his mouth."

It will blow over. Rampage still talks with Helwani all the time. Ortiz was "angry" at Helwani at this press conference and Dana White basically shut down Ortiz and told him, "Knock it off and answer his question."

molsonmuscle360 - It seems like lately Ariel is asking too many questions that you should just not ask. He's pissing guys off, and I think everyone is probably getting sick of him.

Well unlike athletes from real sports, MMA fighters are not used to answering questions from real journalists.