Why is it so difficult to purchase a suppressor?

Seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops. What is the logic and/or fear behind the control of a suppressor?

I mean, it's easier to buy a gun than a suppressor, and you can't do anything with a suppressor without a gun.

Someone looking to climb up a bell tower! Phone Post 3.0

At least you can buy suppressors. Phone Post 3.0

Mike Litoris - At least you can buy suppressors. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, sure, but it's a pain in the ass.

I don't even want one, I just want to know why it's such a pain in the ass. It doesn't make sense to me.

shit, i'd love to be able to get one here in Ca. butt fuck us they do.

Why is it so difficult to purchase explosive arrows?

I mean, it's easier to buy a bow than an explosive arrow, and you can't do anything with an explosive arrow without a bow.

BarkLikeADog - Why is it so difficult to purchase explosive arrows?

I mean, it's easier to buy a bow than an explosive arrow, and you can't do anything with an explosive arrow without a bow.

Really not the same thing. The only function a suppressor changes on a firearm is to make it quieter. They actually make a firearm less lethal because they slow down the round as it leaves the barrel. 

An explosive arrow is louder, and more dangerous then a regular arrow. It is inherently more dangerous due to it being explosive, and doesn't need to be fired out of the intended weapon to explode.

A suppressor by itself is a metal, fairly fragile metal tube, and as dangerous as other metal tubes that are fairly fragile. They also cannot explode.

ignorant fear basically. It's the same reason hollow point rounds are not allowed in many states. Despite that they are perfect for home/self defense because they don't over penetrate and richochet

Ita not a lot of work, just a lot of time. The paperwork only takes a few minutes if you gun store is worth a Damn. Phone Post 3.0

Suppressors actually increase velocity in most cases. Phone Post 3.0

You would think that for safety to hearing they would be allowed

TheSergeK - Suppressors actually increase velocity in most cases. Phone Post 3.0

My bad, thought the dispersion of gasses through the suppressor slow the bullet.

But why is the wait time so long? Why is it even regulated in the first place? I know you to be knowledgable in these areas.

Because they'll turn everyone who owns one into a unstoppable, uncatchable psychopathic super assassin or sniper. Duh.

I know someone that purchased one through a trust. It reduces some of the liability and allows others to use it in their company. Phone Post 3.0

Gun control act of 1934. There really is no legitimate reason to regulate them as they are. Hell , they are completely unregulated in the UK. Phone Post 3.0

Dark Knight - You would think that for safety to hearing they would be allowed

That's a pretty good argument for it, I mean that's basically the whole point. I live in a pretty rural area, and while I don't have "neighbors" per se, they've never complained about my shooting but I bet they'd appreciate it if it was quieter.

I did have some moms (I assume) call the cops on me while I was shooting one evening, they were a good mile and a half away at a kid's baseball game. They "didn't think I should be doing that." The cop was awesome, complimented my rifle, just had to make I wasn't doing anything illegal, and told me I could keep shooting if I wanted to.

TheSergeK - Gun control act of 1934. There really is no legitimate reason to regulate them as they are. Hell , they are completely unregulated in the UK. Phone Post 3.0

I always hope for some logic behind these things. Nope. There never is.

WildFireJoe - 
TheSergeK - Gun control act of 1934. There really is no legitimate reason to regulate them as they are. Hell , they are completely unregulated in the UK. Phone Post 3.0

I always hope for some logic behind these things. Nope. There never is.

No one back then to stand up and stop it

There is loophole. There is some sort of device that looks like an oil filter that performs an action but also acts as a suppressor Phone Post 3.0

Just use a potato as a suppressor like in the movie South Central.