Why Is The U.S. Not EMP Proof???

Why not?

It would seem that this is the biggest threat we face and we sit here with out pants around our ankles waiting for it.

And the technology exists to protect the power grid.

Too expensive. Too vast.

have to pay for a wall first.

Not that big of a deal really.  It's basically y2k.

White347LX - 

Having every electrical device fried is not a big deal?

What tech is there to protect against it?  I've never looked into this beyond knowing what an EMP is...sounds interesting

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Somebody is reading.

great book

Cost and priority level. The power goes out on my section of our local grid with a mild storm. I'm more concerned about them updating the grid than I'm worried that some terrorist is going to be able to pull enoug of it down to make it a worthy level threat of my limited internal worrying resources. 

Mencken -

What tech is there to protect against it?  I've never looked into this beyond knowing what an EMP is...sounds interesting

There are ways to "harden" electronics. Extra insulation, shielding, etc. I believe the majority of military gear is hardened.

A question I have. Let's say they did whatever needed to be done to protect the grid. Would consumer products just cause the EMP to feedback into the grid and fry it anyway??

Cause the gubment wouldn't be able to use it against us and blame it on North Korea, duhhh!

I believe it requires a faraday shield to protect electronics from an EMP. Would you like a large metal bubble over the US cause that's what it would take. 

The foreword of One Second After is the scariest part. Newt Gingrich says it's not a matter of will it will happen, but when. 

Bring it on.....

Because there is no way to protect everything from emp without huge costs. 

Z NEDCMK1 -

Somebody is reading.

This. Read that book and it scared the fuck out of me. 

e. kaye -
White347LX - 

An emp is not going to wipe out every electrical device. That is just a fairy tale scare tactic.

An emp large enough to take out the whole power grid would require so much energy that the physical damage caused would far exceed the damage from loosing power.

EMP attack isn't the real threat here. It would require dozens of weapons to take down the grid across the US. A carrington scale solar event is the real issue. Thay could take down the grid in an entire hemisphere, in a matter of seconds. Then we'd really be fucked. 

And it would be a simple matter to produce and store the backups to the pieces that would need to be replaced. That would cut recovery time from years to weeks or even days. But no, we need to give away billions every year to useless shit instead of taking a simple precaution.

Pretjah - 
Z NEDCMK1 - 

Somebody is reading.

great book

in the book it's amazing how quick people start eating eachother

http://www.davisseminars.com/files/EMP_101.pdf

e. kaye -
White347LX - 

Mayfield -
e. kaye -
White347LX - 

An emp is not going to wipe out every electrical device. That is just a fairy tale scare tactic.

An emp large enough to take out the whole power grid would require so much energy that the physical damage caused would far exceed the damage from loosing power.

Respected forum member Mayfield has won this thread by armbar early in round one.

White347LX -
e. kaye -
White347LX - 

Thats it....I unfriend you