Why isn't ABC the universal commission for MMA?

Each U.S. state has "athletic commission," only regulating MMA/boxing- no other sport- and they use ABC's rules and regulations- right? 

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have ABC as the commission for MMA, with competent individuals with MMA backgrounds? I'm guessing every state capitalized on calling the sport illegal if they weren't getting a piece of the pie- but aren't we past that stage of not being a sport?

Most states, if not every state, collects sales tax. Since they use ABC's system- what does each state do outside of playing police for the MMA events (to assure their cut) with some requiring more paperwork than others (medicals/license apps)? I don't know about all, some commissions require double digit percentage of gross for every event- including upfront fees that range three to four digits. Is any of that money going into furthering/bettering the sport? 

Unless I am missing something- I don't see why ABC isn't the only commission involved with MMA and why UFC doesn't have their own commission like NFL/NBA. It'd be nice to not have the politicians and individuals with ZERO background in MMA- but more importantly- a universal commission that has the income going into furthering the sport. I don't understand why MMA/boxing has a middleman. Seems mafia-like. 

Feel me in and let me know what you think would be best.

Johnny Hollywood

Because every state would need to pass a law delegating the ABC this power Phone Post 3.0

I think it would a beast. To have on regulating body across all 50 states. Imagine if other public services were similar? We not just have one police force nationwide, etc. too much to manage and too much states rights debate.

The ABC is just an association that forces the states to come together and agree on some things, like rules. It would be a huge bear for one organization to govern, sanction, and oversee all of MMA. There was over 1500 sanctioned MMA events last year in the Us. That would be quite an undertaking.

I do work very closely with the commissions and the ABC so would be glad to answer any more questions you have Johnny. Phone Post 3.0

I see the comparison to how the other major sports run and you make a good point. The NFL is a brand and its commission is private, same as MLB, etc I believe so not sure why the UFC couldn't do something similar.

But I do think in the interest of fighter safety you don't want the company making the money being in charge of regulation . Phone Post 3.0

Jason - I see the comparison to how the other major sports run and you make a good point. The NFL is a brand and its commission is private, same as MLB, etc I believe so not sure why the UFC couldn't do something similar.

But I do think in the interest of fighter safety you don't want the company making the money being in charge of regulation . Phone Post 3.0

**edited wording in a sentence

I disagree in regards to "interest of fighter safety." If it was only between ABC, USADA, and UFC- the sport would go much better and there would be a much better system in favor of everyone. You have to remember, UFC is the one setting the bar- not the state commissions. Example- if a state doesn't require all of the usual medicals- UFC still requires full medicals for each fighter to be able to fight- even though that takes up more time, paperwork and money. When it comes to building the sport and fighter safety- nobody has more interest than UFC.

Are you familar with publicly traded companies and their board of directors? Their interest is typically focused on what's best in the big picture and stock holders- without money being the key factor, right? Taking that system with USADA and ABC included- I think the sport would be much better off. Commissions main involvement is money/control and majority have zero MMA background- that's the biggest problem.

unfortunately the ABC is not a federal organization. It is an coalition of individual athlete commissions that work together under the guidance of the Muhammed Ali act, of which MMA isn't even a part of it.

It would be nice to have a world-wide organization, but not sure it's feasible.

Instead of the comparison of a publicly traded company- how about a mirror image of NFL's private commission. I think that would be best for the fighters more than anyone. 

Chris - 

unfortunately the ABC is not a federal organization. It is an coalition of individual athlete commissions that work together under the guidance of the Muhammed Ali act, of which MMA isn't even a part of it.

It would be nice to have a world-wide organization, but not sure it's feasible.

Good information I didn't know- thank you for that. That's the kinda info I was looking for to make sense of what I was asking.

Why isn't ABC part of the ALI act and federal? Or what is stopping that from happening, so things can run like the other major sports? It seems to me that it's all about each state capitlizing on the money based on calling the sport illegal if they aren't getting a piece of the pie. 

You want the same people that run the tsa to sanction mma? The states are fucking it up enough... It would be 100x worse under the feds

We need private refs and judges that can be held accountable, not government hacks Phone Post 3.0

Also- I hate how each state is different with rules/regulations instead of being uniform / universal with everything. CA requirements are a lot different than some states- which forces fighters to sometimes strategize where they fight. 

I have been saying for years that each commission and organization should allow the fighters to make weight before the public portion, so fighters are rehydrated with a mock weigh-in to avoid the long waiting game. I'm glad to see CA finally doing this, but the catch is telling the fighter how much they can and can't cut.

jacktripper - You want the same people that run the tsa to sanction mma? The states are fucking it up enough... It would be 100x worse under the feds

We need private refs and judges that can be held accountable, not government hacks Phone Post 3.0

Is this to me or someone else? My whole point is eliminating the government so the sport isn't being held down in many ways.

Each individual commission has their own variations on the rules, even if they're mostly minute (like the 2 lbs. allowance in New Mexico). Each state also approved fighter licenses and probably wouldn't give that up. Each state punishes differently, each state trains their own judges (or approves them at least). Montana doesn't even regulate MMA last I checked, just issue fighter licenses if fighters pass a physical. Not every state regulates kickboxing, which is slowly gaining popularity. Some state commissions also have a small amount of oversight for pro-wrestling (mostly just promoter licenses, although some can request medical physicals, which is how Yokozuna lost his job with the WWF), which the ABC has zero to do with.

Furthermore, this isn't limited to individual U.S. States, you have tribal commissions (some of which may decide to abolish commissions altogether rather than face increased oversight), and numerous Canadian commissions. You also have the Malta commission, of all things, which joined the ABC after a falling out with the European federation that overseas lost European boxing. If the ABC wanted to make sure no non-North American commission ever joined them ever again, a good way would be to remove autonomy by removing all the member commissions.

Finally, a combined commission would be, as stated, a beast, and appeals would take far longer. Overall it's like asking different states to have a unified court system with unified laws. The states don't really want that for a lot of reasons. This is your true dealbreaker.

However, if every individual state, reservation, and Canadian province passed a joint resolution, perhaps coordinated through the Uniform Law Commission (this wouldn't be a high priority for them but would be your best bet) and their Canadian counterpart, you could get your wish. Phone Post 3.0

HollywoodCase -

Instead of the comparison of a publicly traded company- how about a mirror image of NFL's private commission. I think that would be best for the fighters more than anyone. 

You would still need each state to voluntarily relinquish power. Not going to happen. Much like the UFC/USADA deal, a private organization can try to run the show however they see fit but that private agreement won't overrule any State laws and regulations. Phone Post 3.0

Not got a clue about any of this, but one way the sport is sure to keep growing is if fighters such as yourself take an active and vested interest in matters like this to help improve the sport long term Johnny. It's good to see Phone Post 3.0