Why isn't genki sudo the most popular fighter?

He is my favorite fighter of all time.

What a shame he retired, was racking up a lot of injuries apparently.

^That's a shame.

WE ARE ALL ONE, YOU FAGGOTS.

i dont like highlight video that have fucking TOOL in them

lol.
"mockery."
its not like he would break out a little fuckin' dance that he did one time a match to fuck with people, or dance while his opponent threw a combination and shrug off each attack in the middle of a fight

he just moved wierd, all the time. it let him last standing when his standup was decent at best, and it kept his opponent guessing all the time, all without even throwing a jab or changing levels. i personally thought it was genius.

plus, he was exciting. all the time. phenomenal grappling and good wrestling.

The guy was sometimes fun to watch, sometimes frustrating. If he didn't see an opening he would refuse to engage the other fighter, doing his little dances until the opponent got frustrated and gave him a n opening. Im not saying it wasn't effective, just that I don't enjoy that sort of tactic. I don't like foot stomps either, so its just personal preference.

That said he pulled off some great shit like that Shooto win where he was helicoptering his opponent by his ankles and dropped into a foot lock.

As far as ho good he was, well right now IMO he'd be lucky to be top 20 at 155.

B_Goetz - I don't like fighters who fight easy competition and then mock them.
Yeah, because BANG LUWIG is so easy he can dance in front of his and walk backwards towards him

I think the real answer is in the question, because Genki became less of a "fighter" and more of an "entertainer". And if you dispute that fact, the man himself said so the last few years that he competed.

He could have been an all time great "fighter" but instead his focus and approach changed. There is nothing wrong with that, but, if he had the mindset of a "fighter", I think his matches (both performance and opponents) would have been much different during his waning years.

He was still awesome, no doubt.

"voorhees - Naah,I dont blame myself and I'm calm.I blame people who hear what they want to hear and respond basically only in absolutes."

Son, my repsonse wasnt necessarily absolute.

You seem to have not a clue to who you speaking with.

He would have rather lost an exciting fight than to have won a boring one, that is why I will always be a fan.

I mean who gives up the back to go for a calve crusher? Genki! That's who.

Always been a big fan of Genki, hell I still rock his t-shirt. And that shirt is worn the hell out after all these years -lol.

Triangles summed it up well for me; he's rather lose and give the fans a good fight than win and bore the shit out of everybody.

Did it diminish his legacy? Maybe if you just look at stats but watching him compete in the day was always a gas. I always looked forward to any fight Genki was a part of.

His Royler fight will always be legendary to me and there's no shame in losing to Kid.

Towards the end of his career it was pretty obvious that he was putting more time into
his pre-fight entrances than actual training for the event. Case in point is his fight against
Ole Laursen. He barely beat a guy who had no professional fights and looked pretty bad
doing it. People can dig on 'antics' or whatever, but that was his whole schtick and it got
boring after awhile. His last few fights were pretty frustrating to watch because of his
antics. I don't hate the guy or anything it's just that I don't think he was real interested
in MMA when he was fighting in K-1.

Genki is awesome!

Ensanity -
B_Goetz - I don't like fighters who fight easy competition and then mock them.
Yeah, because BANG LUWIG is so easy he can dance in front of his and walk backwards towards him

I don't know what you're trying to say here. He lost to Ludwig. He started with his mockery in the first round, and Duane was cautious. By the second, he was just wading in and punishing him for it, and in the third Sudo stopped doing it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x1c2nb

Is there anything more sad than hating on Sudo? Is advocating banality now considered a character virtue?

B_Goetz - 
Ensanity -
B_Goetz - I don't like fighters who fight easy competition and then mock them.

I don't know what you're trying to say here. He lost to Ludwig. He started with his mockery in the first round, and Duane was cautious. By the second, he was just wading in and punishing him for it, and in the third Sudo stopped doing it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x1c2nb

yeah he lost, but was SCREWED in that fight

so much so that the UFC ended up changing the rules about standups, because of that fight

without a doubt my all time favorite.

here's the actual quote(I think tomatocan first said it)

"if you don't like genki sudo, then you're an asshole"

one of my all time favourites

Genki put a little show into MMA and he did it the right way and didnt use any of the BS you usually see...... a great entertainer and a great fighter....dude looked like he was having fun while fighting.

People talk shit on here and its a sad fact that many of the so called experts here make comments on people they will never have a fraction of the talent of

sad but true

This thread has much comedy gold.
So far my top 3, in order are:

3)
"Is there anything more sad than hating on Sudo? Is advocating banality now considered a character virtue?"

2)
"If you don't like Genki Sudo, you're a dick and no one
likes you either."

But really, who can top:
1)
"WE ARE ALL ONE, YOU FAGGOTS."