Why isn't San Shou more popular?

www.RoninServices.net

Brad has won the Arnold Classic the last 3 years in a row . He's no Sam Kasmeeka, though.

dennisv: wow, that hurts!

San what...what the crap is this suppose to be

I always love the highly educated, well constructed, insightful posts this place produces .....

lkfmdc- check your mma.tv mail.

right back atcha :)

"what is San Da?"

post by Adam Cannon in 3, 2 , ....

by the way, DVD of the last pic, Sept super fights, is available now at www.MarkNegron.com

I like San Shou, but after watching so much MMA, San Shou is like what the NBA would be if you were only allowed three dribbles before having to pass the ball or shoot it.

understood, but you could make the same comparison to boxing (no kicks) muay thai (no throwing or takedowns)
bjj/judo/sambo/wrestling (no striking)..

As a judoka, throwing is my favorite part of the format so I especially wish the clinch was longer!

but for a standup art, Sanshou has a very wide set of rules.

It is a great way to develop MMA stand up... the best way I've seen... I like MMA, I support it, but I see San Da as PART of the picture...

exactly..

I love thai boxing! I think thai boxing is brutal and badass powerful and the best strikers in the world (Ramon Dekker is a farang God.)

but I think that for MMA, you need to combine those elements with more clinching, pummeling, wrestling and throwing and while you can study lots of wrestling and judo etc, no one is throwing punches at you while you do it..

And you don't have to come from a sanshou team to start fighting in sanshou events. Brad is a judo/kickboxing guy. Cung was a wrestler/tkd guy, lots of muay thai guys in it.

MMA people can (and should imho) compete in all kinds of formats and this one is very well suited to the multi fauceted skills you need in MMA.

There was a badass video mixed with music floating around on the world championships (I believe). Very aggresive and cool fighting on there.

Found the vid on subfighter...I think that you need to be registered to watch.

http://www.subfighter.com/modules.php?name=Digital_Goods&op=getdetailed&lid=406

Dave Ross has made anybody who has read his posts on the subject not give it the benefit of the doubt out of pure, unadulterated spite.

It's actually some great action when people are evenly matched. So is shootboxing. Unfortunately, Cung Le doesn't want to be evenly matched when he's got his biggest fights on PPV, so nobody gets to see that.

do a search on the UG for keyword sanshou and I've linked it before.

Because the idea of taking a guy to the ground and not being able to finish him is retarded. San Shou is like, Judo with Strikes.

Actually it's very practical for self defense as was it's purpose in the military origin.

everyone is entitled to an opinion, but a lot of people like it because it is all stand up action...

"but a lot of people like it because it is all stand up action..."

my asking about the art came after seeing the Cung Le fights on ESPN2. thought it was cool to see a style that seems to encompass the full range of stand up...from strikes to throw downs. (and from what i've seen of him on TV, Cung Le looks unstoppable.)

it is too bad there aren't more "legit" schools in CA.