Why Justin Gaethje tossed the belt aside

Justin Gaethje put on a momentous performance vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 on Saturday night, capped by UFC president Dana White strapping on the interim lightweight title belt. However, by the time Joe Rogan made it over to Gaethje, the fighter had tossed the belt aside.

Gaethje, who was won nine performance bonuses in the last seven fights, explained why at the post-fight conference.

"That’s the competitor in me and that’s the mindset I have to have to face the challenge that is Khabib,” explained Gatheje, as transcribed by Danny Segura and John Morgan for MMA Junkie. “I can’t think of myself as the champion because for one I’m not and for two Khabib is still there.

“Again, I can’t become complacent. People think they’re unbeatable, that’s what will kill you in this sport. I’m human, if you shake my brain I will go to sleep and he almost did at the end of the second, but the good thing is that I’m fighting humans, so I just perform.”

“I’m a competitor I’ve been competing since I was four years old. I’m a showoff, I know how many people were watching and it makes me happy knowing how good I made people feel, that feels great. It’s pure exhilaration, just screaming. Not just in this country, but all over the world. I get messages from all over the world saying how they’re my fans. Humans recognize effort and I give max effort every single time.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGNTCpAZ1Q

![](upload://h0NwFl6x1EHJusAcBIV5GGF4iML.gif)

![](upload://aaqPzCQWPu2Rsbpj5fyDLgTpGSe.gif)

He gives awesome interviews. A winner mindset. Even after a defeat.

“Humans recognize effort and I give max effort every single time.”

Hell yeaaaaaahhh

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4cPmBbh24

He's something else. Just an incredibly driven individual. Huge fan.

Have become a huge JG fan over the past few fights. In the beginning, against Poirier and Alvarez, he simply looked like a banging goofball with limited fight IQ. How wrong was I, especially watching last night's clinic against such a tricky opponent. Can't wait to see him against Khabib!

Were there any people that didn’t know why he threw the belt? What other reason would there be? 

shamrockGOATmma -

Were there any people that didn’t know why he threw the belt? What other reason would there be? 

I thought he was protesting human rights abuses in The Congo.

I’m immensely impressed with Justin’s approach to the game. Fan for life. 

The interim belt is just a guaranteed title shot. They want the real strap

shamrockGOATmma -

Allergic to belts - derr