why 'Master' Lloyd Irvin

Why is Lloyd Irvin called 'Master'? This doesnt seem very BJJ like. Does he require his students to call him Master?

Interesting choice given that none of the BJJ gods like Carlos, Carlson, Helio, Rickson... ever insisted on such a title, at least as far as I know. Seems rather TMA, but you gotta give Lloyd credit for a good school and profitable business.

I can understand Shen requiring his students to call him by more formal titles, but he is teaching them something more awesome than BJJ...

My guess is that he's the Master at his gym?

That or he not only teaches BJJ but also mma and no gi grappling?

I think in BJJ gi only they can be called Master at Coral belt iirc

It is a marketing ploy. He, or someone mentions that, somwhere.

traneufcisback -  It is a marketing ploy. He, or someone mentions that, somwhere.

good way to destroy reputation if true

Bmizner -
traneufcisback -  It is a marketing ploy. He, or someone mentions that, somwhere.

good way to destroy reputation if true

Seems like he's doing just fine. Phone Post

seems a bit pretentious for BJJ but one cannot question his school or commercial success.

seems pretty TMA, too.

Fuzzy Badfeet -  the "master" thing has nothing to do with BJJ formality. you can read marcos avellans explanaition in the thread stickied at top of forum

Actually, if he's not a BJJ gym owner he can't read it....as post reads "VIDEO FOR BJJ GYM OWNERS ONLY".

What does it say anyway?

Well, unless the title was legitimately awarded according to the rules and by laws of a legit organization (e.g. SBJJA, Shendokai, etc), I would take any such tile with a grain of salt.

not that lloyd could give a fuck, but the 'master' appellation is one reason i won't ever train with him. unless it really is just some marketing bullshit and everyone just calls him lloyd at the gym.

I actually like it. Too many kids nowadays grow up with a lack of formal respect that past generations had.

Who cares? If you don't train under him then what it's it to you? Phone Post

BJJ1553 - 
Lloyd is a good businessman for sure, but he's a dime a dozen. There are thousands of others like him.

lloyd is a salesman, hes just selling a good product.

it's just marketing

i really think 'coach' is about as far as i can go. i've been really happy with all of my coaches so far. all have been very informal and more than happy to just use their names.

i have kindofa bad TMA taste in my mouth from back in the day. i spent a few years as a kungfu cultist and still cringe at the memories of those times. so i try to avoid anything that might bring up flashbacks.

i looked thru the 'bjj skool' thread for an explanation on lloyd using the term master and the best i could find was the old master/apprentice carpenter thing. it'd be a good sentiment if that title hadn't fallen out of use in the 1800s. so i still call it pretentious douchebaggery.

the master thing was used at his school in the kids program. If you taught the kids class, regardless of your rank, they used the title. Helped to instill discipline in them as lets face it, some parents should not be allowed to have children as they are too retarded to raise them proper. Helped to instill discipline in the kids, but some adults just kept up with it as they would see the kids saying it. So in the end, Lloyd does not give a shit if you call him that or not, some even as adults do due to his great teaching and how he runs the entire team and that is their prerogative.

So people wanting to 'judge' him on that should check their facts, as if that is what would hold you back from training with him (a misconstrued idea of what is going on) then you would only be hurting yourself.

shen - 

Well, unless the title was legitimately awarded according to the rules and by laws of a legit organization (e.g. SBJJA, Shendokai, etc), I would take any such tile with a grain of salt.

Shen

What do you have your students call you? Supreme grand master?

Hasn't Keen Conelius cleared up everything he entered this weekend..? As a 179lb purple belt..? Is that right? He can call himself master if he wants. Phone Post

joshjitsu - Who cares? If you don't train under him then what it's it to you? Phone Post

Agreed Phone Post

EazyG - 
shen - 

Shen

What do you have your students call you? Supreme grand master?

Heck, anything within reason is fine... Grandmaster, Dai-Shihan, Archprofessor. I'm really not too concerned with titles.

I'll even let a noob slip by with calling me just plain old "Master Shen", for the first week. But just for the first week.

Its about training, not titles. Something this Lloyd guy should keep in mind.

actually, after class lloyd has all his students pick cotton for him