Why No Forearm Strikes (not elbows) in MMA?

I'm referring to strikes with the thumb side of the forearm. Think a looping forward strike but landing with the inside of the forearm instead of the fist. You see it in an bunch of striking arts. I think we used to call this at the Shidokan dojo here in Chicago Uchi Kote.

I ask because during sparring last night, while breaking a clinch I landed one and knocked out my training partner. He was wearing headgear, BTW. I also SUCK.

Seems like a good technique to my amateur ass, especially when entering and leaving clinch range. You can generate a shitload of power on these strikes, and it's a wide striking surface (your entire forearm).

Why don't we see this in modern MMA? Must be some reason.

Sagiv Lapkin -  Also, I would like to see more Karate chops.

Judy choppin IMO

=)

jodienda - I'm referring to strikes with the thumb side of the forearm. Think a looping forward strike but landing with the inside of the forearm instead of the fist. You see it in an bunch of striking arts. I think we used to call this at the Shidokan dojo here in Chicago Uchi Kote.

I ask because during sparring last night, while breaking a clinch I landed one and knocked out my training partner. He was wearing headgear, BTW. I also SUCK.

Seems like a good technique to my amateur ass, especially when entering and leaving clinch range. You can generate a shitload of power on these strikes, and it's a wide striking surface (your entire forearm).

The bigger striking surface, the less the force is concentrated so it's less effective.

Willin - 
jodienda - I'm referring to strikes with the thumb side of the forearm. Think a looping forward strike but landing with the inside of the forearm instead of the fist. You see it in an bunch of striking arts. I think we used to call this at the Shidokan dojo here in Chicago Uchi Kote.

The bigger striking surface, the less the force is concentrated so it's less effective.

Isn't this the same sort of physics as a shinbone kick, though? Seems (to me) that a Thai roundhouse hurts a lot more than a Savate style roundhouse with the ball of the foot.

Maybe I haven't met the right Savateurs...

If you are going to throw a long looping right hand, why try to land with your forearm? Just make it a hook. It's still most likely going to get slipped, but you would at least be in better defensive posture.You also don't risk missing with the range and breaking a thumb.

jodienda - 
Willin - 

Isn't this the same sort of physics as a shinbone kick, though? Seems (to me) that a Thai roundhouse hurts a lot more than a Savate style roundhouse with the ball of the foot.

It's not really comparable since the shin is attached to the leg which is multiple times stronger than an arm. Also the shin bone is covered with no excess meat whatsoever whereas a forearm is wrapped in sinew which absorbs force.

Keith Hackney, look him up.

palm strikes ftw imo

Well, in my case, the guy was bringing his hands up in front of his face, and I was trying a Fedor/Chuckesque overhand to hit him on the side of the head. But I was way too close, fucked up, and hit him instead with my forearm on a slight downward angle. Maybe a 3 inch area on my forearm right above and slightly to the front of his ear.

Dropped him like a shot.

Which got me thinking of my kickboxing days, the forearm strike we learnind out of trad karate, etc, and why it isn't used.

Serra TKOs St Pierre

clothesline a motherfucker

LARIATTOPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best japanese prowretling voice

jodienda - 

do you have fists on the end of your legs

Sagiv Lapkin -  Also, I would like to see more Karate chops.

I couldn't help but laugh! Phone Post