Why no loyalty to the team/managers in MMA?

I have seen boxers or muay thai fighters making all their career under the same team/coach and (even if less often) manager.

In MMA you see fighters changing teams, coaches and managers very often, even the top guys.

It seems there is an authentic autharchy in MMA and you are loyal until you don't find a better situation.

Boxers change coaches frequently enough, usually after they make the big time. Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya for example.

I would agree though that there seems to be more jumping around in MMA.

I suppose the complexity of MMA makes it hard to find a team of coaches that are affordable, knowledgeable, AND work well as a team (which includes bonding well with the fighter). Boxing has a set of skills that one or two coaches can handle. MMA, you have all kinds of takes on stand up (guys frequently have a boxing and thai coach, for example), and then the obligatory wrestling and submissions. Lots of approaches possible with those as well. Hard for just one or two coaches to handle.

Also, lots of coaches can get their fighter through the B leagues but may not be able to handle much after that.

Guys tend to lose fights earlier in their careers in MMA than boxing, so they might get into the blame game early---blame the coach and then start looking for a new one when it's not warranted.

In Boxing if you win 30 fights in a row and if you lose 1 your career may be over, in MMA you can lose 1-2 fights and still be in the big game.

thi fighters rarely stay with the same gym thier entire career.  Most start out in the small country gyms and only later after they acquire a good record do they get "sold" (thier contract is picked up) by a BKK gym where they have better trainers and partners.

Imho they just change because they hope to find better money. I have known fighters changing coaches 4-5 times in a couple of years.

I have experinced it all from every angle. Had guys 10-0, 5-0, & They still left. It has to do with many reasons, $, training partners, disrespect, people that don't fight trying to give your fighters advice. I can go on all day, but if you leave that door open & understand life has a way of bringing people back around, If you you don't take it personal. which is very hard. People sometimes don't know how well they were treated until they go somewhere else. Greed is a big reason people leave & listening to others that think they know it all does'nt help either. But like I said, keep the door open, don't burn that bridge if you can. Work on you & who you are. People will come & go, You can't force them to stay. Just like a relationship. The tighter you try to keep someone around, the more they want to get away. Just my experince on a few things. Take Care & God Bless! Brian Warren www.unbreakablegym.com

"I have experinced it all from every angle. Had guys 10-0, 5-0, & They still left. It has to do with many reasons, $, training partners, disrespect, people that don't fight trying to give your fighters advice. I can go on all day, but if you leave that door open & understand life has a way of bringing people back around, If you you don't take it personal. which is very hard. People sometimes don't know how well they were treated until they go somewhere else. Greed is a big reason people leave & listening to others that think they know it all does'nt help either. But like I said, keep the door open, don't burn that bridge if you can. Work on you & who you are. People will come & go, You can't force them to stay. Just like a relationship. The tighter you try to keep someone around, the more they want to get away. Just my experince on a few things. Take Care & God Bless! Brian Warren www.unbreakablegym.com"

Very smart and mature post. Also, these things happen in boxing almost as much. However we have much more to learn which requires a bit of traveling. Also cross training in this sport is very important. There are so many types of fighters. The key IMO is to cross train but stay loyal. Hillary Williams is a perfect example of this in BJJ.

Im actually helping one of the guys who trains at my club a new gym because he is going places and I know my own limitations as a coach / instructor will impede him in a bigger league.

I've had three managers. One when I was just getting started. I wound up managing myself because I could do a better job of communicating with promoters. He was also my coach. My second manager came along when I was offered a bigger contract. I left because I wasn't getting fights frequently enough. Now I am on my third manager. We'll see how he works out.

I've only trained regularly with a couple of teams.

rolijuju - "I have experinced it all from every angle. Had guys 10-0, 5-0, & They still left. It has to do with many reasons, $, training partners, disrespect, people that don't fight trying to give your fighters advice. I can go on all day, but if you leave that door open & understand life has a way of bringing people back around, If you you don't take it personal. which is very hard. People sometimes don't know how well they were treated until they go somewhere else. Greed is a big reason people leave & listening to others that think they know it all does'nt help either. But like I said, keep the door open, don't burn that bridge if you can. Work on you & who you are. People will come & go, You can't force them to stay. Just like a relationship. The tighter you try to keep someone around, the more they want to get away. Just my experince on a few things. Take Care & God Bless! Brian Warren www.unbreakablegym.com"

Very smart and mature post. Also, these things happen in boxing almost as much. However we have much more to learn which requires a bit of traveling. Also cross training in this sport is very important. There are so many types of fighters. The key IMO is to cross train but stay loyal. Hillary Williams is a perfect example of this in BJJ.
I agree!

WoodenPupa - Boxers change coaches frequently enough, usually after they make the big time. Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya for example.

Heck, Floyd Mayweather and Roy Jones fired their own fathers.

Mayweather's dad nearly went on to train his opponent.

DinoFuoco - I have seen boxers or muay thai fighters making all their career under the same team/coach and (even if less often) manager.

In MMA you see fighters changing teams, coaches and managers very often, even the top guys.

It seems there is an authentic autharchy in MMA and you are loyal until you don't find a better situation.

I'm not sure what "loyalty" means here - if you're a pro, your job is to be the best fighter you can be. If your coach is failing to do what it takes to make that happen, your job is to find someone that can. Are you supposed to be disloyal to your family (by not providing for them) so you can be "loyal" to someone that isn't blood?

You may work with your company's IT guy a lot, you may have grown to like him and respect him quite a bit, but if he can't do the job anymore, you may have to find someone new, that's just the way it is.

I think it also has to do with the many different disciplines needed to be a top MMA fighter.  Boxers usually have one certain "style" that operates within the sport's narrowly defined rules. They generally stick with the guy who knows their style the best.  But in MMA there's so much to learn that some fighters feel they need to change camps get the best all game.

Crazy Zimmerman -  I think it also has to do with the many different disciplines needed to be a top MMA fighter.  Boxers usually have one certain "style" that operates within the sport's narrowly defined rules. They generally stick with the guy who knows their style the best.  But in MMA there's so much to learn that some fighters feel they need to change camps get the best all game.

True , & half true. Let them come & go. But have contracts so you don't get burned.

LoganClark - I've had three managers. One when I was just getting started. I wound up managing myself because I could do a better job of communicating with promoters. He was also my coach. My second manager came along when I was offered a bigger contract. I left because I wasn't getting fights frequently enough. Now I am on my third manager. We'll see how he works out.

I've only trained regularly with a couple of teams.

Who's your manager now? Thompson ?