Why no more 15 round boxing matches?

When I was a kid, this was normal.  Why are bouts now 10 or 12 rounds only?  Has a rule been changed for many state boxing commissions getting rid of them?

Is this agreed upon by the fighters themselves when signing the contract?

Yep, Ray Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim (RIP).

I answer this question for my Dad every time we watch boxing :(

I attended and still have the tickets to the last scheduled 15 round bout in the United States. 

Can anyone tell me who fought?

Incidentally, is there any evidence that shows that reducing a fight by three rounds reduces the risk of death? Have fewer fighters died in the ring? Or was this just done for publicity's sake?

ron den otter - Incidentally, is there any evidence that shows that reducing a fight by three rounds reduces the risk of death? Have fewer fighters died in the ring? Or was this just done for publicity's sake?

I'm pretty sure they did a study that confirmed the last 3 rounds add a lot more danger to the boxers.

Crazy Zimmerman -  I attended and still have the tickets to the last scheduled 15 round bout in the United States. 

Tyson-Biggs?

Duk Koo Kim-Mancini was not the last scheduled 15 rounder, though it played a part in getting them reduced. It took a few years for the three major sanctioning bodies.

15-round fights are still the ultimate proving ground. So many matches that were limited by 12.

D_S_A - 
ron den otter - Incidentally, is there any evidence that shows that reducing a fight by three rounds reduces the risk of death? Have fewer fighters died in the ring? Or was this just done for publicity's sake?

I'm pretty sure they did a study that confirmed the last 3 rounds add a lot more danger to the boxers.

There's still three last rounds in a 12 rounder.

Thanks guys.  Makes a ton of sense.

Crazy Zimmerman -  I attended and still have the tickets to the last scheduled 15 round bout in the United States. 

Flores/Holland?

D_S_A - 

Yeah; I remember reading that they did a study and confirmed that the majority of the brain damage occurred in rounds 13,14, & 15.  I suppose one could make the case that the more rounds there are the greater potential for damage to the brain but I believe the study showed a pretty drastic difference in brain damage suffered in a 12 round fight vs. a 15 round fight with a particular interest in the damage caused in rounds 13, 14, & 15.

drain bamage...

should be 50 rounds, like good ol' times.

Captain Insano X - 
D_S_A - 

There's still three last rounds in a 12 rounder.

Zing!

So far no one has it right about the last scheduled 15 rounder. 

BTW, I watched the Mancini fight live on tv and it was one of the most brutal and exciting bouts of all time.  If Kim didn't die from that, it would be a classic to watch.  Now it's just too tragic to enjoy. 

Crazy Zimmerman -  So far no one has it right about the last scheduled 15 rounder. 

BTW, I watched the Mancini fight live on tv and it was one of the most brutal and exciting bouts of all time.  If Kim didn't die from that, it would be a classic to watch.  Now it's just too tragic to enjoy. 

It was Joe vs. Yo Mama.........  

Crazy Zimmerman -  BTW, I watched the Mancini fight live on tv and it was one of the most brutal and exciting bouts of all time.  If Kim didn't die from that, it would be a classic to watch.  Now it's just too tragic to enjoy. 

Crazy Zimmerman -  So far no one has it right about the last scheduled 15 rounder. 

I believe it was the Simon Brown vs Tyrone Trice IBF Welterweight Championship Fight. I watched it live and it was one of the greatest fights I've ever seen. Although that may have been the last IBF sanctioned 15 round fight and not the last 15 rounder overall.

August 4, 1988
Plaza de Toros Calafia, Mexicali, Baja California
Promoter: Ignacio Huizar
Featherweight
Jorge Paez 125¾ W Calvin Grove 125½ MD 15- 15
IBF Featherweight Title

^^^
whoa !! I remember that one
right in my hometown, it was like fucking 120 F that day
my god this scorching

there was a local comic that said that calvin grove was a white guy, but as he got down from the plane/car he was burned and turned black

LMAO funny shit

And it was an amazing fight from Maromero Paez