Why Nog losing is so hard to take

HELWIG -  I stared at the screen in total disbelief.

Mir hit the transition Karo used to do.

good eye... did it on gsp, almost had him

Haulport - Excellent expression of what I think many of us feel.

. Phone Post

HELWIG -  I stared at the screen in total disbelief.

Mir hit the transition Karo used to do.

Yep.. me too.

Its funny, a buddy of mine I was watching it with, said my face was frozen in disbelief when he looked over.

And yes.. OP has again been voted up.

i hear ya man

=[

A thoughtful post, OP but ....no offense, its rather childish. You point out well how irrational you realize the feeling is but its still childish. Nog was never a superhero or unbeatable. I don't understand the emotional investment some people have in sports and I think this is such a case. I wanted Nog to win but I felt bad for him because his arm broke. Not because my image of him as a legend was somehow tarnished.

MickColins -  A thoughtful post, OP but ....no offense, its rather childish. You point out well how irrational you realize the feeling is but its still childish. Nog was never a superhero or unbeatable. I don't understand the emotional investment some people have in sports and I think this is such a case. I wanted Nog to win but I felt bad for him because his arm broke. Not because my image of him as a legend was somehow tarnished.

Pre Fedor bashing he was like watching a anaconda being fed. You just knew he was going to grab something and finish it. Phone Post

BLACK and BLUE Comic -  I keep seeing that damnable gif here of Nog's arm getting cracked and it's really difficult.  I think anyone who watched Pride had to remember that Nog was just a super-hero.  The Sapp fight was like watching something mythical.  Sapp ended up being nothing special in MMA because he didn't really take it seriously, but let's not forget the guy beat up Ernesto Hoost twice, one of the greatest kickboxers of all time.  

I'll never forget how I felt watching that Nog/Sapp fight.  It was like all the years of jiu jitsu would've just been meaningless if Nog had lost.  But he gutted out a power bomb and getting tossed around like a rag doll only to come back and finish the beast.  

And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, he had to go and fight Semmy Schilt, the guy who would go on to become the four time K-1 WGP champ!

He had finished Coleman right after he seemed at the start of a renaissance in his career when he toppled everyone to win the inaugural Pride GP.  He used his boxing and jiu jitsu to make Herring seem like an amateur.  He did an incredible chain of submissions on Enson Inoue.  

He went out and got the crap kicked out of him (literally) by Cro Cop but came back and found a way to win.  If ever there was the definition of just plain toughness and heart, it was Nogueira.  When he lost to Fedor it was like Thor fighting the Hulk.  We knew Fedor was something special and if anyone deserved to beat him, it was a fellow mythic God of the Heavyweight pantheon.

Add to this that he was just a likable guy.  Nobody had a bad thing to say about him.  When his team BTT was feuding with Chute Boxe he stayed out of it and maintained friendships with guys on both sides.  He was always hungry to get better, journeying to Cuba to work on his boxing with the national team.  To me, he's like the MMA Joe Louis.

Then he comes to the UFC and ends up beating Sylvia to become champ, proving he's got what it takes and defending the Pride banner stateside.  

But then Mir...first a TKO, then a submission.  A bad submission.  A submission on the greatest finisher in the history of the sport.

It's nothing against Mir.  He's a good fighter and earned his victories and is a great heavyweight, but it's like when Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw.  It's hard to see the standard bearer of jiu jitsu, Pride and dogged determination go down like that.  Also seeing the look on his face just change as Mir put it in deep was just hard to watch.  

Congrats to Mir, but I weep for our fallen hero. :_-(<br type="_moz" />

Its posts like this that keeps me as an oldschooler around

Thank you

MickColins -  A thoughtful post, OP but ....no offense, its rather childish. You point out well how irrational you realize the feeling is but its still childish. Nog was never a superhero or unbeatable. I don't understand the emotional investment some people have in sports and I think this is such a case. I wanted Nog to win but I felt bad for him because his arm broke. Not because my image of him as a legend was somehow tarnished.

I don't understand the lack of emotional investment in some sports fans.

As adults.. we shouldn't literally "idolize" anyone.

But there is nothing wrong with living life and enjoying the magic in the little things.

Some sports/fight fans have a more academic way of looking at things.. which is fine.

To each his own.

But without at least some emotional investment.. Your missing out on that awsome feeling and celebration when your team/fighter gets that big win.

It doesn't make us childish, it makes us human.

Ultimately, watching my favorite fighter win a belt, or my favorite team win a championship, is nothing compared to hearing my kids put together their first complete sentence, or them running up to hug me when I get home.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the other "little" things in life, to the maximum level appropiate.

I still get chills when I listen to the song "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin, or "Dogs" by Pink Floyd. I still get emotional when watching certain scenes from my favorite movies. And I still Love to see my favorite fighters win, and hate to see them lose.

And your right, Nog is not a superhero... He is better.

He is a real person, and one of the baddest men on the planet.

^^

And my own view of Nog as a legend, could never be tarnished by a loss.

onepunchJD - ^^

And my own view of Nog as a legend, could never be tarnished by a loss.

+100000 Phone Post

BLACK and BLUE Comic -  I keep seeing that damnable gif here of Nog's arm getting cracked and it's really difficult.  I think anyone who watched Pride had to remember that Nog was just a super-hero.  The Sapp fight was like watching something mythical.  Sapp ended up being nothing special in MMA because he didn't really take it seriously, but let's not forget the guy beat up Ernesto Hoost twice, one of the greatest kickboxers of all time.  

I'll never forget how I felt watching that Nog/Sapp fight.  It was like all the years of jiu jitsu would've just been meaningless if Nog had lost.  But he gutted out a power bomb and getting tossed around like a rag doll only to come back and finish the beast.  

And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, he had to go and fight Semmy Schilt, the guy who would go on to become the four time K-1 WGP champ!

He had finished Coleman right after he seemed at the start of a renaissance in his career when he toppled everyone to win the inaugural Pride GP.  He used his boxing and jiu jitsu to make Herring seem like an amateur.  He did an incredible chain of submissions on Enson Inoue.  

He went out and got the crap kicked out of him (literally) by Cro Cop but came back and found a way to win.  If ever there was the definition of just plain toughness and heart, it was Nogueira.  When he lost to Fedor it was like Thor fighting the Hulk.  We knew Fedor was something special and if anyone deserved to beat him, it was a fellow mythic God of the Heavyweight pantheon.

Add to this that he was just a likable guy.  Nobody had a bad thing to say about him.  When his team BTT was feuding with Chute Boxe he stayed out of it and maintained friendships with guys on both sides.  He was always hungry to get better, journeying to Cuba to work on his boxing with the national team.  To me, he's like the MMA Joe Louis.

Then he comes to the UFC and ends up beating Sylvia to become champ, proving he's got what it takes and defending the Pride banner stateside.  

But then Mir...first a TKO, then a submission.  A bad submission.  A submission on the greatest finisher in the history of the sport.

It's nothing against Mir.  He's a good fighter and earned his victories and is a great heavyweight, but it's like when Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw.  It's hard to see the standard bearer of jiu jitsu, Pride and dogged determination go down like that.  Also seeing the look on his face just change as Mir put it in deep was just hard to watch.  

Congrats to Mir, but I weep for our fallen hero. :_-(

Amazing post Phone Post

great post. i feel the pain too. mir deserves respect. but the career nog has made over the last 10 plus years....it has created some of the most memorable moments in this sport.

the slick subs
the championship fights
the come from behind wins

he is the definition of warrior. from when that truck nearly took his life when he was a child, to coming back from the brink of defeat, to coming back horrible injuries and to last saturday, trying his best to overcome that same adversity once again.

the reason nog is the man is because he never gives up, i think that was his last fight, and it was a pleasure to see his fights.

MickColins -  A thoughtful post, OP but ....no offense, its rather childish. You point out well how irrational you realize the feeling is but its still childish. Nog was never a superhero or unbeatable. I don't understand the emotional investment some people have in sports and I think this is such a case. I wanted Nog to win but I felt bad for him because his arm broke. Not because my image of him as a legend was somehow tarnished.

If being a fan is childish, call me Peter Pan.
Personally, I'm more a Mir fan than Nogueira, but I appreciate a post like OP. The first full UFC card I ever watched was Sylvia/Nog, and it was the first time I had ever really seen BJJ at work.
I'll always remember Nog's quote after that fight: "I played his game for two rounds. He played my game for two minutes and tapped." Phone Post

BLACK and BLUE Comic -  I keep seeing that damnable gif here of Nog's arm getting cracked and it's really difficult.  I think anyone who watched Pride had to remember that Nog was just a super-hero.  The Sapp fight was like watching something mythical.  Sapp ended up being nothing special in MMA because he didn't really take it seriously, but let's not forget the guy beat up Ernesto Hoost twice, one of the greatest kickboxers of all time.  

Congrats to Mir, but I weep for our fallen hero. :_-(

Thank you Phone Post

theinfamousjmo - 
MickColins -  A thoughtful post, OP but ....no offense, its rather childish. You point out well how irrational you realize the feeling is but its still childish. Nog was never a superhero or unbeatable. I don't understand the emotional investment some people have in sports and I think this is such a case. I wanted Nog to win but I felt bad for him because his arm broke. Not because my image of him as a legend was somehow tarnished.
If being a fan is childish, call me Peter Pan.

Personally, I'm more a Mir fan than Nogueira, but I appreciate a post like OP. The first full UFC card I ever watched was Sylvia/Nog, and it was the first time I had ever really seen BJJ at work.

I'll always remember Nog's quote after that fight: "I played his game for two rounds. He played my game for two minutes and tapped." Phone Post
I hadn't heard that quote before.  Awesome.

Good thread. I'm still sad as hell. A series of poor choices, bad luck, and mistakes cost him the fight, and a win here honestly could have propelled him to HW GOAT status. Fuck. Phone Post

Well said. Voted up

Great op!  Voted up!

Vtfu. Watching that kimura happen live was like watching the end of Braveheart for the first time.