Why not Conor vs Charles Oliviera?

Would bet heavy on Oliviera getting the finish.

jyt -

terrible matchup. oliveira is not a name and a win over him doesnt do anything for conor. he has 1 good win vs kevin lee but other than that hasnt beaten anyone worth a damn. its just one of those fantasy fights for a select few harcore fans that will never happen.

Beating Kevin Lee @ 155 is a more impressive win than anyone Conor has beat @ 155. Spare me the Alvarez nonsense, he's been KOd by bums in China since leaving the UFC, not impressed.

livelaughlove -

Because no one knows who that is. I can’t even put a face to the name 

That sounds like a promotional problem to me. The UFC is a fight promotion company right? The fighters are fighters right? It's crazy to me that the UFC expects the fighters to do the promoting and if the fighters fail at promoting then it effects their ranking.

Would be an amazing match-up... (and conor vs anybody is a sellout...) But conor is not an active fighter anymore, he will prob only do exhibitions matches, like the cowboy fight, from now on...

1 Like
KhabibWinsTheRematch -
jyt -

terrible matchup. oliveira is not a name and a win over him doesnt do anything for conor. he has 1 good win vs kevin lee but other than that hasnt beaten anyone worth a damn. its just one of those fantasy fights for a select few harcore fans that will never happen.

Beating Kevin Lee @ 155 is a more impressive win than anyone Conor has beat @ 155. Spare me the Alvarez nonsense, he's been KOd by bums in China since leaving the UFC, not impressed.

Exactly he literally has two fights at lightweight in the ufc and he's 1-1.

SQUEEZIE -
cantuna4u -

Yeah. Don't make sense...  On one hand it's "Holy shit, Olivera subs Connor!" and the Cash Cow takes a substantial hit. On the other hand, "Yeah so, Connor smashed Olivera's face. Who tha fook was that guy?" and the Cash Cow takes a hit...    That's a stupid fight for everyone except Olivera. And you.

Conor vs khabib or Justin makes even less sense and does nothing for either of them.

Right...   But it will sell!

KhabibWinsTheRematch -

The UFC isn't going to put their cash cow, who has a propensity for tapping out when things don't go his way, against the most dangerous submission guy in the UFC.

Not a good matchup for Conor. Charles not known well enough yet by the casuals. Things could go downhill quickly and then Conors mystique is fucked. Too risky

SQUEEZIE - 
jyt -

Terrible for who? UFC? Conor? You? It's certainly not terrible for people who are fans of mma, who like watching good match ups and good fights.

This!

I like how everyone is a business analyst on here rather than an MMA analyst. Whatever happened to taking on any top level contender in a division regardless of name stature so long as you are truly wanting to establish you are the best at that division?

Connor has been selective about his career in recent years and that has made him rich and the biggest star in MMA. Good for him. But meanwhile, he came back to LW and got smashed. Maybe it was to the LW GOAT so no big deal. But there came the claims that he was hung over, had a balloon sized foot, etc. And most important, while he chose a Cowboy that was coming off 2 KO/TKOs, the rest of the division has been killing themselves.

Tony is now temporarily out of contention and took more damage than likely his whole career in one fight. Kevin Lee got tapped out yet again. Both guys are dangerous matchups for Connor. Oliveira is the most danagerous sub fighter in MMA with improved standup. I get that Connor wants the marquee fights and that’s fine, they give us the big event feel but lets not forget that Connor has not even scratched the surface of establishing himself as the top LW in the world.

He got tapped out to Diaz (LWs at WW).

He had an edge out of Diaz in the rematch 3-2 (LWs at WW).

He schooled Alvarez.

He got schooled by Khabib.

He blasted Cowboy (LWs at WW).

We really don’t know how good Connor is at LW today until he does what every other figheter does and has fights against 3-5 of the top LWs. He is not wiling to do that though. This has to be acknowledged. No one is arguing that he is not the biggest star in the game. Whatever. But he is not even trying to clean out the div.

He blasted Cowboy (LWs at WW).

He

It would be an incredibly bold and exciting piece of matchmaking, but unfortunately I can't see it happening.

Shame really, because Do Bronx is on a tear.