Why not Poirier vs Charles Oliveira?

Oliveira needs a top 5 guy, I would love to see these two guys go at it. Dustin is the better striker, but his wrestling isn't really good. Im interested to see if Oliveira's styIe will work against someone like Poirier

3 Likes

Great matchup 

Interesting.  I do agree that Oliveira needs and deserves a top five name.  Poirier is an interesting match up and has possibly best hands in the division, but Oliveira has underrated hands himself, and can do anything he wants on his feet, because what are you gonna do, take him down? 

WaltJ -

Interesting.  I do agree that Oliveira needs and deserves a top five name.  Poirier is an interesting match up and has possibly best hands in the division, but Oliveira has underrated hands himself, and can do anything he wants on his feet, because what are you gonna do, take him down? 

Im also wondering if he can close the distance on Dustin and clinch/takedown. Dustins wrestling seems pretty bad

Hooker/Oliviera would be great too

knockoutfighter -

Hooker/Oliviera would be great too

For sure, but since Poirier doesn't have anyone and he's coming off of a win the timing is pretty good

Ttt

That’s be perfect matchmaking, no way we get it. 

BJTT-PattyHearst -

That’s be perfect matchmaking, no way we get it. 

I agree. Do Bronx is super exciting though, not sure why he won't get the push that he should 

Oliveira will be champ soon 

1 Like

Oliveira is one of those guys no one wants to fight.

PeterNorth -

He's so fun to watch as well

I'd be interested to see how Dustin would handle the grappling.  Oliveira is a very different grappler than Khabib.  Typically, if you are strong enough, you can shrug off most pure BJJ guys, but Oliveira is dangerous because he shoots subs from everywhere, including standing.  It would just be a matter of whether or not Oliveiras wrestling and takedowns would be strong enough to get it to the ground.

.... If he even wants to.  Oliveira has drastically improved his boxing and has tuned it to body type, similar to how the Diaz Brothers did theirs. 

A few years ago when he was younger he had some setbacks (against maniacs like Holloway, Felder, etc.) but he's since very clearly matured and improved,so UFC, get Do Bronx a real fucking fight against a top five opponent already and stop wasting everyone's fucking time! 

PeterNorth -

For sure but at the top you shouldn’t be able to play that game. He deserves a contender fight and if people are turning him down they should be getting shelved or given shit match ups. There are some gamers up there in LW though so I’d imagine someone will take him on in a fight night main event or something. It’s time for someone new to break into championship talk in that division and Do Bronx is the guy. He’s awesome man. 

WaltJ -

I'd be interested to see how Dustin would handle the grappling.  Oliveira is a very different grappler than Khabib.  Typically, if you are strong enough, you can shrug off most pure BJJ guys, but Oliveira is dangerous because he shoots subs from everywhere, including standing.  It would just be a matter of whether or not Oliveiras wrestling and takedowns would be strong enough to get it to the ground.

.... If he even wants to.  Oliveira has drastically improved his boxing and has tuned it to body type, similar to how the Diaz Brothers did theirs. 

A few years ago when he was younger he had some setbacks (against maniacs like Holloway, Felder, etc.) but he's since very clearly matured and improved,so UFC, get Do Bronx a real fucking fight against a top five opponent already and stop wasting everyone's fucking time! 

I think his wrestling is decent enough and Dustins is bad enough to make it interesting 

KirkBJJ -
PeterNorth -

For sure but at the top you shouldn’t be able to play that game. He deserves a contender fight and if people are turning him down they should be getting shelved or given shit match ups. There are some gamers up there in LW though so I’d imagine someone will take him on in a fight night main event or something. It’s time for someone new to break into championship talk in that division and Do Bronx is the guy. He’s awesome man. 

Without looking at the rankings, maybe Hooker would be a good matchup for him. Hooker is coming off of a loss to Poirier and I think it’s a logical step up skill wise. In terms of Oliviera’s potential matchups I think you’re right, he’s at a point where he has nobody else to fight but a top 5 guy. After a win over Kevin Lee you’re gonna have to fight the very best. 

MasterofMartialArts -
KirkBJJ -
PeterNorth -

Without looking at the rankings, maybe Hooker would be a good matchup for him. Hooker is coming off of a loss to Poirier and I think it’s a logical step up skill wise. In terms of Oliviera’s potential matchups I think you’re right, he’s at a point where he has nobody else to fight but a top 5 guy. After a win over Kevin Lee you’re gonna have to fight the very best. 

I feel like being on a 6 or 7 fight win streak, he should get someone coming off if a win. Plus who does Dustin fight next? Tony is recovering, Khabib and Gaethje are set. Conor is retired and he just beat Hooker. So thats the top 5

Bend The Knee -
WaltJ -

I think his wrestling is decent enough and Dustins is bad enough to make it interesting 

I don’t think Dustin’s defensive wrestling is ‘bad’, but he definitely doesn’t have the hips needed to become consistently good at defending takedowns from high level wrestlers. I don’t know what his TDD percentage is but I’d imagine it’s not high, but probably decent. But you’re right, Oliviera might be able to take him down. One thing worth mentioning is Do Bronx clinch game, with his length if he gets the plum he can threaten with sweeps and trips. 

WaltJ -

Do Bronx lights up Dustin on the feet 

1 Like
MasterofMartialArts -
Bend The Knee -
WaltJ -

I don’t think Dustin’s defensive wrestling is ‘bad’, but he definitely doesn’t have the hips needed to become consistently good at defending takedowns from high level wrestlers. I don’t know what his TDD percentage is but I’d imagine it’s not high, but probably decent. But you’re right, Oliviera might be able to take him down. One thing worth mentioning is Do Bronx clinch game, with his length if he gets the plum he can threaten with sweeps and trips. 

I think I remember Hooker taking him down a bunch, also from what I hear at ATT some high school wrestlers take him down pretty often. (Clearly I know the level for HS can be high, but still)