Why release news that terror threat is 9/11 like?

What did this accomplish?

Warn the public that something could happen somewhere at sometime?

Let the terrorists know what precautions have been taken?

Distract the publics from real issues?

Stress the importance of spying?

I don't understand why they did this. One guy sends a message that says 'do something' and suddenly we are pre 911?

What if they are waiting until the embassies reopen, because the know the timeline now.

This is all it takes to send the whole world into a frenzy? What am I missing here? Phone Post

To keep you afraid. Phone Post

To justify spying on people and try to bump approval ratings . Phone Post

To prove that the NSA should be allowed to spy on US citizens.

So people will be more inclined to report habibis acting strangely?

So the dude at Best Buy will flag a habibi purchasing a flight simulator?

So habibis will get paranoid and back off? Phone Post 3.0

lol. So everyone complained that they didn't warn anyone about signs of 9/11 or act on the warnings. Now they do and people are mad?

They did it to show Americans the government gives a shit about the people in its embassies. Most people have the opposite impression after bengazi.

A frightened public is an obedient public Phone Post

pure politics

Mayfield - To keep you afraid. Phone Post
. Phone Post 3.0

Mata_Leon - 

To prove that the NSA should be allowed to spy on US citizens.

Cover for the NSA scandal IMO. Phone Post

OP, you pretty much nailed it with your first post.

We live in a culture of fear. Fear is big business. Why do you think the evening news will cut into your sitcom commercials with, "Why your child could be at risk. Details at 10?" and then within the same commercial set you have ads for Brinks Home Security or ADT?

Justify the NSA pissing on the Constitution.

^^^ very true. I actually refuse to watch my local news because it depresses me worse than wshh now a days.

NSA justification BS. No reason for them to release this information so publicly

Some will say to keep people afraid...

But it can fuck with the terrorists too (assuming there really is a threat). They have to change their codes, methods of communication, maybe they'll get paranoid about informants and that will sow dissent

It also might rattle them and make them careless, making them give up more

Talking about it can really fuck with their plans Phone Post 3.0

danggook - A frightened public is an obedient public Phone Post

This ticks me off Phone Post

Pratty - Some will say to keep people afraid...

But it can fuck with the terrorists too (assuming there really is a threat). They have to change their codes, methods of communication, maybe they'll get paranoid about informants and that will sow dissent

It also might rattle them and make them careless, making them give up more

Talking about it can really fuck with their plans Phone Post 3.0

It seems to me that a phone call to the terrorists would accomplish the same thing. "We're watching you. We know you plan to do X, Y and Z on such and such date. We're ready for you."

I mean, if you're going to show your hand anyway, why frighten the public in the process?

Same people saying its stupid are probably the same people that said "Why didn't they say something if they knew it was going to happen" after the Boston bombing.