Why Removing Conor from UFC 200 was Good for UFC

I think not being on 200 equals more money for the UFC.
UFC 200 will be a large event, with lots of hype, and PPVs with, or without Conor. The addition of Conor will boost the buys of UFC 200, but how much? Does the presence of Conor convince that many people to buy it that wouldn't already buy it? ESPN puts it at a 45 million dollar difference. 45 million is about 800,000 viewers, the same number viewers as the Jones vs Cormier 1 ppv. I think that's kind of high.

If we can agree that UFC 200, with the hype of being UFC 200 and a rematch of Jones vs Cormier, should be about 1.1-1.2, which is low considering that's the same number of viewers as what the Holms/Rousey card had.
I don't think McGregor draws 800K more viewers that wouldn't already buy UFC 200. I think ESPN gets that number from comparing avg ppvs such as UFC 195 that had 300K buys to Conor's last fight PPV numbers, an estimated 1.4 mil buys. I'd say the Mcgregor dismissal from UFC 200 loses 200K buyers, a total of 12 Mil. The UFC could of course make that and tons more back by having a Mcgregor card UFC 201.

With McGregor, UFC 200 might get to 2 million buys but, UFC 201, with all the champs fighting pretty close to 200, if not on 200, would be lucky to pull equal to Condit vs Lawler's 300K buys, so let's put UFC 200 & 201 at a total of 2.3 million buys.

But, a UFC 200 with Jones and Cormier and all the 200 hype would draw at the least 1.2 million. Then, a UFC 201 with Conor on it would draw about 1.4 million buys for a total of 2.6 million buys. That makes the UFC an extra $. Likewise, with more big name fighters on 200, there are more fighters with ppv points on their contracts, so the UFC would have to share more of the pie with fighters. They'd all have to divide the same pie where as putting Conor on UFC 201, the UFC gets bigger pieces of a bigger pie.

No. You're overanalyzing this.

Conor thought he was in charge and this is about him learning he is not.

The problem with this is that it's all speculative. You don't know, and never will, how much each event would have done before. If 200 does 2 mil buys, will it be assumed that it would have done 3 with Conor? Would Jones/DC have done more or less without this Conor show in the background? Too many variables to just make definitive statements here. Phone Post 3.0

ufc made a mistake.

watch, next even Conor has will make way more money than ufc 200. Phone Post 3.0

sherdogger - conor = clown and embarrassment to MMA

that is why it was good for him to go... no other reason than that
Request immediate lifetime ban for this user and his IP.

Clear fighter bashing violation.

Reported.

Voted down. Phone Post 3.0

Rahjai MD - ufc made a mistake.

watch, next even Conor has will make way more money than ufc 200. Phone Post 3.0
I just don't see it happening. Mcgregor got mopped on the feet with full training camp against a guy with no training camp. Phone Post 3.0

200 doesn't hit 1mil buys imo... so not agreed on that.

With Conor/Nate rematch I'd bet on 1.4 Phone Post 3.0

Outlaw'd by Lytle - 
sherdogger - conor = clown and embarrassment to MMA

that is why it was good for him to go... no other reason than that
Request immediate lifetime ban for this user and his IP.

Clear fighter bashing violation.

Reported.

Voted down. Phone Post 3.0

Wahhhh! He said something negative about your man crush. Grow up.

^^ 1.6 even, what did 196 do? 1.4? Phone Post 3.0

I agree and I've mentioned it numerous times on here Phone Post 3.0

first, who is he going to fight?
second, is he prepared to do full media obligations?

then can we answer if he will do big numbers again.

Yes. Absolutely it was. The short term doesn't mean much to the UFC and never has. Look at the big picture here, the undisputed biggest draw the UFC currently has tried to play hardball and got shot the fuck down. Do you think anyone else is going to have the balls to try and pull this shit now, knowing it didn't even fly with the golden boy? So UFC 200 takes a hit, it's still going to do massive numbers, and Conor can be on a top heavy card that will still pull (likely) bigger numbers bc of what he brings to the table, and now he can play the anti establishment hero angle to all of the people who hate the UFC.

Plus I sincerely doubt with the time that will have passed in between now and his next fight  that he will even fight Nate next, so the UFC doesn't risk their biggest star losing back to back fights and softening his credibility. Honestly I think this is the best possible outcome for the UFC.

Judging by the size of DFWs tantrum I think it's safe to say that he was banking on Conor to carry the entire press conference as usual, and that is the problem with putting all of your eggs into one basket. Phone Post 3.0

pud12 - No. You're overanalyzing this.

Conor thought he was in charge and this is about him learning he is not.
I wasn't suggesting it was a purposeful move on either part, just that the UFC is better off financially by not using their big draw on an already big draw card. Phone Post 3.0

TryhardNobody - UFC wins in the end because they cant have Conor or other fighters pulling dumb shit like this. He needed to be taught a lesson. Other fighters needed to see him be taught this lesson. If he had gotten away with this, whats to stop him or others from making similar last minute selfish demands in the future? UFC may have lost some money short term but they stopped many future problems from happening by drawing a line for all to see.

Spot on! I'm a big fan of Conor, but it was the right move for all of these reasons.

GJdeux - the hype is done. he lost, then had a temper tantrum like a little girl.... he'll be lucky if people give a shit about him anymore.

remember the sage hype? how many topics you see? 0

lets see in a month.

GJdeux - the hype is done. he lost, then had a temper tantrum like a little girl.... he'll be lucky if people give a shit about him anymore.

LMFAO, you can't even believe that... Conor got more press on those tweets then all the UFC got for 200. If they announced him vs Nate on 201, everyone would be talking about that fight and not 200. That rematch will do 1.4+ mil buys if they do it this year regardless of who else is on the card.

I think that the Fertittas and Dana are making this too personal.. If they don't want their star mouthing off then they won't have the same star power in Conor.. Him saying things like "he runs tings" is what caused his draw.. IMO they made a big mistake by castrating his huge balls.

McGregor learning a lesson.

Zuffa, like a boss.

In the short term its bad for the UFC. They are definitely gonna be losing some PPV buys, probably some ticket sales, the huge 200 event lost some luster and isnt looking as huge as it did, and they kind of look like dicks for pulling Conor off the card over something perceived as petty.

In the long term, its a good move and good for them. Theyve never had a star as "big" as Conor, theyve treated him and promoted him differently than others. Hes a different kind of person. If they let him get away with skipping a promo, it opens to the door for more people to try the same and opens the door for fighters to push back. The UFC needs to be larger than any one fighter, they need to retain the power to keep going the way they wanna go. Letting Conor get away with it might seem like a little thing, but it could have had big implications.