Why should I use the gi?

no disrespect but jackson Correira is not an accomplished MMA fighter. CONSIDER THE SOURCE, think for yourself.

WHY IS IT NOT PERFECTLY OBVIOUS THAT IN ANY SPORT, TRAINING SHOULD SIMULATE COMPETITION?

No one said what about the street or what about switching to BJJ. for MMA, train no gi, for mundials, wear it.

once again, completely off topic....

Though most people on this forum seem to prefer no gi, I prefer to wear it. A gi adds many more weapons to your arsenal of submissions. Also,in a real fight,if your opponent is wearing a thick shirt or better still a jacket,then you have so many submissions you can excecute using his clothing. I think gi training is extremely important,especially if you live in a northern(cold) area. Down here in Florida, most of the time people are wearing a tshirt, a light shirt,or no shirt at all-being well versed in no gi techniques makes good sense down here. Im not worried about what works in competition,I trained for real self defense.

Eddie: So even if I'm just a beginer, (blue belt) You do not recomed me to wear a gi?

Most of the arguments on here seem valid, but wat eddie said I think makes the most sense, I mean I don't think Shumaher has to race an indy car in order to get better at formula1. On the other hand I think it migth just help to make my game tigther, I'm a big guy here in mex (1.93 cm and 107kg) so some times I tend to go out on strengt to over power some guys. I mean can using the gi for training in sub grappling or mma be viewed as some kind of training instrument to keep you'r form good?, like ortopedic bag gloves, etc

In other words I'm still confused.

BTW I'll love to train some time whit you Eddie, it is one of my goals for this year (if that's ok whit you) As soon as I get some time and money I'll be in contact whit you

Thanks again and keep the TTT

Fabio

I dont think gi helps mma at all!But in order for me to train good bjj classes,I have to do classes with a gi.....I do lots of judo,judos with a gi but I dudo for fun + cardio.

Bjj guys will tell you that the gi helps but i disagree..

I think its just part of bjj where they refuse to evolve

to me a gi is like training wheels that you need for a long time. it is much easier to learn submissions with a gi then go to no gi. once you reach purple belt level, if you want to only do mma i would say that is a good time to give up the gi.

"Though most people on this forum seem to prefer no gi, I prefer to wear it. A gi adds many more weapons to your arsenal of submissions. Also,in a real fight,if your opponent is wearing a thick shirt or better still a jacket,then you have so many submissions you can excecute using his clothing."

Mr. Nemo, I agree. I've always heard and agreed with the theory that you add more weapons to your arsenal of submissions starting WITH the gi. And I don't think most of the BJJ guys say this because they have a problem with evolution. They know from experience. Royce has proven that he can win with or without the gi, but in my opinion I think you can learn many more submissions with it.

That being said, I think its up to us as individuals to train the way we want and for what we want. I have no aspirations of fighting MMA, so 90% of my training is with the gi and I know you can apply it to street clothes here in Ohio at least. If you have a no-gi tournament or a MMA tournament approaching though, it would obviously be smarter to train without a gi.

I really enjoy everyone's opinions here, but you have to keep in mind that everyone trains for a different reason. There are probably some professional fighters here, some sport jiu jitsu guys, some judo guys, other martial arts, some guys that consider themselves to train in self-defense with no particular martial art classification, some bjj hobbyists, and some fans who don't train at all but put their two cents in.

Best of luck to you with whatever style you decide to train in predominantly and best of luck in your future MMA career and school.

"lol@ ppl who think GI's simulate real life conditions"

Have you ever whipped on some jeans and a t-shirt and trained. Try it before saying t-shirts can't be used like a gi.

I prefer no gi, but the reality is t-/collared shirts can be nasty to be choked with.

I'm sick, but not that sick.

In my opinion I think that most so called tough guys on the streets have no idea how they can be controlled with their own clothes. They're not aware of how vulnerable they are to chokes with their shirts, jackets, 2" thick (exaggerating a little) chains etc. I think just about ALL clothing can be used against someone who doesn't know how to defend it. Most people on the streets would have no idea what you're doing.

And I think training in general enables me to more easily walk away from most would be fighting situations.

"i got a sub wrestling tourney in 3 weeks
gi is in cupboard :)

seriously train the way u compete...if u aint competing in gi then dont train in it"

The above post is your answer!!!!

marcos should be here soon i mentioned this thread to him.

BTW most people that train no gi train in board shorts and a t-shirt... which is pretty close to the way people dress here in south florida.

I think that one of the big reasons my team and I have had such quick success is because we train a lot without the gi.

I have produced several high-level grapplers in about two to three years. My wife Leonor, Enrico Cocco, Charles McCarthy, and Jorge Masvidal are some of the guys that I have brought up without the gi and are having tremendous success in professional grappling / NHB - all four with only two to three years of training.

The four I mentioned above are incredibly technical and finish the vast majority of their matches in the advanced divisions. I have highlight videos of Charles and Enrico at the website (www.freestylefighting.net) and I am working on Jorge and Leonor's videos.

But then again, it also depends on who you train with and how you train. But the thought that you need a gi in order to be technical is a myth in my opinion.

However, the gi is fun and I train with it. I train a lot more no-gi since I compete a lot in no-gi competition. I don't think that gi training is going to help your no-gi game more than training without it - but its something different. And for self-defense reasons, its useful. In Miami, everyone is in shorts and t-shirts - but up North in the winter, everyone is in jackets and stuff. I'm sure its good to be aware of people's clothes when fighting.

I would do about 80% no-gi and 20% gi. So if you train five days a week, I would train with the gi once a week. Why? Just my taste :)

Marcos

Almost all of the best no-gi submission fighters have a strong GI background. There are people who have trained no-gi for a decade now and they still haven´t catched up with the best GI players. People like Marcello Garcia, Leo Viera, J-O Einemo etc all train with the GI. The proof is in the results IMHO...

s98ronin,

That is like saying that folkstyle wrestling is the best way to prepare for the Olympics because all of the olympic gold medalists had a strong background in folkstyle.

Sure, you can make the conversion from folkstyle to freestyle and still be a champion - just like a lot of the gi champions convert to no-gi. But that doesn't mean that their route was the ultimate route.

And there are a lot more gi bjj schools than no-gi schools. There are only a handful of exclusive no-gi schools headed by no-gi champions or black belt level instructors. I guess time will tell.

"Almost all of the best no-gi submission fighters have a strong GI background. There are people who have trained no-gi for a decade now and they still haven´t catched up with the best GI players. People like Marcello Garcia, Leo Viera, J-O Einemo etc all train with the GI. The proof is in the results IMHO.."

Marcello and John Olav are 2 of just a handful of no-gi "submission" machines that have a gi background.

What about all the Mundial champions that can't seem to finish anyone without the gi consistently, there's hundreds of them.

Explain that.

I love trianing gi. I like no gi because I fell less in trouble because I can muscle or slide out of submissions. There is a more techincal feel with training in a gi. Plus there are more submissions, and counters, plus when you are able to control your opponent you are able to do some really sneaky moves.

But training in no gi. Say for instance wrestling, you are required to have a good base. But as far as submissions go they just feel real sloppy. You have to get closer to your opponent and muscle them into a submission.

I would say it wouldnt hurt to do both. I mean they both have their advantages, and disadvantages. Though I cant find any at the moment for gi. Someone please tell me some my brain is fried at the moment. But it is easier to go from gi to no gi than no gi to gi.

FABIO VARGAS...

IF YOU ARE TRAINING FOR NHB OR SUB. GRAPPLING EVENTS ONLY, DON'T USE GI . 

BUT IF YOU LIKE TO BE A ALL AROUND FIGHTER AND COMPETE AT JIU JITSU SPORT ,NHB AND SUB GRAPPLING  TOURNAMENTS  THEN DO LIKE MY FRIEND AND TRAINING PARTNER  MARCOS AVELLAN SAID. ( 20% GI AND 80% NO GI  OR ANY OTHER FORMULA THAT FITS YOU)

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I TRAINING RIGHT NOW 35% MY TIME WITH GI WHEN I TEACH CLASSES AND THE REST WITH MARCOS AND DAVID AVELLAN , EFRAIN RUIZ AND MIKE CARDOSO NO GI. THIS WORKS FOR ME.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR TRAINING AND FUTURE SUB GRAPPLING EVENTS!!! 

RICARDO TEIXEIRA BJJ BLACK BELT  FFA BOCA RATON-JUPITER

The gi provides handles that are important for beginners and intermediates. Positions are aided byu the gi handles when you first learn them and due to this you tend to learn good positioning better. YOu can adjust fairly simply after to a no-gi fame but your game will be tighter if you train with the gi. I also ageree it slows the game down and forces athletic guys to learn more technique because it is harder to pull out of submission.

I wrestled my whole life and started no gi. I have since began gi and my game is ALOT better and tighter.

Gi training is great for self defense! i know not all techniques will work with normal clothing but alot of them do. You can do many chokes and throws with t-shirts,sweaters, or jackets. I know i have got box chokes when me and guy i was grappling with just had t-shirts, so i would say gi= clothing simulates clothing.