Why So Few Check Hooks in mMa?

ausgepicht - I see it ALL THE TIME. Not sure why this thread even exists.

Thread should be 'why so few jabs in MMA'.

ausgepicht - I see it ALL THE TIME. Not sure why this thread even exists.

Exactly, pretty much all the more technical guys seem to land em'. Is the question why do guys with crappy boxing not use technique? Phone Post

Riley Freeman - 
TheThrill - why check hook? looks like a lead left hook to me

do you even train?

BJ bitch slapped Kenny Florian with one, when Kenny tried doing the superman punch on him.

dont even know where to begin with this wiseass answer

Str4nger D4nger - 
Exactly, pretty much all the more technical guys seem to land em'. Is the question why do guys with crappy boxing not use technique? Phone Post
We should see them all the time, but it's rare and effective. It seems to be the domain of striking first fighters with a wealth of boxing/kickboxing experience, but it hasn't disemminated down to the generic MMA guy yet like the Superman punch or spinning backfist has.

The best thing about a check hook is the guys face when he thought he was closing the distance and is met with a buckling whack to his rear ear.....

The term "check hook" is something Mayweather's camp came up with. In all my years of boxing no one ever called a short left hook a "check hook". Catching someone with a lead left hook as there coming in requires a lot of speed, accuracy and good timing but is very effective because it comes at an odd angle, so your opponent doesn't see it coming. As anyone who as ever boxed knows, it's the punch you don't see that hurts you.

I'm sure tons of people will now tell me I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, "check hook" blah, blah, blah, do I even train, etc.

Carry on.

Tad Ghostal - The ultimate Cheick hook:

http://imgboot.com/images/jstyles/10000774.gif
Interesting note: Kongo caught Cain as he was backing Cheick up against the fence in a very similar fashion to the way he caught Pat Barry.

I think a lot of HW's should pay attention to that an not chase Kongo as he is backing up...........

GingerWhinger -
Str4nger D4nger - 
We should see them all the time, but it's rare and effective. It seems to be the domain of striking first fighters with a wealth of boxing/kickboxing experience, but it hasn't disemminated down to the generic MMA guy yet like the Superman punch or spinning backfist has.

Well yeah cause those miss all the time. If the hook misses then it didn't check nuffin. Timing and accuracy play a big part. Phone Post

scarfacedave - The term "check hook" is something Mayweather's camp came up with. In all my years of boxing no one ever called a short left hook a "check hook". Catching someone with a lead left hook as there coming in requires a lot of speed, accuracy and good timing but is very effective because it comes at an odd angle, so your opponent doesn't see it coming. As anyone who as ever boxed knows, it's the punch you don't see that hurts you.

I'm sure tons of people will now tell me I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, "check hook" blah, blah, blah, do I even train, etc.

Carry on.

Roy Jones Sr. taught it and called it that since a long ass time ago...Emanuel Steward has called it that forever too. Phone Post

A check hook and a short hook aren't completely the same. A check hook requires someone coming forward and the hook is used to stop their forward progress or check them. It's as old as boxing. The name probably varies from gym to gym, but the technique has been around forever. 

In MMA fights, guys, even top guys tend to wade in without setting themselves up, either for striking or clinching purposes. I just thought that since this was the case and there have been very successful check hook kos in MMA, it would be something guys would work at more. I'm not looking for an argument, just a discussion.