Why the hip escape is bad for guard retention

Thanks meatgrinder. I just wanted to point out that the sports are different. Here is another video that show how they are different. In the bottom video he teaches to frame the hip. I see this a lot in sport but in mma you can't do this. https://youtu.be/yi6jRh7qBFs

I have no doubt that the video Lachlan produced is a great video though. He is an incredible grappler and he puts a lot of thought into what he teaches. If you are looking for guard retention for sport this material looks awesome, I just hate when people say things like __________'s jiu-jitsu sucks compared to the new school bjj. _______ likely just prefers not to use some of the "new school" techniques that could develop bad habits for a real fight. 

You can do the "high pummel" while maintaining your defensive frames and stepping on their shoulder prevents hard shots much more effectively then just using your hands to block them. Also depending on rulest/position you can use the pummeling leg to kick your opponent in the face.

Agree that hip framing like in the John Thomas video is a less good idea when strikes are coming down, though.

PointyShinyBurn -

You can do the "high pummel" while maintaining your defensive frames and stepping on their shoulder prevents hard shots much more effectively then just using your hands to block them. Also depending on rulest/position you can use the pummeling leg to kick your opponent in the face.

Agree that hip framing like in the John Thomas video is a less good idea when strikes are coming down, though.

There's a time and place. If someone is posturing and striking, it is a bad idea and you will take a hard and potentially knockout blow

However, if you opponent is actively trying to hold you down following a takedown or just really focused on grappling at the moment to control your hips, it's a great technique

In sport BJJ, passer on top has no incentive to just posture and back off to make space, whereas in MMA it is reuqired to do so to create space to hit a grounded opponent hard. Just need to have good instincts and decision making

mideastgrappler -
PointyShinyBurn -

There's a time and place. If someone is posturing and striking, it is a bad idea and you will take a hard and potentially knockout blow

However, if you opponent is actively trying to hold you down following a takedown or just really focused on grappling at the moment to control your hips, it's a great technique

In sport BJJ, passer on top has no incentive to just posture and back off to make space, whereas in MMA it is reuqired to do so to create space to hit a grounded opponent hard. Just need to have good instincts and decision making

Yeah, that makes sense, I was thinking of it more as a reponse to the torreando position he shows there where your opponent is about to 'Fedor pass' into an overhand right.

Though, thinking about it now, maybe if you stand on your shoulders a bit more and chamber an upkick it could be viable. Something to play with if I'm ever actually on a mat again.

“As pointed out many times mma is a different game than sport bjj. While they use similar techniques there are still some important differences.”

This is true, but we need to try to discourage and prevent this schism between the two as much as possible.

Soul Gravy - "As pointed out many times mma is a different game than sport bjj. While they use similar techniques there are still some important differences."

This is true, but we need to try to discourage and prevent this schism between the two as much as possible.

If we try to do that then which way do we lean towards because what Lachlan is teaching is obviously better for grappling but the fundamental way certainly has its place in mma?

Here is a video showing the fundamental way.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AEMOkYfzB0&feature=youtu.be

The below video shows a situation in mma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6m1NbicU4 This video has a lot that we could discuss but the main point I want to make first is that the guard pass situation all started with the way the bottom player was playing guard. When the opponent is standing and looking to punch you it is standard to defend with your feet on his hips like what is discussed in the second video @3:55. Notice in the first video @3:25 Gustavo has his legs somewhat extended on the hips in the same  way without any grips with his hands. No doubt the modern guard players will say that this is a mistake in grappling and his knees should be in tight. They are correct. Problem is if the guy does this in a striking situation he will get hit. So my point is that the guard is played different out of neccesity and the way guard retention is played is an extension of this. In grappling the guy will keep his knees in tight. This might mean staying in a lying position or sitting up when the guy steps back. In mma you cant do either because when lying the guy can get close enough to hit you if you are not keeping distance with your legs and when sitting up, if the guy is too close he can just knee you. I just wanted to point out that the guard games are different from the start, I could go into a lot of things the guy on bottom could do in the second video but I got my main point across. They are two different sports with two different agendas and this calls for different methods for achieving the agenda or and defending.

I am just saying, how do we discourage seperating the two sports and when the way Lachlan is teaching is clearly better for grappling but also not as good for mma?

This thread has me wondering about BJJ for MMA instructionals, something I dont remember seeing a lot of. I just did a search and didn't turn up anything except an old Burton Richardson set.

Does anyone know of any good BJJ for MMA instructionals? Or are the old Vale Tudo tapes your best option?

blabbermouth -

This thread has me wondering about BJJ for MMA instructionals, something I dont remember seeing a lot of. I just did a search and didn't turn up anything except an old Burton Richardson set.

Does anyone know of any good BJJ for MMA instructionals? Or are the old Vale Tudo tapes your best option?

There is some good stuff but imo learning a solid Gracie Jiu-Jitsu game from the start and building from there is best. Once you learn the fundamentals there will always be new stuff you can add to it. Some of it will be temporary and some will becaome a permenant part of your game.

As far as video instruction, I like Ricksons new teaching, I like Henry's stuff a lot, and I like Reners stuff a lot also. Any of those would be great imo. Here is an example of the basic structure of an mma guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Eo74qbDww

From there you can find a way to add in a lot of stuff such as Lachlan's leg lock dvd. Learning fundamental GJJ and practicing with strikes you will be able to determine what fits in and what doesn't. Or what you might want to add to your grappling game but it is not fight applicable, etc.

There are also dvd sets like Joe Lauzon's Grappling Hacks that have some cool new stuff on them for mma also but they are to be added to your fundamental game imo.

Big nog had a bjj for mma dvd years ago

mario sperry too

blabbermouth -

Ryan Hall's new sets (https://ryanhallonline.com/) are pretty focused on fighting, if you're looking for someone who has actually been there and done that in the modern era.

I’ve been working the high pummel the last few practices with some success. Not putting my feet to the ground is an easier adjustment than I thought, it makes sense.