Why the Obsession with Finishing Fights?

MMA is a sport, not some kind of fight to the death, underground bullshit from a bad movie. Why can't MMA fans treat it like a proper sport and enjoy it for what it is, regardless of a decision or stoppage?

Every goal doesn't have to be a bicycle kick. Every at bat doesn't have to be a home run or strikeout. Every pass doesn't have to be a 90 yard bomb. Every boxing match doesn't have to look like Tyson vs a can. 

We accept that special things don't happen all the time in sports, yet dummies on here are always screaming for a finish like they were Caesar giving the thumbs down. 

Its a combat sport, people want to see combat.

People also want to be entertained.

Why do you think star wars makes more money than a documentary about rocks? because it was more fucking entertaining.

I do appreciate every bit of MMA,
but I watch it to be entertained.
End of story.

I'm not a finish freak like some, but I admit a finishless or near-finish filled highlight doesn't quite have that same appeal.

IMO it isn't about finishing,

its about TRYING to finish.

Call me old fashioned, but when I watch a fight,
I like the see a guy trying to hurt a guy.

My obsession with finishes comes from being a purist, and enjoying what this sport was MEANT to be. A test of one's superiority over anothers in combat.

Fuck what 3 morons think, and fuck a time limit.

Who is the best, in the real world of hand to hand combat.

for some peeople on here

-A fight that goes to a decision sucks, no matter how awesome or back and fourth the action is.

-Where as a fight that ends with a finish is awesome no matter how competitive or lackluster it was before that point.

I'm in agreement with you Lupo

LayNprayNINJA - My obsession with finishes comes from being a purist, and enjoying what this sport was MEANT to be. A test of one's superiority over anothers in combat.

lol at this.

FenceGrab - IMO it isn't about finishing,

Call me old fashioned, but when I watch a fight,
I like the see a guy trying to hurt a guy.

Indeed. It's not about every fight being a highlight reel finish, but many fighters have embraced the MMA equivalent of point-fighting. Non-engaging and then trying to win the round with a take-down with 10 seconds left, maybe adding a few pillow-punches in for good measure. Or taking someone down and holding until you're stood up, then just repeating the sequence. It is a sport, but it's a COMBAT sport, and it's been a little light on the combat lately. There is a difference between "safe fighting" and what we're referring to.

Other than historical purposes, do you really want to sit through a 22-inning 1-0 win won on a balk ?

Recreational thread.

FenceGrab - it isn't about finishing,

This

I agree that simply stating that so-and-so has finished x number of fights, doesn't necessarily mean he's an exciting fighter. Same way you can't say "look at his face" when determining whether or not a guy won. But I think that attempts to finish the fight should count for a hell of a lot more than "octagon control".

I think the problem has more to do with the grappling aspect than striking. I enjoy watching a great wrestling scramble, but I'd like to see the guys evolve and attempt to pass guard, or get to a more dominant position, and go for a fight-ending submission.

We almost have the opposite problem (in my opinion) when it comes to striking. I think there's way too much bomb throwing and not enough technical striking.

I want a legitimate sport, not pro wrestling, but I think some simple changes to the judging criteria can create much more exciting fights.

Again, just my opinion.

Like what others have said earlier;

I want to see two fighters demonstrate superiority in combat. Not lay n' pray, wall stalling, jog n' jab...etc fighting not to lose.

I'm not asking for a slugfest every outing, but two fighters at least trying to finish or inflict damage. Phone Post

When you get to a certain level there is parity in the sport. Top guys are generally hard to finish. I'd rather watch 2 top 5 guys go to the scorecards than a gross mismatch that produces a finish for the sake of a finish.

I'll take Edgar-Maynard, Aldo-Hominick over Fedor-Zulu

It's only natural that there will be decisions as the sport grows. The fighters are much better, especially on the ground and don't give up as many chances. Phone Post

i want to see two people fight. fighting should be about trying to put the other guy away, by ko or sub. i dont care if it goes to decision, as long as the fighters are FIGHTING.  with that said MOAR KO"S AND SUBZ

Some people want the same amount of finishes that came from UFC 1 and it's not realistic. Phone Post

because its much more pure/entertaining/interesting as a fight, not as a sport. pretty sure most of us would rather watch UFC 1 rules if the civil world allowed vs todays

ryanisagarrett -  i want to see two people fight. fighting should be about trying to put the other guy away, by ko or sub. i dont care if it goes to decision, as long as the fighters are FIGHTING.  with that said MOAR KO"S AND SUBZ

What if the opportunity is there? Easy to say in theory. Phone Post

Ansari - 
FenceGrab - <font size="5">it isn't about finishing,

its about TRYING to finish.</font>
This

yup yup

In order to finish there needs to be an opportunity. Fighters today don't give many openings. On the ground it's becoming very rare to see a finish from anyone. Phone Post