Why the smaller octagon?

I don’t understand. Can someone please explain. Thanks 

More finishes.

2 Likes

Dana said because the bigger octagon would take up too much space at the Apex center.

1 Like

Could be size of venue / safety 2m distancing? 

I'm a fan! Takes me back to the WEC days!

6 Likes

Didn’t they use a smaller octagon at Hard Rock and the Palms back in the day?

1 Like
Just_Scrap -

I'm a fan! Takes me back to the WEC days!

Agree.. I think he was a big reason WEC events were great, and was way better for showcasing the smaller fighters.

1 Like

They should keep this size forever

1 Like
FatBuddha - Dana said because the bigger octagon would take up too much space at the Apex center.

Cool. Just strange to change something that’s regulation. I wouldn’t want the nba to be like the court today is 10’ less. It def has been more action tho 

1 Like

Smaller cage makes the fighters look bigger on TV.

They keep saying this cage is only 5 feet smaller but it’s 7 feet.  The standard octagon was 32 feet.

fedro -
FatBuddha - Dana said because the bigger octagon would take up too much space at the Apex center.

Cool. Just strange to change something that’s regulation. I wouldn’t want the nba to be like the court today is 10’ less. It def has been more action tho 

Yeah, or like take a European hockey player that is a pro on Olympic size ice, then give them a NHL rink to play on.  

Thankfully I don’t think the sport of MMA has evolved to the point where 7 feet matters.  The fighters seem fine with it.

I used to believe it caused more grappling but so far so good. 

jhedges - 
fedro - 

It’s within the size range specified in the regulations. No smaller than 20-feet and no larger than 32-feet. Not all boxing rings are the same size, either.

This. 

When Ali fought, the ring was always huge. Tyson not so much. Personally I like the larger cage, but understand the phone booth fighting appreciation too.

Would a smaller cage have made a difference in the Masvidal - Askren fight?

FatBuddha - Would a smaller cage have made a difference in the Masvidal - Askren fight?

Quicker KO

1 Like

I think it’s great

1 Like

I liked it. Look at all the action tonight. 

The big cage just makes fighters elusive & counter more. 

They can sell more ticket's, when it's smaller.

Kirik -
jhedges - 
fedro - 

It’s within the size range specified in the regulations. No smaller than 20-feet and no larger than 32-feet. Not all boxing rings are the same size, either.

This. 

When Ali fought, the ring was always huge. Tyson not so much. Personally I like the larger cage, but understand the phone booth fighting appreciation too.

The A side fighters always negotiated for the ring to be in their favor. When Ray Leonard negotiated to fight Marvelous Marvin Hagler, there were three demands made by Ray. It was to be 12 rounds (not 15), they wore 12 ounce gloves, and the ring had to be 20FT (I believe).He wanted to be able to use his speed. I’m sure guys like Tyson, Duran and JC Chavez wanted smaller, even “soft” 16FT rings. Soft meaning there was extra padding under the canvas making it almost similar to a wrestling mat. Rings like that were tough for guys who used their legs because it slowed them down, and the brawler type guys loved it.

At first, I was like WTF. But later, I kind of agree it brings more action. Though we’d need to see some HWs to gauge if it’s big enough!