Why US military usually punishes misconduct but..

If you aren't losing your shit on meth, fentanyl, and passing counterfit bills, you would have less chance of finding yourself in the absolutely horrible situation of dying with a cop's shin on your neck. 

Darth Potato - 
saglv -
Kings21 - 
saglv -
Muscle Vision - 
CavemanDave -

Are you suggesting we make police military?

It’s the only answer Mr. Dave

What a bizarre assertion, lmao.

Its either make them military or do nothing. There is nothing in the middle to be done. 

Smh

Exactly lol.

I just find the article intersting, particularly the juxtaposition of the way military members view their institutions and the way police view their institutions. That's it.

You also have to remember that military members are heavily indoctrinated.  It’s not until you’re a salty e-4 Who can’t promote but is doing the e 6 jobs that you start to lose faith in the service.

Sorry the promotions were wide open until we enlisted 10,000 too many of you! 

Darth Potato - 
saglv -
Kings21 - 
saglv -
Muscle Vision - 
CavemanDave -

Its either make them military or do nothing. There is nothing in the middle to be done. 

Smh

Exactly lol.

I just find the article intersting, particularly the juxtaposition of the way military members view their institutions and the way police view their institutions. That's it.

You also have to remember that military members are heavily indoctrinated.  It’s not until you’re a salty e-4 Who can’t promote but is doing the e 6 jobs that you start to lose faith in the service.

I think that another huge difference is in the amount of training. My understanding is that most police officers do a pitiful amount of training (combatives, de-escalation, etc) after they leave academy. They just get tossed out there and are like 'good luck, figure it out.'

In the military, boot camp is just the beginning of the training. Then you have months of MOS school, and then you are pretty much constantly training when in garrison.

saglv -

not Police.

https://theconversation.com/why-the-us-military-usually-punishes-misconduct-but-police-often-close-ranks-127898

Interesting read.

It seems that a lot of times the police just don't trust their own institution, the only people they trust are fellow officers --- not captains, not management, not the department, not the mayor.

Which seems to align with this article --- that Marines view the Marines as a trustworthy institution, while police don't see their own police department in the same light.

Technically speaking if your active and fook up outside a military base. You can be tried both by who ever is in charge of that jurisdiction as well as the military. Usually that is not the case but it is a possibility. 

The base of it is that you belong to the military while active, which belongs to the government. You answer to them. An officer is considered part of our government but is not owned by the government. They keep things in house for reasons well beyond this discussion and i dont neccessarily agree with all of them. 

DaveFu - 

210,000 Marines including reserves. 

99% of Marines answer to other Marines and don't have to wonder if their next paycheck is coming in. They also don't have to worry about their pay just being cut willy nilly or if the day they ride into Camp Pendleton at 530 is the day they eat a bullet. 

When you're a marine, you usually get a heads up of when you're going into harm's way. You also have clear rules of engagement and a chain of command authorizing specific applications of lethal force. Cops are finding out that even following their training can get them charged with capital murder if they're forced to defend themseleves. 

800,000 LEOs in the country. 

Cops answer to local, state, and national bureaucrats and politicians. They also know better than most that the cops who place the highest value on their team and suboordinates well-being don't necessarily get ahead the fastest. 

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was easier to be promoted if threw your suboordinates under the bus and cashed in all their good morale to get promoted and then make the next person clean up the mess you deliberately made. 

My point is that it's an apples to oranges comparison. 

Just wanted to point out that cops answer to those bureaucrats and politicians that do not have the cops best interests in mind.

Damien8003 - 
DaveFu - 

210,000 Marines including reserves. 

99% of Marines answer to other Marines and don't have to wonder if their next paycheck is coming in. They also don't have to worry about their pay just being cut willy nilly or if the day they ride into Camp Pendleton at 530 is the day they eat a bullet. 

When you're a marine, you usually get a heads up of when you're going into harm's way. You also have clear rules of engagement and a chain of command authorizing specific applications of lethal force. Cops are finding out that even following their training can get them charged with capital murder if they're forced to defend themseleves. 

800,000 LEOs in the country. 

Cops answer to local, state, and national bureaucrats and politicians. They also know better than most that the cops who place the highest value on their team and suboordinates well-being don't necessarily get ahead the fastest. 

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was easier to be promoted if threw your suboordinates under the bus and cashed in all their good morale to get promoted and then make the next person clean up the mess you deliberately made. 

My point is that it's an apples to oranges comparison. 

Just wanted to point out that cops answer to those bureaucrats and politicians that do not have the cops best interests in mind.

Careful, you don't want your blackness to come under review. lol 

saglv -
Darth Potato - 
saglv -
Kings21 - 
saglv -
Muscle Vision - 
CavemanDave -

Smh

Exactly lol.

I think that another huge difference is in the amount of training. My understanding is that most police officers do a pitiful amount of training (combatives, de-escalation, etc) after they leave academy. They just get tossed out there and are like 'good luck, figure it out.'

In the military, boot camp is just the beginning of the training. Then you have months of MOS school, and then you are pretty much constantly training when in garrison.

Very true.  

training, drills, inspections... goes on and on.