Why was Kanyon released?

Stupid move.

Even if he wasn't a main event guy, he's way better than most current mid-carders.

Who betta?

Nobody.

I found him annoying, personally.

he used to come up with some pretty cool and different moves, they should have kept him on as some kind of trainer maybe.

Charlie Haas sounds like a little bitch.

TLM, can you elaborate? I thought kanyon was great too; he really was innovative at times.

Kanyon would be the only wrestler in the room who wouldn't get up and shake Vince's hand.. he despised him that much...

He was sickened by the fact that Vince used his company to make people do things they didn't want to do, just because he could.

I have said it before that I think that Kanyon and Nova should be a tag team. I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I thought that I would throw that out there.

Why was Kanyon released? The answer lies in the reason why he was hired in the first place. Always begin at the beginning.

Chris came over as part of the roster of WCW 'superstars' from Vince's purchase of Turner's company. Had Chris not been part of that package, it's HIGHLY doubtful Vince would have ever pursued him on his own. While he does have certain strengths, he possesses none of the qualities that WWE looks for when investing in new talent.

Of the two dozen WCW guys who came in with the purchase, very few became successfully integrated into the company on a major level. Guys like Bagwell, Stasiak & Mike Awesome flopped right off the bat. Others like Palumbo, Kidman & Helms have found moderate success on an inconsistent basis. You can count on one hand those who actually became an asset on the level of Booker T.

Since he debuted in summer of 2001, Kanyon's time has been uneventful. On paper, he was among the least attractive guys coming in. He was among the oldest, he has a history of being injury prone, he doesn't have a telegenic look, and most importantly for a veteran....has ZERO history of drawing money despite over a decade in the business.

At age 35 he's not getting any younger, and doesn't fit in with Vince's vision of building a youth movement. He's a good hand, in an environment where there's no shortage or demand for good hands.

Long story short, WWE has no interest now, just as there never really was any interest to begin with. The only thing that changed was the circumstances, and his contract wasn't renewed.

Chris will find work on the indy scene. I wish him well, but like most of those who came over with the WCW purchase, he was not a good fit for the company. Large scale signings are NEVER a good idea.

Here's what Jim Ross had to say on Chris Kanyon's release:

On Kanyon: Ive always thought that Chris Kanyon is a very talented in-ring tactician. Ive always appreciated his being a lifelong fan because I can relate to that. The fact that the guy does have considerable skills in the ring and the fact that he still, at this age, has many years of in-ring activity ahead of him, it only seemed fair, if we werent going to do anything with him, to not string him along and to be honest with him and say, We dont have anything. And give him the opportunity to go wrestle because thats what he loves doing. So thats what we did. Chris was a model locker room talent always punctual, always professional, great attitude. Hell be a great addition to anyones locker room or anyones event. Its just that at this point, there werent any opportunities with him.

Like I said, it's nothing personal, but realistically there's no demand for his services.

For more on the comments of Jim Ross on recent (and impending) releases, go here:

www.wwe.com/news/headlines/1253912

"On paper, he was among the least attractive guys coming in. He was among the oldest, he has a history of being injury prone, he doesn't have a telegenic look, and most importantly for a veteran....has ZERO history of drawing money despite over a decade in the business."

He's not 35, since when was he injury prone in WCW? When was he ever given a chance to draw money? Vince actually wanted Kanyon. The only reason his contract wasn't bought out when Vince bought WCW was because Kanyon's contract expired, literally, 2 days before Vince bought WCW.

Theadonis is more than correct... he once got in trouble with Arn Anderson, because the match he put on was too good, so the drunkard, AA went and told Vince that Kanyon purposely went against his wishes.

Kanyon was just back from his near death hospital stay, needed to show management he still had it, even managed to get the crowd chanting for his opponent (an unsigned wrestler), yet he got in trouble for it.

"He's not 35,"

That was a typo, he's 34, big difference.

"since when was he injury prone in WCW?"

Like most guys who work the circuit for any length, he was banged up. Taking bumps like the one he did off the Triple Cage in WCW also didn't inspire much confidence. More importantly, his tenure in WWE belied his dwindling shelf life. Here's a quote from the man himself:

Courtesy of WWE Byte This (August 2002)

"Kanyon says he got the shoulder dislocated working an Heartland Wrestling Association house show in what sounds like a real barn of an arena. He landed wrong, and the schmutz on the floor got ground into to the shoulder area where the bruising from the dislocation was, and got it infected. But he still kept wrestling on it. The infection turned into an abscess on his upper left arm about six inches long by three inches wide, and had spread throughout his system so quickly that his blood oxygen level dropped from a normal 95% to 41%. He literally couldn't breathe.

Kelly asks if the WWE's downsizing had anything to do with Kanyon continuing to wrestle with his injury? Kanyon says that was part of the reason, seeing as how the good push he got off the "WCW Invasion" evaporated when he hurt his knee. Then, just when the knee got better and he was getting ready for his return to the WWE ring, this thing had to happen.
"When business is down," says Kanyon, "you work harder. I was in the best shape of my career before I got hurt. The WWE doesn't fire you just because you are hurt. I got some of the best treatment from the WWE when I got hurt. I feel like I owe the company now since they supported me while I was hurt, and then while I was training. They want you to improve and get better."

www.lordsofpain.net/news/2002_/articles/1029117338.php

"When was he ever given a chance to draw money?"

The chance? This isn't spin the bottle, in this business you make your own brakes. Kanyon's been working for over a DECADE. Over that course of time, can you honestly name for me a PPV he's headlined? The largest house he's drawn as THE star? An example of him scoring the highest quarter hour on any show he's appeared on? Any crossover mainstream appeal he's attained? Any example of him drawing overseas as a special attraction? How about any other example of him drawing money on a large scale for any company he's worked for?

Kanyon has find success in the past as part of a thriving package, where he was among many cogs in a wheel pulled by the REAL draws. That's not the same thing as being an actual money player.

When you put things in context, the reality is WWE has a roster full of guys who either have done any (and some ALL) of the above, or are younger with the star qualities the company looks for.

Given the options of either:

a. Investing time & money in an older proven name talent who has a track record of drawing money in the past

b. Investing time & money in a young talent with the star qualities & potential to draw money

c. Investing time & money in an older talent with no track record of drawing money

Option C is Kanyon. Option C makes absolutely no business sense.

"Vince actually wanted Kanyon. The only reason his contract wasn't bought out when Vince bought WCW was because Kanyon's contract expired, literally, 2 days before Vince bought WCW."

Vince wanted the WCW idea as a whole at the time. Chris was part of the WCW package concept. That's the only reason he got in. He was a good hand & I wish him well. There are no bad guys in this situation, it just didn't work out.

"Like most guys who work the circuit for any length, he was banged up. Taking bumps like the one he did off the Triple Cage in WCW also didn't inspire much confidence."

ROTFL... He called me 10 minutes after that bump... it was padded beyond belief.

And I disagree... When has Kanyon been given a push like the many A-Train pushes? Never. He had a few minor pushes in WCW, with Raven. He can't go out there and "make his own breaks" because when he did that, AA cried like a woman and told Vince that Kanyon was "upstaging" other talent.

"Vince wanted the WCW idea as a whole at the time. Chris was part of the WCW package concept. That's the only reason he got in."

Incorrect. Vince WANTED Kanyon specifically.

"ROTFL... He called me 10 minutes after that bump... it was padded beyond belief."

I know it was padded. It's his willingness to take those types of bumps that causes concern...which was probably 'why' he called you immediately thereafter. If you know him personally and you feel that his years of ring time have miraculously had no effect on him, I'll respect that. If you want to say that he's not injury prone at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"And I disagree... When has Kanyon been given a push like the many A-Train pushes? Never. He had a few minor pushes in WCW, with Raven. He can't go out there and "make his own breaks" because when he did that, AA cried like a woman and told Vince that Kanyon was "upstaging" other talent."

What about Kanyon inspires investing time & money in pushing him? If you truly believe he's worth a push, where are the examples of his past success of generating money ANYTIME in his decade plus career? You know how long he's been around, you've got a large window to work with. Show me the money!

If in fact you believe it's been 'impossible' for Kanyon to get over because over the course of his ENTIRE career the powers that be have PERPETUALLY held him back...well again we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"AA cried like a woman and told Vince that Kanyon was "upstaging" other talent."

You keep bringing up this incident as though it's statement of fact. If Kanyon's is your friend I can understand you taking his side verbatim and supporting him. Yet the reality is, Arn himself has a job to do and I'm sure he would have a much different story to tell if given the chance.

If Chris did something he wasn't supposed to do that effects Arn's job such as going over time or doing moves not approved by the office, or something else that would get ARN in trouble, maybe that's why HE blew up. I don't know the whole story so I'll reserve judgment.

What I do know is bashing Arn on a personal level as an alcoholic is not healthy for discussion.

"Incorrect. Vince WANTED Kanyon specifically."

So he 'wanted' to put him on payroll but he didn't want to push him and get something back from his investment? Even though Vince is the boss, maybe Arn Anderson held him down? Maybe it was a conspiracy by the guys in the back? Maybe it was HHH?

Or maybe the unfortunate occurrences of injuries, combined with differences in Kanyon's creative strengths and WWE's core objectives caused an inevitable parting of the ways. It may not be as sensational to talk about, but it is more reflective of the truth.

"What about Kanyon inspires investing time & money in pushing him? If you truly believe he's worth a push, where are the examples of his past success of generating money ANYTIME in his decade plus career?"

Same thing could be said of ALOT of FAILED WWE projects. It goes for Albert, Nathan Jones, and a slew of other idiots that had ZERO talent period. Vince could have given Kanyon the ball to see what he could do with it, I guarantee you he would have done a hell of a lot better with ONE push than alot of other "superstars" have with their multiple ones over the years.

Kanyon refused to kiss Vince's ass... He could only justify his paycheck by using the money to do nice things for others.

"It's his willingness to take those types of bumps that causes concern..."

How is falling on an incredibly padded surface "a concern????" It was softer and safer than falling in the ring.

"Same thing could be said of ALOT of FAILED WWE projects. It goes for Albert, Nathan Jones, and a slew of other idiots that had ZERO talent period."

While I wouldn't call them idiots, I agree with your point. Nathan of course quit on his own, while A Train took a pay CUT when he renewed his contract. Vince is well aware of everyones weaknesses, and it all evens out in the end.

"Vince could have given Kanyon the ball to see what he could do with it,"

During his stint Kanyon injured his knee, came back, and then dislocated his shoulder. There wasn't much time to do 'ball carrying', especially when there's a roster of healthy younger guys fighting for that same ball.

"I guarantee you he would have done a hell of a lot better with ONE push than alot of other "superstars" have with their multiple ones over the years. "

This guarantee is based on what evidence? The guys not a rookie, so where are the examples of Kanyon drawing money in the past?

"Kanyon refused to kiss Vince's ass... He could only justify his paycheck by using the money to do nice things for others."

You make it sound like Kanyon is some Buddhist Monk practicing the art of self sacrifice. I've got a question regarding a quote from Kanyon from the Byte This from August 2002:

"The WWE doesn't fire you just because you are hurt. I got some of the best treatment from the WWE when I got hurt. I feel like I owe the company now since they supported me while I was hurt, and then while I was training. They want you to improve and get better."

Now how does this jive with your accounts of how Kanyon:

"would be the only wrestler in the room who wouldn't get up and shake Vince's hand.. he despised him that much..."

or

"He was sickened by the fact that Vince used his company to make people do things they didn't want to do, just because he could."

or

"refuses to kiss his ass"?

In his OWN WORDS, he got PAID as he rehabbed and was supported at every turn, yet he's according to your accounts he's 'disgusted" by Vince? Please explain.

"How is falling on an incredibly padded surface "a concern????" It was softer and safer than falling in the ring."

If you know for a fact he wasn't hurt, I'll take your word for it. Now I'll ask you for the THIRD time, where are examples of Kanyon drawing money for any company he's worked for on a major scale? You have over a decade to work from. Show me the money!

What are the examples of Randy Orton, Batista, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin drawing anything?

At least they were given the chance. And Randy Orton and Batista have been injured more than Kanyon and they are much younger.