Why was there Beef between Neil Adams and the...

Gracies (if there was any)?

What happened all those years ago at that seminar?

ttt

Roger trained a ton with Neil in England when he was still competing a lot. Was there specific Gracies? Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post

Maybe post on atama forum. Might have better luck there

I think it's all internet rumor, someone said the Gracies had attended a seminar by Adams and the fanbois insisted that it could never have happened because Judo sucks, they couldnt' learn anything from Adams, etc etc blah blah

One said "what does he (Neil Adams) know about arm bars" and half the world died from laughter

I would love to train with Neil Adams. That would be amazing.

I thought I read somewhere that the Gracies attended a seminar by Neil Adams specifically to learn his armbar techniques.

Fast Pitch - I thought I read somewhere that the Gracies attended a seminar by Neil Adams specifically to learn his armbar techniques.

that was the start of a forum flame war, because some couldn't grasp the idea... Adams is a MASTER of armbars

In Phone Post

Lol @ the gracies being referred to like an ethnic group. Come on, there are so many it's ridiculous and any grappler in their right mind would love to train with Neil Adams.

Rumor made up by little kids bored lol Phone Post

LEMon - 

Lol @ the gracies being referred to like an ethnic group. Come on, there are so many it's ridiculous and any grappler in their right mind would love to train with Neil Adams.

Rumor made up by little kids bored lol Phone Post

I'd venture to say you hit it on the head with the last comment.  I've never heard of it before and again, Roger trained extensively with Adams for a couple years.  Why he was so confident to stand up and play judo in a lot of those Worlds matches the last few years.  Literally the only guy that got him on the feet during those years were a stud of a judoka in Leo Leite and when Xande countered him with wrestling in 2008. 

I know from Roylers side they all trained judo (Megaton, Xande, Saulo, Royler) extensively.

Carlsons guys ( Ze Mario, filho etc ) trained the hell out of it. When I was at BTT Flavio Canto was there at the time doing no gi actually Phone Post

Neil's own words. Read into it what you want.

"And what about the Gracies...?" I enquired.

"The Gracies have had a lot of success and are particularly famous in jui-jutsu. They realise the strength of close contact fighting and Royce Gracie came to a course I took in San Francisco to learn about armlocks. The Gracies are really nice people but slightly misdirected in their concepts, so it was good to educate them."

It was clear that Neil is too modest a man to comment on the rumours that he had outclassed some of the most respected ultimate fighting exponents in the world. He did, however, put me touch with someone else who might be able to shed more light on the matter. Shortly after I finished on the phone with Neil, I got a call from Geoff Thompson, the man who pioneered cross-training in Britain and who has written over 20 books on martial arts and self-protection.

Geoff is sub-editor for the Martial Arts Illustrated magazine and is also 5th dan in shotokan karate, 3rd dan in jui-jutsu and 1st dan in judo. He has trained with Rigan Machado, a member of the Gracie family, so he is well equipped to comment on the subject.

more

Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques are a whole lot rougher than judo's, pal, and if you think you know better, then maybe I gotta reeducate you a little; lock my arms and legs around you and just start screwing my hard-on into your hips, dude, tying you down and feeling you up and choking you out all once!

ausgepicht @ Geoff is one bad motherfucker.

I've not long finished reading "Watch My Back"... He is an inspiring man to say the least.

The whole Judo sucks thing was created by losers on the Internet. Seriously.

Renzo told me that they had a Judoka come into Barra once a week and teach Judo and that he was a shodan.

Edited. (I confused two separate judo sessions.)

I have to disagree with Kirik. Part of the judo sucks argument came from the Gracies and Rorion, who was always looking for a way to prove the superiority of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. That's why they went to Hayward Nishioka's judo club and beat up on a bunch of recreational players under the pretext that they wanted feedback on their judo.

Then they went to another rec club and completely ignored training rules and submitted them on the ground during Randori, no submissions, standing work only. That's why they got thrown out of the gym.

Nishioka
<br /><br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9xFgfZx98&lt;br /><br />

Judo School 1988
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdkug1ekiU

They could have brought a camera with them to film them having a go at Adams but that didn't seem to happen. <br /><br />

Yeh it's true. Everyone seems to know that having a whole set of sweeps, trips and throws at your disposal is very useful for grappling and fighting, but come on the Internet and its all wrestling vs judo vs bjj... Phone Post