Why wildcards???

So the 4 division winners plus the next best 2 records min each conference make the playoffs. 2 division winners are stuck playing the wild-card teams in an extra game.

Why not just expand the playoffs to 16 teams, either top 2 in each division make it, or do 4 winners plus next 4 best records (i.e. so 3 teams from one division could make the playoffs)?

Pros are a more equitable playoffs, and more playoff games.

The big con is the stigma of having a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs, which NFL and MLB fans rag on the NHL and NBA.

Thoughts?

MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

"because we would have 7-9 and 6-10 teams sneak in?"

Actually, under EITHER way (top 2 in each div, or div winners plus 4 wilcards per conference) the worst team record to make the playoffs this year would be 8-8.

"The big con is the stigma of having a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs, which NFL and MLB fans rag on the NHL and NBA."

Think this is a big factor - half the teams making the post season def devalues qualification to a certain extent....

That'd be awesome. Then we could have meaningless games from week 8 on for a hot starting team.

I like it just how it is now.

I like the current number of games, but there should be a rule stating that if your team is below .500 you lose your playoff spot to the best team of the other conference not to make the playoffs.

I like it the way it is now. The only thing I would change is taking away the guaranteed home game from division winners and seeding the teams according to record. A 9-7 team should not be getting a home playoff game over a 11-5 team just because they won their piece of crap division. Give them a playoff birth but take away the automatic home game. Didn't happen this year but has happened many times in years past.

Why not just say fuck it to divsion winners, and just have the top 6 conference records make the playoffs then?

I think a team's #1 goal of the year should be to win their division. Therefore, division champions are held above non-division champs. Win your division and you play at home, don't and you go on the road. Your division is tough? Too bad.

Your division is tough? Too bad.

Tough talk from a Bears fan. ;)

I do agree, your #1 goal during the season should be your division.  It all shakes out in the end anyway, teams in weak divisions usually get beat in the playoffs.

"Your division is tough? Too bad."

Spoken like a fan from the NFC West or North. It's conceivable that an 8-8 team can have home field advantage over a 12-4 team and your ok with that?

"It's conceivable that an 8-8 team can have home field advantage over a 12-4 team and your ok with that?"

Not just conceivable, but I'm pretty sure Jacksonville was 12-4 last year and had to play a road game in the first round because they didn't win their division. But seriously, if you win your division at 10-6 and get a home game against an 11-5 non-division winner.....is it your fault the other 4 teams in your division are shitty? The Bears are 13-3, but could have won the division at 10-6....so you'd send a division winner on the road, basically penalizing Chicago because the Vikings are underachievers, Green Bay is rebuilding, and Matt Millen is just plain clueless?