Why?

A kid I taught 2 years ago blew his brains out today. 14 years old. 8th grade.

RIP K.S. May you find the peace in the hear-after that you couldn’t find on earth.

19 Likes

Awful. Not sure what to say.

Young male suicide is a huge problem.

5 Likes

RIP. All we can do is our best.

4 Likes

Fucking sucks that’s why. Like you said. Hope he found peace. You know the OG is there if you need to vent.

2 Likes

Fucking horrible :cry:RIP!

2 Likes

Don’t try to sort through it… it simply won’t ever make any sense.

Your empathy will make you want to understand, but all you will get is exhausted, frustrated, and more confused. It can take you bad places if you keep pulling the thread, and you’ll still never get the answers you are looking for.

People break.
Suicide is a moment of belief that things just cannot get better and the pain is to great to bear.

I have dealt with probably 100 attempt survivors. For the ones that really meant it, not just trying to get attention, the story was always the same. They are just exhausted from the effort of life, and they are pissed and embarrassed it didn’t work.

Let it go and be there for the ones that want to live. That’s more than anyone can ask of you.

Edit- the best description anyone ever gave me was "its like deciding to jump out of a burning building. At least I get to control the last thing that happens "

27 Likes

I’m sorry, Sir.

1 Like

I’ve taught for a lot of years and have buried a lot of kids - mostly violent deaths. This is the first suicide, and the worst I have felt. I’ve been sitting in my truck trying to go back and see if there were any signs. Did I miss something? Did we miss something? I’ve made it a effort to tell every kid that walks out my door, “I love you.” No matter what shit they go through outside of my class, they always know that Mr. B loves them.

My kids are in high school and college, and I’m gonna make extra sure tonight that tell them that I love them. I hope you do the same.

No singer speaks to my darkness and despair like Layne Staley.

4 Likes

As someone who has a son around this age who has some sadness in his life this scares the hell out of me.
I just couldnt imagine. Sorry to hear of this in your world. Very painful.

5 Likes

RIP

1 Like

RIP

1 Like

I’m sorry brother, I truly am.
That kid knew Mr B loved him.
All “your” kids do. I guarantee that you have made far more difference in young lives than you’ll ever accept praise for. There are special teachers out there, not nearly enough, but they’re out there and it’s clear you are one of them.
Teachers like you had a massive impact on this troubled kid a long time ago. I never said the thank you they deserved to hear.

Thank you for caring as deeply as you do. It matters.
Just don’t let it break you brother. You simply can’t save them all.

6 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

One of my really close friends killed himself in High School. The day he did it we were in the crowded halls and he said something that I couldn’t hear. I said,” yeah dude I’ll catch you later.” I beat myself up for a long time thinking what he told me was that he was going to kill himself. I know it wasn’t. It was my brain fucking with me. I also know you didn’t miss any signs. Don’t let your brain fuck with you. Its not healthy or productive. Honor your student by maintaining your mental health.

5 Likes

The most important words

3 Likes

Despite all of the disfunction, this place has good people. Thank you all for your kind words.

2 Likes

RIP, so sad. Everyone is here for you OP. Not sure what else to say, just awful. Hope others affected can handle this as best as anyone could.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss brother. You know there’s plenty of support here. You can reach out to anyone on this thread.

2 Likes

Rest in peace :frowning:

1 Like

RIP K.S.

You’re a good man Mr.B. sorry for your loss

1 Like

RIP

Keep your eyes open for anyone else in his class that might be on edge. Frequently one suicide can lead to one or two more. Best of luck to you.

4 Likes