Wi. Senate Sends Right-To-Work Bill To Assembly

MADISON (WKOW) -- The state Senate passed the right-to-work bill just before 10 p.m. Wednesday, sending it to the state Assembly for a vote next week.

As expected, Republicans passed right-to-work legislation with 17 votes. Only Sen. Jerry Petrowski (R-Marathon) joined the Democrats in voting against it.

Republican Senate leaders say they won't pass a more important bill this session.

Democrats offered seven amendments to the bill - one of which would have delayed implementation of it for 90 days after it is published.

Senate majority leader Scott Fitzgerald admitted he and other Republican leaders considered that, but feel the Assembly or governor could add that language later.

After eight hours of debate, the final vote was met with outrage from opponents in the gallery, many of whom chanted "Shame" after the vote was counted.

Most Democrats used their closing remarks to talk about how they believe right-to-work is being used as a smokescreen to take the focus off of what they call a "troubling" budget proposal from Governor Scott Walker.

The state Assembly will hold its own public hearing on right-to-work next week and is expected to vote on it next Thursday, March 5. It is expected to pass overwhelmingly there.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The Wisconsin state Senate has passed a fast-tracked right-to-work bill with no Democratic support.The measure now heads to the state Assembly, which plans to take it up next week. Gov. Scott Walker has said he will sign it into law.

The 17-15 vote Wednesday came after nearly eight hours of debate. Democrats argue right-to-work would be bad for workers, wasn't wanted by businesses and would hurt the state's economy.

Republican supporters say it will give workers the freedom to decide whether to pay union dues and will attract more business to the state.

All Republicans voted for the measure except Sen. Jerry Petrowski, of Marathon. He says he's not convinced it will be beneficial.

Several people were removed from the galleries for disrupting the debate throughout the day.

So what exactly is this right-to-work bill? Phone Post 3.0

tonyromosbackspasm - So what exactly is this right-to-work bill? Phone Post 3.0

People cant be forced to join a union to work somewhere.

Its nice because unions are politically active so in the past it was sort of like forcing someone to contribute to the democratic party to get a job somewhere.

A "right-to-work" law is a statute in the United States that prohibits union security agreements, or agreements between labor unions and employers, that govern the extent to which an established union can require employees' membership, payment of union dues, or fees as a condition of employment.

Brockback Mountain -
tonyromosbackspasm - So what exactly is this right-to-work bill? Phone Post 3.0

People cant be forced to join a union to work somewhere.

Its nice because unions are politically active so in the past it was sort of like forcing someone to contribute to the democratic party to get a job somewhere.
Ah that's awesome. I'm for this.

We have unions going on strike here in Texas actually they're probably all over it's the USW. But they basically control the oil refineries, and they're all on strike right now. Phone Post 3.0

I am for "right to work" for governmental jobs.

I guess i dont care if a union can make an private employer sign an exclusive contract with them.

Right to work is more about giving the employee freedom. In the current setup Union membership is usually mandatory or at least the dues portion. Even if a person doesn't want to be part of a union the dues are still deducted. With right to work a person can opt to not be part of the Union and not have dues taken from their paycheck. The good unions will keep there members because it will still be beneficial to the employee and the bad unions won't be able to steal a portion of people's paychecks any longer. Phone Post

I bet people were going apeshit in the capitol yesterday.

Where the hell is Rufus to give us Play By Play?

Hired Gun - I bet people were going apeshit in the capitol yesterday.

Where the hell is Rufus to give us Play By Play?

!!!!!