Will a 7.62x39 upper work with a 5.56 lower?

Tell me everything

For research purposes only

you running a boomer scope or what?

oranos -

you running a boomer scope or what?

Im sorry - not following you

I don't know that much about em. But I'm gonna say no.

I am wrong on a regular basis though.

1 Like

JThomasufc91 -

I am wrong on a regular basis though.

I'm in good company then

Yes. 

1 Like

TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Yes. 

It would require a different bolt and magazines?

Is there a reason you want to go that direction?  Most ar/AK combinations have magazine/feeding reliability issues.  PSA makes a KS-47 that uses legit AK magazines and seems to have a better reputation for reliability.

jscorbett -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Yes. 

I don’t think it needs a needs a new bolt. I know the mags will work, but because of the different case it’s not super efficient and doesn’t feed reliably. But it can work. 

jerrad -

Is there a reason you want to go that direction?  Most ar/AK combinations have magazine/feeding reliability issues.  PSA makes a KS-47 that uses legit AK magazines and seems to have a better reputation for reliability.

Because you can actually find the ammo right now for cheap. I’m thinking about building mine in AK caliber because of it. 

1 Like

How would that even work?

you'd have to have a 7.62 round fit into a 5.56 mag, or some sort of feeding device that was top feeding

you'd also have to get a buffer and spring for the 7.62

TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
jscorbett -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Yes. 

I don’t think it needs a needs a new bolt. I know the mags will work, but because of the different case it’s not super efficient and doesn’t feed reliably. But it can work. 

you need a 7.62 bolt

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
jscorbett -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Yes. 

you need a 7.62 bolt

You’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking. 

Just go buy an Arsenal SAM7R and be done with it.

Then go bust up some cinder block to break it in.

jerrad -

except for the whole 'its NOT are 5.56 lower. its a purpose built lower

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
jerrad -

except for the whole 'its NOT are 5.56 lower. its a purpose built lower

That's kind of my point. The dedicated lower has a better track record of reliability.  

TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
jerrad -

Because you can actually find the ammo right now for cheap. I’m thinking about building mine in AK caliber because of it. 

I meant the direction of using an AR lower in 7.62x39, not why use that caliber.

I just picked up a ks47 (psa's ar/ak bastard child that uses an AR upper with a dedicated AK lower that uses AK magazines) 

you mean like this one?

7.62x39 has some feed/reliability issues in the AR platform. 300 BLK has better ballistics than the x39 and just needs a different barrel or upper. Same bcg as 5.56