Will Cain tap at UFC 108?

NOGUEIRA VS. VELASQUEZ NOW SET FOR UFC 108

Monday, November 09, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Nog-v-Cain.jpg

A heavyweight showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez has been confirmed for UFC 108 in Las Vegas.

The possibility of the bout arose last week when Nogueira’s manager talked about the fight to SportTV. MMAWeekly.com has since been able to confirm the bout with multiple sources, who say it will happen on Jan. 2.

After losing the interim UFC heavyweight title to Frank Mir at UFC 92, Nogueira (32-5-1) returned with an impressive victory over UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture at UFC 102 in August. The win immediately put his name back in the hat of contenders to the belt currently held by Brock Lesnar.

Velasquez (7-0) is coming off a dominating TKO stoppage of Ben Rothwell at UFC 104. Three years into the sport, Velasquez has made a quick rise to the top of the heavyweight division with five of his victories taking place in the Octagon and only one having gone to a decision.

Most felt that in his next bout Velasquez would face the winner of the title fight between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. But when that fight was bumped off of the UFC 106 fight card, and a subsequent attempt to reschedule it for UFC 108 was derailed due to Lesnar suffering from a case of mononucleosis, it became apparent that Velasquez would have to wait too long for that fight to play out.

With much of the top tier of the UFC’s roster already booked or on injured reserve, the promotion needed a high profile fight for its New Year’s event. It hasn’t yet been confirmed, but it is likely that Nogueira versus Velasquez will headline UFC 108 or at least attain co-main event status with the winner likely getting a shot at the winner of Lesnar and Carwin once that fight plays out.

UFC 108 also features a light heavyweight battle between Top 10 ranked fighters Rashad Evans, who is coming off of a stint as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights,” and Brazilian striker Thiago Silva.

Yep.
1st

no

I abseloutely Love Nog but cain will put a bad beating on him...Nog might be 33 but in fight years he is much much older....those Fedore fights took the best he had out of him...

come on nog!

Minotauro via TKO in 2nd Round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cain is going to wreck Nog I'm afraid. And I'm a huge Nog fan.. But he won't be able to deal with Velasquez's speed.

cain will tap

Cain will take Nog down at will.

Keeping him there will be the real test though.

Nog is dangerous off his back, Cain better be working JJ defense his whole camp or Nog will make it an early night.

Cain can take an easy UD if he sticks to a GnP gameplan.

Jetster - I abseloutely Love Nog but cain will put a bad beating on him...Nog might be 33 but in fight years he is much much older....those Fedore fights took the best he had out of him...

Cain doesn't have the power to beat a healthy Noguiera, IMO. His best years may be behind him, but I believe he will take the best Velasquez has to offer & end up subbing him.

Cain by UD. Cain is faster and a cardio machine. He comes into the 3rd round looking like the fight has just started. I would not be surprised if nog did sub him off his back. Very good fight I cannot wait.

CRE - No, he will go to sleep instead. 

great, Cain wins again.

I think Nog is a bit too much for Cain at this point in Cain's fighting career.

Nog by triangle choke in round 2.

I like Cain and I am kind of afraid he will put a beating on Nog, but I certainly hope Nog subs him.

I take Nog for this one.  I like how Nog fought Randy last time out I think he takes this one. 

if he does not catch nog with a punch...yes..he is too aggressive on the ground for nog

Herring In A Fur Coat -  One Nog is fighting Cain, while the other is fighting Cane.  Oh the confusion!

Also Vera/Couture (Male) & Vera/"Couture" (Female).  I wonder if it's symbolic?  A message from the Mayans perhaps.