Will Conor's Earning Power Attract Elite Athletes?

Conor's ability to generate so much money may well be the catalyst for attracting other top athletes to MMA.

Previously viewed as a fringe sport, this weekends event could well drive new talent towards the sport. 

Never before have we seen so much attention on MMA, hopefully this paves the way for MMA fighters to share in the combat sport spoils.

How must this all make Jon Jones feel? He was on the cusp of a super fight with Stipe and had he won that, who knows? A cross over to Boxing? We may never know. 

So many lessons from the past week or so...

http://Conor McGregor to overtake Cristiano Ronaldo in Forbes rich list http://dailym.ai/2wFwgB7

In that case it should draw people to boxing and not mma where the athletes make peanuts.

Smellde Gluve -

In that case it should draw people to boxing and not mma where the athletes make peanuts.

...or they view MMA as the route to future riches. Name me other 'Boxers' earning what Conor earns. 

Conor didn't earn his shot at Mayweather through boxing meritocracy. 

elite athletes already are in mma.

U dumb americans think u have to do a team sport to be a athlete, and especially the roided atheltes in nfl or nba?? thats a missconception ONLY americans share. Because you are the most bias people on earth. NFL athletes would SUCK at mma considering their base, they have ZERO cardio, they can do all the steroids they want since a early age, all they do is run and crash..

There are WAAAY more wellrounded athletes in several other sports that would do much better in mma than them. And they would have to quit the insane amount of steroids they do, just like strongmen athletes.

chuckechan -

U dumb americans think u have to do a team sport to be a athlete, and especially the roided atheltes in nfl or nba?? thats a missconception ONLY americans share. Because you are the most bias people on earth. NFL athletes would SUCK at mma considering their base, they have ZERO cardio, they can do all the steroids they want since a early age, all they do is run and crash..

There are WAAAY more wellrounded athletes in several other sports that would do much better in mma than them. And they would have to quit the insane amount of steroids they do, just like strongmen athletes.

I'm the from the UK.

Also, you have completely missed the point. 

Disastrous post. 

chuckechan -

Welcome back thaiguy
Boner McGregor -
chuckechan -

I'm the from the UK.

Disastrous post. 

Zing!!!
Boner McGregor -
Smellde Gluve -

...or they view MMA as the route to future riches. Name me other 'Boxers' earning what Conor earns. 

Top athletes are probably seeing themselves at the top and not on the undercard.

And Conor is a once in a ever when it comes to self promotion.

He could have come from MCDonald's.

notsobigmike -
Smellde Gluve -

Half the fighters on the  undercard made less than the UFC minimum.  Discounting the headliners, none of those guys were making salaries beyond UFC-level pay.

It's great for the guys at the very top, but is shit for everyone else.  Let's not do anything more to push the UFC towards the boxing model (which, IMO they are already too far down the spectrum).

Top athletes are probably seeing themselves at the top and not on the undercard.

Boner McGregor - 
chuckechan -

I'm the from the UK.

Disastrous post. 

brutal

Boner McGregor - 
Smellde Gluve -

Off the top of my head Anthony Joshua earnt around the same as Connor for his fight against Wladimir. And Gluve makes a good point, Connor earnt many times more in a single boxing fight than he did in all of his MMA fights combined.

chuckechan -

Dumb Americans? We run the fucking world you dumb fuck. You can suck my big old red white and blue dick you faggot. 

I dare your punk ass to come over to the USA and start calling people dumb Americans. They'll put their dumb American boot up your punk ass. 

I’ll try to find the interview for you

HULC -
Boner McGregor - 
Smellde Gluve -

Off the top of my head Anthony Joshua earnt around the same as Connor for his fight against Wladimir. And Gluve makes a good point, Connor earnt many times more in a single boxing fight than he did in all of his MMA fights combined.

Joshua earned £15million.

Boner McGregor - 
HULC -
Boner McGregor - 
Smellde Gluve -

Joshua earned £15million.

Just looked it up and you’re right, not sure where i heard the other figures from.

HULC -
Boner McGregor - 
Smellde Gluve -

I like you.

Smellde Gluve -
HULC -
Boner McGregor - 
Smellde Gluve -

I like you.

It was his MMA career that led him to that path. I doubt he’d have got there had he pursued Boxing from the start.  

MR31 -
NBKfanforlife -
chuckechan -

Dumb Americans? We run the fucking world you dumb fuck. You can suck my big old red white and blue dick you faggot. 

I dare your punk ass to come over to the USA and start calling people dumb Americans. They'll put their dumb American boot up your punk ass. 

USA! USA! USA!

Got Damned right motherfucker and we fuck shit up.  

NBKfanforlife -
chuckechan -

I always knew Toby Keith was a UG'er.

Maybe a little but mma is a start from young age sport. Not a lot of former athletes can start to 20-25 and make. You need a base that take years and years to build.

Elite athletes are generally have parents with money. Look at basketball and the aau leagues. So much time and money. Same with hockey and many other sports. Not a lot of rich people are going to push their kids in a sport that success is very limited and negatives are so large