Will Cyberpunk 2077 fulfill the hype?

Witcher 3 was obviously a triumph of modern gaming, but are they biting off more than they can chew with 2077? Some people are saying it’s going to be great, others are worried and skeptical. What say you og? 

CD Projekt Red took their time with this and as independent as a AAA studio gets these days. 

They deserve the benefit of the doubt. They aren't EA FFS. 

2 Likes

I hope it's great.  

Could use some good news all things considered.

It's already done, they postponed it to rigorously test and polish it.  They aren't rushing a single part of it.

It's going to be good.

I feel pretty certain that it's gonna be good, but in spite of the delay I would still expect a lot of bugs straight out of the gate.

Tomato Can - I feel pretty certain that it's gonna be good, but in spite of the delay I would still expect a lot of bugs straight out of the gate.

Simple fact of video games: The more you can do in a game, the more bugs.

And looks like you can do a ton of cool shit in this one.

As long as they aren't gamebreaking (corrupted save data, progression breaks, etc), they'll be forgiven as long as the rest of the game experience is good.

I mean I play most games 2-3 years after they come out so all the bugs have been ironed out and I don't necessarily need a state of the art system. So I look forward to playing this in 2023.

Main concern is multi platform launch. Sucks they build around console specs now. If it had been built from the ground up as a PC exclusive they good really do some crazy shit.

Very excited regardless.

It's next gen only, right?

Well consoles are now basically AMD PCs on an X86-64 architecture. Last gen made cross platform development easier than ever. 

PatK - 

It's next gen only, right?

It's being released on current gen systems. PS4 and XB1.

Meohfumado - 
Tomato Can - I feel pretty certain that it's gonna be good, but in spite of the delay I would still expect a lot of bugs straight out of the gate.

As long as they aren't gamebreaking (corrupted save data, progression breaks, etc), they'll be forgiven as long as the rest of the game experience is good.

"Simple fact of video games: The more you can do in a game, the more bugs."

This is only true if testing is the same for a game with less features, as one with more; i.e., if you scale testing accordingly, this isn't necessarily or even likely true.

I hope so, but I don't keep my hopes up anymore, now that most companies went to "early access" claims. I get that this is a full release, but the level of quality on release went to shit in the industry year ago when consumer expectations were lowered.

Hope so. I haven't really enjoyed a story based game since Hellblade.

This game will hopefully push Bethesda to make a proper game. I have little doubt this will be a great game even if you do not enjoy the genre.

Ministry of Truth -
Meohfumado - 

"Simple fact of video games: The more you can do in a game, the more bugs."

This is only true if testing is the same for a game with less features, as one with more; i.e., if you scale testing accordingly, this isn't necessarily or even likely true.

The financial reality of the industry unfortunately means that testing never scales in proper proportion to the features.   

But even if it does, just finding a bug isn't necessarily the same as being able to fix it.  The games people tout as being the cleanest they've ever played still have databases with thousands of bugs marked "will not fix."

It'll get pushed back probably again cause of the virus. 

I'd bet money on it

I just finished The Witcher 3 for the second time. I started just after New Years. 226 hours to do everything I could in the game save for a few missing gwent cards. The 2 DLCs were probably the best value and quality of any DLC released. The 4k update and the sheer scope of the game allows it to hold up perfectly nearly 5 years after release. The faithfulness to the source material and the effort that went into crafting the story and characters blew me away. I actually gave a shit about the game world and its inhabitants for the first time ever in a game. I went and read the books, and thoroughly enjoyed them. It allowed me to understand and enjoy the Netflix show.

The game isn't perfect, but the sheer scope of it means there will always be minor mistakes and bugs. It's damn close to perfection, though.

Cliffs: The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece, and is in my personal top 5 all time. Maybe even number 1. It set a very high bar for any game, so I'll brace myself for a bit of disappointment. I do expect it to be another Game of the Year candidate, though.

after witcher 3, they got all my future money no matter what they came out with.

They can do no wrong. I'm not silly enough to pre-order but i will definitely buy this game first day its out.

A couple of info tidbits I've read so far:

There will be no genders in the character creation. Supposedly you can mix and match traits from men and women to create the character you "identify" as. Hopefully that's the limit of the SJW bullshit. I do look forward to making a hulk of a man with the smooth, sultry voice of a phone sex operator, though.

It's being developed solely for current-gen consoles at this time. An update for PS5/XboxX will come later. Normally I'd be disappointed, but CDPR did an outstanding job with the 4K/1080p Performance mode update, so I expect to be eventually be able to play it on next gen and be impressed. 

Speaking of the current gen/next gen dilemma, CDPR has said there won't be a need to buy it on both generations, a la Skyrim. Buy it when you want to, on current gen, and you'll be able to download the next gen version at no charge when it's ready. No charge.

Keanu Reeves enjoyed the voice work so much, he asked for an even larger and more expanded role.