Will folks be out of work when 3D printers improve

^^Overthinking; I'm on the side of Moore's Law & I brought up books once. Relax, Francis.

There are printers that can make metal parts but they are all out of most consumer's price range.

Its called 'laser sintering'. Basically you take powerdered metal and hit it with a laser that fuses the powder together. Its very accurate but sintered metal is not as strong as conventional machined parts.

They have also printed in rubber/flexible plastic/wax

Some interesting methods of doing stuff out there. I pledged to this Kickstarter which looks pretty neat...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc

Plastic dildos my friends the future is in plastic dildos Phone Post

I want one soooo bad! Phone Post

In Phone Post

Man, I hope so. Who'd pay those suckers if they could all just have 3D printers! Heehaw! Phone Post

BarkLikeADog - ^^Overthinking; I'm on the side of Moore's Law & I brought up books once. Relax, Francis.

You just made my list!

The first big company to phase out the manufacturing sector will be Lego. That's my guess. Also when you take out the transportation and distribution costs I think 3D printing starts to become a really viable alternative.

This could improve or destroy peoples lives.

As someone who works in manufacturing and uses a 3D printer, all I can say is that these threads show that there is a powerful lack of knowledge of both processes.

An LOL@ applying Moore's law to this.

3D printing has been around since the 70s.

Moore's Law as an absolute, yeah sure it doesn't map out precisely, but as a shorthand to convey "bigger/better/faster/more over time" I think was sufficient.

i.e. why "it's just plastic" is a lousy argument.

PatK - As someone who works in manufacturing and uses a 3D printer, all I can say is that these threads show that there is a powerful lack of knowledge of both processes.

What printers is your company using?

Barbasol OOTFFTT - Doesn't 3D printers make everything out of plastic?

Who wants a plastic wrench? Phone Post 3.0

I was thinking the same.

Sliss_77 - 
PatK - As someone who works in manufacturing and uses a 3D printer, all I can say is that these threads show that there is a powerful lack of knowledge of both processes.

What printers is your company using?

We're using a Stratasys Dimension sst 1200es

another thing people don't realize, to build something big, you would need a fucking massive machine.

Our machine is about the size of a refrigerator and the max size we can print is 10"x10"x12"

Well right now, for my company to print a small model it takes days to complete and we have one of the fastest most advanced commercial 3D printers.

G-S-D - Well right now, for my company to print a small model it takes days to complete and we have one of the fastest most advanced commercial 3D printers.

That's another thing- time.

I made an Iphone case for someone, and it took about 4 hours to print.

"to build something big, you would need a fucking massive machine."

Batteries not included & some assembly required.

What if 3D printers learn how to make other 3D printers?

HST - The first big company to phase out the manufacturing sector will be Lego. That's my guess. Also when you take out the transportation and distribution costs I think 3D printing starts to become a really viable alternative.

Actually, making Lego is a precision endevour close to putting a man on the moon or making the first atomic bomb.

I read a piece on it a while back, and the reason there aren't many good enough knock offs is that they just can't hack it.

Them Danes are a crafty bunch!

Yes, there will be a lot of folks out of work in the next decade due to things like self-driving cars, 3d printers, improved AI. Things will get ugly, we should take this opportunity to educate those willing to be educated, and purge the useless leeches we have in society.