Will I be forgiven??

If I kill during war time?? What are the views from the different religions out there??

Off-hand, I can't think of any religion which would condemn you for legitimate killing during wartime.

You’re in Iraq, right? If this issue is something which is causing you concern, you might want to talk to your chaplain about it.

BTW, good luck. It must suck being out there during Christmas, but I'm sure most of us appreciate it.

IF you kill during the time of war you are doing your duty as a solider. This is not something you need to be "forgiven" of. There are allowances for this within christianity, it recognizes that while war is not good, it is reality, and people involved with it may in fact unfortunately be christians.

I appreciate the support from you guys!! the forum is home away from home!! Thank You and Merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year!!

God Speed!!

Bro, you have to do what your conscience leads you to do. I personally couldn't do it, but I would not put that on you.

the rev

That those engaged in warfare shall not fear their enemies nor be panic-stricken by them during battle (Deut. 3:22, 7:21, 20:3) (negative).
To anoint a special kohein (to speak to the soldiers) in a war (Deut. 20:2) (affirmative). . See Kohein.
In a permissive war (as distinguished from obligatory ones), to observe the procedure prescribed in the Torah (Deut. 20:10) (affirmative).
Not to keep alive any individual of the seven Canaanite nations (Deut. 20:16) (negative).
To exterminate the seven Canaanite nations from the land of Israel (Deut. 20:17) (affirmative).
Not to destroy fruit trees (wantonly or in warfare) (Deut. 20:19-20) (CCN191).
To deal with a beautiful woman taken captive in war in the manner prescribed in the Torah (Deut. 21:10-14) (affirmative).
Not to sell a beautiful woman, (taken captive in war) (Deut. 21:14) (negative).
Not to degrade a beautiful woman (taken captive in war) to the condition of a bondwoman (Deut. 21:14) (negative).
Not to offer peace to the Ammonites and the Moabites before waging war on them, as should be done to other nations (Deut. 23:7) (negative).
That anyone who is unclean shall not enter the Camp of the Levites (Deut. 23:11) (according to the Talmud, in the present day this means the Temple mount) (CCN193).
To have a place outside the camp for sanitary purposes (Deut. 23:13) (affirmative).
To keep that place sanitary (Deut. 23:14-15) (affirmative).
Always to remember what Amalek did (Deut. 25:17) (CCA76).
That the evil done to us by Amalek shall not be forgotten (Deut. 25:19) (CCN194).
To destroy the seed of Amalek (Deut. 25:19) (CCA77).

basicly what the Rev said. It´s up to your own counsciousness.

regarding forgivness, I´m convinced that you are already forgiven (for whatever you want to do). Because to forgive is all God can and will do. He loves each and one of us, exactly like we are. He sees the perfection in our imperfection.

This however, doesn´t mean that what you do, will be without consequences. There will be. Don´t forget Jesus words as he said:"Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

So, it´s your future, choose wisely.

I agree with the Rev and FudoMyoo.Pray about it-alot.Be strong in the Lord and be open to His guidance.

There are some strict pacifists in the Christian World....namely Mennonites.The Mennonites would inclue all the annabaptist groups (not including Baptist);Beechy Mennonites,Liberal Mennonites,Brethern Churches,the Amish,etc.I think that Quakers are also conscientious objectors.

God bless

War is spoken of in the Bible more than love, where is St. Kolbe and what does he have to say about the Catholic doctrine about war??

Not only that but who will protect our freedom if is not our soldiers?

Certainly if one of you is attacked, wouldn't you defend yourselves?

If your mother or daughter,sister or a loved one is attacked would't you do anything about it?

Our family members were attacked!!

We are defending ourselves, I'm sure God will forgive me for that!!

MS, nice answer!!!ttt

Under the right circumstances, we would all kill. A just war, though open to subjectivity, is one of those circumstances. We don't need to hate our enemy, we need to pray for them, but at the same time, we can't allow them to walk all over us or our loved ones. So, I'm all for defending our country and even acting in pre-emption if need be.

Puzzled

Puzzled, have been thinking of you lateley, how have you been?

the rev

C.S. Lewis, who served in WWI, wrote these words:

"Does loving your enemy meant not punishing him? No, for loving myself does not mean that I ought not to subject myself to punishment - even to death. If one had committed a murder, the right Christian thing to do would be to give yourself up to the police and be hanged. It is, therefore, in my opinion, perfectly right for a Christian judge to sentence a man to death or a Christian soldier to kill an enemy. I always have thought so, ever since I became a Christian, and long before the war, and I still think so now that we are at peace.

It is no good quoting "Thou shalt not kill." There are two Greek words: the ordinary word "to kill" and the word "to murder".  And when Christ quotes that commandment He uses the "murder" one in all three accounts, Mathew, Mark, and Luke.  And I am told there is the same distinction in Hebrew.  All killing is not murder any more than all sexual intercourse is adultery.  When soldiers came to St. John the Baptist asking what to do, he never remotely suggested that they ought to leave the army: nor did Christ when He met a Roman sergeant-major--what they called a centurion.

....We may kill if necessary, but we must not HATE and enjoy it."

If you're in a hostile situation and don't act, your teammates are in grave danger. They are relying on you to keep them safe, look where they can't, and make sure you all come home to your families.

Seriously (and I'm prior military with a lot of good friends in Iraq), if you don't think you can do your job because of religious conviction, you need to get out of there NOW. You're putting your friends and teammates in serious danger.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. My last duty station was with Navy SEALs and we would launch them from nuclear submarines off the coast of North Korea for "training". Every now and then someone would NOT do something and in our after action report they would eventually express concern about getting captured by North Koreans. Their inaction would cause either myself or someone else to take on a role that we had not prepared for and, ultimately, risked our safety (and the mission).

Not cool at all brother. Considering we all had family/kids, we weren't very understanding when the religious conviction that threatened our ability to go home to our loved ones came out.

If you're seriously concerned about the Lord's forgiveness in your situation, and this concern could possibly lead to your inaction in a time of urgency...I suggest you get out of the military as soon as possible. You have GOT to know that God is behind you and that you will do nothing that demands His forgiveness.

Failure to have this conviction will only jeapordize you and all those around you.

Pray and be strong brother, I wish you a safe return.

SCRAP

Scrapper, don't get me wrong!! I just wanted opinions about different religious beliefs!! I will do what it takes to bring my warriors back home including giving my life!!
Just to see where everyone stood on this point!!

I'm 100% Sure tthat God had forgiven me even before it happens!!!

But thank you anyway!!