Will Judo & BJJ combine?

With more BJJ schools bringing in Judo instructors and vice versa will there come a day when these two arts combine? I know for competition they will stay separate. I can see the more sport BJJ schools doing this but not the Gracie SD schools.

we have both. taught separately but w/ live sparring anything goes.

the rules of sport judo are diverging more and more from those of bjj (and arguably reality)

I feel that judo for bjj will evolve further

Tarado Safado - 

the rules of sport judo are diverging more and more from those of bjj (and arguably reality)

I feel that judo for bjj will evolve further

I agree Judo taking out leg attacks(doubles, Single, heel picks) hurt themselves for combat effectiveness. They said it was to further separate themselves from wrestling with the Olympic problems a couple years back.

I teach both and have never taken out anything from either. All leg locks, cranks spine locks etc are taught. I do however note what is and isn't comp legal Phone Post 3.0

Nah, they don't really go together. Completely different leverage points.

Judo is an inmensely larger sport when compared to BJJ.  I doubt we'd ever see anything remotely resembling a merger.

And as far as distancing itself from combat effectiveness....seriously... take a look at the state of BJJ these days and a lot of the IBJJF rules.   We're doing a fine job ourselves from anything resembling a combat art.

With online trained and promoted geeks training moves with non-resisting opponents, Gracie SD is pretty much merged with Aikido.

Probably not. Both are different sports with different rules. And as SlapUsilly mentioned, Judo is way more popular world wide.

Idk, there was a freestyle judo tournament here a few months back, I didnt go, but I believe leg attacks and ground work was all ok. Phone Post

Years ago I did a newaza tournament that was sponsored by "Judo America".

It was basically BJJ rules, except you started on your knees and a 30-second pin counted as a submission. The competitors were both BJJ & judo guys. About a 60/40  ration of judo to BJJ. I thought it was a nice effort to get BJJ & Judo players to play under one set of rules.

Its weird you've got more gyms open minded to cross training and I for one am embarrassed for coloured belts with no standup. But on the competition stage the two sports have never looked so different. Phone Post 3.0

It's the difference between grassroots and high level competition.

As it stands, you can do more Judo in a BJJ comp than you can in a judo comp.

I teach judo at a BJJ place...and I teach leg grabs, pick ups the whole nine yards. Because why the fuck not? It's judo...and I don't want to forget those techniques.

BTW: Freestyle judo has the right idea - judo under old rules, no gi category and "newaza" category.

I'm hopeful that on a grassroots level, judo and BJJ keep working together like they are.

We have a judo instructor at our gym. He came because he quote "wanted to be able to do judo"

I have been daydreaming about a hybrid ruleset for some time. It would be awesome to see tournaments where the main skillsets of both arts could be used. Not sure how easy it would be in practice though. Something I was thinking about was that you could win by an ippon throw, but the throw had to be really clean and you would have to end up on top. I see a lot of judo throws where the loosing person would end up in a dominant position, clearly that would not be a win under such a hybrid ruleset. Pulling guard would have to be a foul, or at least penalized somehow. One more thing that may work, there would of course not be any victory by osaekomi, but instead ow winning, the one doing the osaekomi could choose to restart standing, i.e. benefiting the judo guy.

Good hybrid ruleset already exist. For example, Gerald Lafton wrote a nice article outlining double ippon to win (eg: must score ippon twice, osakomi only counts for points etc). I can't find the article just now but it's on his blog here

http://betterjudo.com/

EDIT: Not this one, but maybe in same catagory

http://betterjudo.com/the-case-against-terminal-ippon/

TEOMOFE - Good hybrid ruleset already exist. For example, Gerald Lafton wrote a nice article outlining double ippon to win (eg: must score ippon twice, osakomi only counts for points etc). I can't find the article just now but it's on his blog here

Looks like a very nice blog. Added to my feed. Without reading more about that specific ruleset, what if you score two traditional ippon but end up in bottom sidemount?

Anyway, I was only thinking out loud. It would be super awesome to see some of the best from bjj clash with some of the best from judo. Not likely to happen, and probably impossible to agree on rules that makes both camps happy.

@ my intructors old school they had a dedicated judo class. the instructor was on the Cuban national team. despite being solely a bjj school we have pretty good takedowns. we train takedowns every class, and I have yet to see him show how to pull guard from standing after 10 years.

One ruleset that I quite like:

Round based.
3 x 2 minute rounds

Must win 2 out of 3 round (either on points or outright ippon)

Scores:
Ippon (10 points)
Wazari (7 points)
Yuko (4 points)

Ippon:
-Throw uke forcefully onto back, remain standing.
-Submission
-Win point spread in any round (15 point mercy rule)

Hold-down for 30 second (4 points; match continues after 30 seconds but no more points)
Passing guard and obtaining dominant position (4 points)
Reversals (4 points)
Less than ippon worthy throw (7 or 4 points)

Penalty infringements
Mostly for stupid / dangerous shit or passivity
Zero points lost for unorthodox gripping or leg / belt grabs

Introduce newaza only category of tournament too

Got something like that from Gerald's site; seems like a good ruleset

foreverwhitebelt - 
TEOMOFE - Good hybrid ruleset already exist. For example, Gerald Lafton wrote a nice article outlining double ippon to win (eg: must score ippon twice, osakomi only counts for points etc). I can't find the article just now but it's on his blog here

Looks like a very nice blog. Added to my feed. Without reading more about that specific ruleset, what if you score two traditional ippon but end up in bottom sidemount?

Anyway, I was only thinking out loud. It would be super awesome to see some of the best from bjj clash with some of the best from judo. Not likely to happen, and probably impossible to agree on rules that makes both camps happy.

Ippon under these rules = throw him onto his back, remain standing, similar to sambo.

In the instance you mention, A might score 7 points....and then concede 4 points (get pinned). Worse yet...he could then go on to be submitted - oops - just lost another 10 points :) Now you have 1 minute left in the round to make that up....

A: 7 point throw
B: 4 point pin + 10 point submission = 14 points

In this instance, B would only need to get another 8 points (in that round) to win outright. Literally a minute to win it.