Will Judo bring back leg attacks?

Outkaster -

Like a lot of martial arts it’s suffers from bad marketing and bad business decisions. This is my 40th year in the Martial Arts.  From my time in Judo which is not as long as some of you, it seems it’s a lot of a commitment to make. We have guys try out Judo at our club, people never stay.  We have striking and no-GI classes and they always take to that. It’s because it’s easier to learn. Judo is an incredible commitment and hard on the body. You can’t fake it either.  Most people are too lazy to deal with that. I know because I come from a striking back ground. It’s a totally different workout.  Apples and oranges in comparison to each other. 

46 years for me, judo was much more popular when i was a pup. Now it's dead in the states, ready for an autopsy. It's a shame because a lot of people could use what judo and wrestling could give them. They'll just go to a bjj gym instead

Outcaster- You are spot on.  The commitment part is huge.  Not only training 2/3 times a week but lifting weights/running to supplement the sport.  Going to seminars, competitions, watching tons of Olympic level judo footage, stretching/yoga routines, chiropractic care, rehab injuries.  It is a total mindset.  I also did BJJ for 8 years.  At the time all of us were blue belts and 1 purple belt.  Today they are all blackbelts.  That is why after 21 years I had to give it.  My body and mind needed a break. Took my body  around 3 years to completely heal.  Acupuncture was a huge part of this.  I have more time mentally to do other things.  I miss it all the time but I don't miss the committment that goes with it.  I stay in touch with my club and grappling friends.  Practice my footwork/throws simulation all the time.  Watch IJF level judo video all the time.

I hope so because I train sambo and I have many set ups and variation for my leg locks.

I guess it's still up in the air, I haven't heard much if anything about rule changes?

Outkaster -

I guess it's still up in the air, I haven't heard much if anything about rule changes?

There is nothing up in the air. Judo is massively popular and they don't want to risk going backwards by reintroducing leg attacks that could potentially lead them back to a less TV friendly version of judo

Massively popular?  Not in the states it isn't.  It's not neccesarily going backwards either.  I have been to dojos in three different states and everyone hates the leg attack rule.  It screwed up a lot of people's game.

Outkaster -

Massively popular?  Not in the states it isn't.  It's not neccesarily going backwards either.  I have been to dojos in three different states and everyone hates the leg attack rule.  It screwed up a lot of people's game.

The world is bigger than the United States of America, get on a plane and see for yourself. Judo's popularity in the US has more to do with US Judo then the IJF. Also, our grappling and sports culture and the fact that most judo dojos are run part time and not for profit. If Jiu-Jitsu clubs only offered classes Tues and Thursday and used a karate schools mat space would you blame it's lack of popularity on the IBJJF?

i see you edited your most popular in the world statement, i'm pretty sure that honorific belongs to tkd anyway. So good on you, triple stealth edit. make no mistake, bjj will overtake judo on a worlwide scale in time, and trips will slowly circle the drain of history

de braco -

i see you edited your most popular in the world statement, i'm pretty sure that honorific belongs to tkd anyway. So good on you, triple stealth edit. make no mistake, bjj will overtake judo on a worlwide scale in time, and trips will slowly circle the drain of history

Actually your wrong, judo is in fact the most popular martial art in the world. I edited my post because he was talking about the US, so I wanted to give him a detailed answer that focused more on what he was actually talking about.

BJJ is not going to get anywhere close to overtaking judo in our life time for a variety of reasons:

1. There is an IOC recognized combat sport named Jujitsu. It's pretty cool kind of like a mix of kickboxing and judo, mostly practiced in Europe. They aren't going to recognize another one with a similar name.

2. Outside of Brazil and the US, no other countries are consistently producing top players. It is also not popular in many countries where judo is.

3. The IBJJF is a for profit organization that only holds it's most prestigious events in America because we can afford to pay their fees.

4. Jiu jitsu is not exactly unified and working towards a common goal and many people despise the IBJJF, but participate because winning there gives them arguably the most prestigious titles in the sport. No Gi, Sub Only, Pro shows, etc. will continue to grow in popularity.

5. The style of submission grappling that probably has the best chance of getting into the Olympics due to some things happening behind the scenes and the fact that it has athletes representing more countries than jiu-jitsu is Grappling which is run by UWW and a little different than most typical Jiu-Jitsu rule sets. There are many different restart positions on the ground if the action goes out of bounds for example and your opponent gets takedown points if you pull guard without an immediate attack, among other things.

6. Jiu-Jitsu is fun to practice, but boring to watch and very difficult to understand for the average person.

It is pretty obvious that you don't actually watch judo if you think "trips" are overly dominate now. Plenty of people win with Uchi Mata, Seoi Nage and other classic throws that don't involve "tripping" your opponent with your legs. All you have to do is go on IJF's YouTube channel and watch highlight videos of ippons from a recent tournament. 

i'm well aware of the jiu-jitsu recognized by the IOC,  France is one of the powerhouses and some of those tournaments are actually televised there, BJJ like judo is painful to watch for the uniniated, but it is easier, which is why it will eventually surpass judo, i believe tkd has it over judo worldwide, again because it's easier.

de braco -

i'm well aware of the jiu-jitsu recognized by the IOC,  France is one of the powerhouses and some of those tournaments are actually televised there, BJJ like judo is painful to watch for the uniniated, but it is easier, which is why it will eventually surpass judo, i believe tkd has it over judo worldwide, again because it's easier.

I'm assuming you mean BJJ is easier on the body. Maybe in some ways compared to judo, but it is far from a gentle art if you take it seriously. Alot of the same finger issues and back, neck and disc related injuries are more common. Of course your joints are put under stress from all the submissions and depending on your club and rule set you focus on you may be exposed to all manner of leg locks, neck cranks and other dangerous holds. Shoulder locks in my experience are the submissions most commonly resulting in injury and they aren't common in judo, but very common in jiu jitsu.

Taekwondo is not more popular than judo. Again, you guys are looking around at what is happening in America and assuming it is the same everywhere else 

1 Like

No kid, ne-waza is immensely easier on the body, judoka have known this as an indisputable truth since the beginning. Judo is only the second most popular martial sport in the olympics, let's take a guess at the first. I know it's hard to believe that you are infact, wrong, and that your collected wisdom of 20 years could be in error. Get used to the feeling, it's going to be a daily occurence.

An interesting article by the highly respected sideshow joe svinth  https://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth1_0201.htm

I do enjoy your pontifications though, i picture a tweed sport coat with suede patches at the elbows, emphasizing salient points with jabs of your meershaum pipe, whilst setting in a shopping cart outside of trader joes

Ok your just trolling, but I'll respond one last time and then be done. In the decade that I trained jiu jitsu I sustained far more injuries doing that than judo, wrestling or sambo. Jiu-Jitsu coaches also commonly utilize out dated methods of warming up and conditioning their students that do more harm than good which doesn't help.

Also your article is from 2001, so it is irrelevant to our discussion of the modern popularity of judo. Judo really took off worldwide following the 2012 Olympics.

You haven't really managed to refute anything I said on the previous page and are just resorting to insults at this point, so let's just end it here.

1 Like

I'm sorry, i seem to lack tact and good sense when attempting to bandy words with the millennial generation. What hit a little to close to home? The pipe?  So judo blasted off after the 2012 olympiad, huh? Thanks, i really needed a laugh! Lay out your "assertions", and i'll sink them forthwith.

judo heads for the stratosphere 2012'

Tripple_B: I support you 100%.  What is important is what is happening in judo today on a world scale.  To me that is basis for discussion here.  The sport is more dynamic than ever.  The reduced match times 5 min. to 4 min.  Can't win by penalty (2 or less) for a tie score.  Increased time on the ground. Score for 10 sec. pin 1/2 point, 20 sec. pin 1 point,ippon. Throwing points are scored 1/2 point or 1(ippon).  Reinstated two 1/2 points add up to ippon.  The "farm" system in judo(Juniors) feeding into Senior level is comparable to college football feeding the NFL.   This is a powerhouse sport.  Prize money for medal winners.  

Triple_B -
de braco -

I'm assuming you mean BJJ is easier on the body. Maybe in some ways compared to judo, but it is far from a gentle art if you take it seriously. Alot of the same finger issues and back, neck and disc related injuries are more common. Of course your joints are put under stress from all the submissions and depending on your club and rule set you focus on you may be exposed to all manner of leg locks, neck cranks and other dangerous holds. Shoulder locks in my experience are the submissions most commonly resulting in injury and they aren't common in judo, but very common in jiu jitsu.

Taekwondo is not more popular than judo. Again, you guys are looking around at what is happening in America and assuming it is the same everywhere else 

I have a 4th Degree in TKD from a previous life before Judo. In the US it's a lot more popular as it appeals the soccer moms and suburban populations.  It's easier for kids to rank in, or at least now it is.  In the late 70's when I started it was different and more hardcore.  When I go to Judo clubs in the US it seems a lot of guys know each other. The guys at DC Judo know people at Kintora which is a big school in Buffalo, NY. Kintora knows guys in NJ and so forth.  I train with the Buffalo guys here and there as it's not far away. The guys at Cohoes Judo in Albany know the people at Tohoku Judo in Boston also.  It's a lot more of a tight knit community as Judo is a tough sport so it's not like other martial arts.  Having been in both scenes I can tell you the culture is different in both.

1 Like

Oh God!!! The vote downs, they burn!!!!!!!!!! LOL, that's the way! You sure showed me, you fragile little bitches. Here's a clue, this judo forum would have been deleted along with all the other sub-forums(other than the BJJ forum), except for the fact of being memorially named for quincy, a shit stirrer extraordinaire who finally caught the dragon. Q would have really skewerd you little safe space, head in the sand bitches. This thread is the most viewed thread in the fucking thing, mainly due to me enraging you nancys, or perhaps you're more akin to cathy? If Mifune could see you little bitches wringing your hands and suffering the "vapors" he'd screech and poke his eyes out