Will Judo bring back leg attacks?

I have no idea why guys like you, someone who apparently seems to have no or very limited legit judo training, are so concerned with the direction judo is heading in.  

Where did you get all that fake news? Black Belt Magazine?  

It's a free world, but I suggest you change your profile photo, two men engaged in homo-erotic grappling. That is a dead giveaway that you were once a fanatic prowrestling fan. Yes, I bet you were one of those dummies who believed in fake stuff.

What are other stuff you once believed but that later were debunked? UFOs?

What a fucking homo retard. You must have been quite a disappointment to your father. That's if you ever met your father. I imagine you were raised by two mothers, that's what usually is responsible for the mess of a homo antifa sjw

de braco -

What a fucking homo retard. You must have been quite a disappointment to your father. That's if you ever met your father. I imagine you were raised by two mothers, that's what usually is responsible for the mess of a homo antifa sjw

I wouldn't say you are a retard, but the funny thing is that you are talking as if you were an authority figure in the field where you have had zero practical experience.

How many hours of judo training did you have or have you had?

1 Like

So, I just started my daughter in Judo before the whole coronavirus lockdown, because I remembered when I used to train that Judo guys were always motherfuckers to deal with standing up (~20 years ago).

I came from a wrestling background, and my top control tended to be better than the guys who came from a Judo background, but they were a bitch to take down, and they would hit you with all kinds of tricky shit on feet, and you’d find yourself on your ass when you felt safe.

So, when it came time for my daughter to do a martial art, I wanted something that would work IRL, and I’ve long felt that BJJ only folks don’t train takedowns enough to be really proficient at them. (the BJJ-only guys I trained with would always just fucking sit down in the standup, or start from the knees).

So I figured, I want my little girl to be able to stand up for herself, but really, to throw somebody on their ass and then run away. Sitting on her ass and doing leg grapevines isn’t going to do her a ton of good.

She really enjoys the Judo (loves it, actually), but I have to think that getting rid of knowing how do defends a basic ass double leg is a pretty big hole in her martial arts training, no?

I get people’s argument that “if it’s more attractive, more people do it, and the sport grows, and becomes more vibrant”.

Like, really, I hear that, but do you ever worry that if you continue to make the shit that works not part of the art anymore, and so you stop learning how to defend it, at what point do you become Tae Kwon Do? An art that everybody does, but doesn’t do shit martially?

Like, obv my girl is better off having trained Judo than NOTHING, but it kinda sucks that there’s no art out there that teaches her how to scrap in clothes, concentrate on launching some unsuspecting asshole, can deal with a regular ass schoolyard double leg takedown, and then get away.

Slowshot - So, I just started my daughter in Judo before the whole coronavirus lockdown, because I remembered when I used to train that Judo guys were always motherfuckers to deal with standing up (~20 years ago).

I came from a wrestling background, and my top control tended to be better than the guys who came from a Judo background, but they were a bitch to take down, and they would hit you with all kinds of tricky shit on feet, and you’d find yourself on your ass when you felt safe.

So, when it came time for my daughter to do a martial art, I wanted something that would work IRL, and I’ve long felt that BJJ only folks don’t train takedowns enough to be really proficient at them. (the BJJ-only guys I trained with would always just fucking sit down in the standup, or start from the knees).

So I figured, I want my little girl to be able to stand up for herself, but really, to throw somebody on their ass and then run away. Sitting on her ass and doing leg grapevines isn’t going to do her a ton of good.

She really enjoys the Judo (loves it, actually), but I have to think that getting rid of knowing how do defends a basic ass double leg is a pretty big hole in her martial arts training, no?

I get people’s argument that “if it’s more attractive, more people do it, and the sport grows, and becomes more vibrant”.

Like, really, I hear that, but do you ever worry that if you continue to make the shit that works not part of the art anymore, and so you stop learning how to defend it, at what point do you become Tae Kwon Do? An art that everybody does, but doesn’t do shit martially?

Like, obv my girl is better off having trained Judo than NOTHING, but it kinda sucks that there’s no art out there that teaches her how to scrap in clothes, concentrate on launching some unsuspecting asshole, can deal with a regular ass schoolyard double leg takedown, and then get away.

I agree with your comparison to Tae Kwon Do. Judo has started to prioritize the sport aspect over the martial art aspect by banning techniques. It doesn’t help that most schools follow the IJF rules and haven’t added that follow free judo rules to cross train.

Actually, fuck me, I’m a jackass. I just read through this thread, and found out about freestyle judo.

That’s just about exactly what I had in mind. Fair enough, it’s out there.

Slowshot - Actually, fuck me, I'm a jackass. I just read through this thread, and found out about free judo.

There aren’t many schools around that have free judo .

cyberc92 - 
Slowshot - Actually, fuck me, I'm a jackass. I just read through this thread, and found out about free judo.

There aren’t many schools around that have free judo .

DC Judo, does, though, so when she gets a little older, if she’s still into it, she can train there.

There isn't anything wrong with your daughter doing a martial art.  Judo is fine and tough on the body as you get older. It will build a lot of fortitude and character if she stays with it.

Outkaster -

There isn't anything wrong with your daughter doing a martial art.  Judo is fine and tough on the body as you get older. It will build a lot of fortitude and character if she stays with it.

I don't want to speak for him but I think the issue is that he wants his daughter to train a martial art that is practical for typcial self defense scenarios. 

Well it is?

Outkaster -

Well it is?

His post mentioned defending a double leg. Most judo schools don't have free judo anymore.