Will Machida adapt to Shogun in rematch?

We've never seen Machida not have his way or not in control. He rarely misses that straight left or trip and that flying knee to the gut dropped Tito but 3-4 of them didnt seem to have too much effect on Shogun (though they looked to land flush).

We saw a Shogun we've never seen before - much more measured, strategic, disciplined, accurate - in many ways fighting like a Machida.

One thing that possibly spells trouble for Machida in the rematch is that over the course of 5 rounds, he didnt really adjust to the way Shogun was fighting even though it appeared Shogun maintained the same strategy all fight.

Shogun and his camp had much time to study Machida and came out accordingly. In the rematch, will Machida be able to study the game Shogun threw at him this last time and adjust accordingly himself?

Even if Machida can think of a strategy to counter Shogun's gameplan, which he'll probably change up or have a 'Plan B' to counter Machida'a counter to his Plan A - the real question is whether Machida will be able to implement that strategy.

If Shogun's fast and disciplined enough to keep it up and keep the pressure on Machida, I doubt he'll be able to implement such a counter.

i believe he will..prior to them facing off at 104, the ball was in Shogun's court;  he had the advantage in studying machida for 5 months and formulating an effective gameplan.  However now I believe the ball is back in Machida's court, he now knows exactly what shogun is capable of and there's no doubt that team Black House will come up with a game plan to defend Shogun's devastating leg kicks, and Shogun will have to wait until fight night to discover what Machida will bring.  But the question is: will it be enough to give Machida a decisvie win this time around ?  Or wil Shogun prevail this time?

Though I don't agree with a rematch from the standpoint that Machida knows what to expect more and can therefore adapt, added to the demoralisation Shogun's suffered from beating him already yet losing a dec., I think it boils down to Muay Thai vs. Karate, and when in their pure forms and done correctly, Muay Thai will come out on top

I think Machida wants to avoid the ground so should hopefully be a win for Shogun

Will be interesting to see how gift dec. in first fight may influence judges should the rematch go the distnace too

"I think it boils down to Muay Thai vs. Karate, and when in their pure forms and done correctly, Muay Thai will come out on top"

Explain.

"he now knows exactly what shogun is capable of and there's no doubt that team Black House will come up with a game plan to defend Shogun's devastating leg kicks"

Leg kick defense will be key.

Shogun seemed prepared for Machida's leap in as Rogan accurately commented on. Shogun, as Elvis pointed out, as someone prepared for the Machida straight punch and blocked pretty well most of the time (but not all of the time like everyone thinks). Machida seemed to land but none seemed to phase Shogun.

I think Machida should throw more combos and some hooks, as Elvis pointed out, Machida only seems to throw straights and only hooks in combo when throwing a finishing flurry.

Shogun def didnt outclass Machida and I think Machida only has to make some minor adjustments to make it even more competitive next time. Its not like Shogun was picking Machida apart. He def had the leg kicks and Machida didnt seem to have an answer for that but he wasnt all over Machida.

Shogun also seemed prepared for the trips which like the straight punches seemed to have never failed thus far for Machida. i think they can still work with minor adjustment like Randy said Chuck needed to minorly adjust to him and Chuck did so.

I look forward to the rematch. Even though I thought Shogun won, it wasnt by a clear enough margin so i have no problems with the rematch (on reg PPV) and I cant wait to see how Machida will try and adapt and if Shogun will come out with the same strategy or more aggressive. We know Shogun is capable of it but didnt turn it on further in the first. Was this because his corner said he had it all wrapped up or because he still respected Machida enough throughout the fight?

ChokeEmOut -  Might just be a bad matchup as Shogun is one of the quickest LHW's in MMA, his movements in the cage are extremely fast. He has definately developed that since fighting in the Octagon.

Machida is also fast though that didnt seem to help him land too much on Shogun first time out.

I dont think it was necessarily Shogun's speed that was the main problem for Machida though. I think it was a combo of many things. Leg kicks for one. Patience for another. Countering with precision for another again.

I think if Machida fights any other way, Shogun will KO him.

TopChute - I think if Machida fights any other way, Shogun will KO him.

Or vice versa. Could be why Shogun didnt pour it on harder last time. I doubt he woulda done half as well as he did had he fought Machida like he did everyone else in Pride. Machida was actually stronger in the clinch iirc.

Anderson has now memorized Shogun's style and will train Lyoto to counter it effectively in the hundreds of hours of sparring that will soon begin.

ends -  Quit trying to be so profound, like Shogun solves some cold case murder mystery and now Lyoto must prove his innocence.

Shogun narrowed down prime suspect Machida, interogated him and drew vital information from that and from a number of witnesses (his camp) and had a strong case but ultimately still couldnt get the conviction thru a hung jury.

I think if Shogun stays healthy and keeps at it with his training camp he will have another good performance.

I think Machida will still be the favorite in the rematch, but not by as much.

Machida has fought exactly the same way for years now. I would be surprised if he could make any significant changes in a few months. Whatever adjustments he makes will probably have to be subtle and strategic (e.g. don't repeatedly circle into a Shogun kick).

Trying to change from his core style (by throwing more hooks, for example), would probably be a bad idea. He relies heavily on split-second reactions that have been honed over years. Unlike Fedor, I don't think he can just re-program parts of himself without potentially screwing up the whole system.

He won't have to w/ those judges :)

Also, let's not forget this goes both ways.

What about Shogun making adjustments to make a better case for himself for getting a win?

Can Shogun's camp not study this fight and look at ways for Shogun to improve his defense and taking advantage of the wholes in Machida's defense?

I dont think Machida needs a counter for Shogun. If you look at Shoguns strategy for the fight, was to use his range with low and mid kicks to nullify Machidas karate defense and backwards movement.

Shogun used his strategy effectively but its obvious that you cant win a fight from the judges with leg kicks. Machida isnt gonna submit from leg kicks and he is too good to leave an opening for headkicks.

So Shogun now knows that his counter to Machida cant win him the fight, and he found out that he cant use his groundgame. He has to play into Machidas strenghts if he wants to win.

Its not Machida thats needs to change his gameplan, its Shogun. Expect lowkicks as a setup instead of powershots, and knees if he can get close. Perhaps grappling from Shogun to setup knees in the clinch.

machida by ko/tko

Machida can definately make adjustments...I would like him to try and surprise Rua and go for a takedown, little G&P and some top control, nothing fancy just score some points and keep Rua guessing...

I think A. Silva will help Machida with his footwork & angles, Machida's footwork & Angles have always worked for him but Anderson is the man when it comes to this...I only wish I knew what they'll work on but really I have no idea...

Machida from what I've seen is all about Angles and footwork and when he can't use this to dominate then the fight he is in will become very competitive....Props to Rua who was able to study him and match his 2 greatest strengths...

I stiil beleive U ned to beat the Champ to take the belt....not draw him...

Machida via figuring out the formula.same way PBF figured out Jose Castillo 2nd time.imo

TheVileOne - Also, let's not forget this goes both ways.

What about Shogun making adjustments to make a better case for himself for getting a win?

Can Shogun's camp not study this fight and look at ways for Shogun to improve his defense and taking advantage of the wholes in Machida's defense?

Not overlooking this at all. This is why i look forward to the rematch.