Will Mesi-Jirov prove anything?

lol

Chappie, I don't mean to come off as too harsh on both. Mesi is a decent prospect, but unproven to be worthy of Top Ten ranking that some give him.

Jirov is a very good cruiserweight, and you're right, he wins somewhat ugly at times but wins. However at heavy I have been pretty unimpressed by him. It's probably because his style doesn't translate well against big heavies. Toney, for example, can still outbox people and make them miss, but Jirov is just going to be giving away all his usual openings and size could really come into play.

I'm not being hard on Mesi because he's white. I'm hard on him because people seem to to be giving him way more credit for what he's done for reasons I can't fathom (knocking out DaVarryl Williamson, and other journeymen/fringe contenders, etc.).

I'm just sick of mainstream media coverage on the guy. When I saw the New York Post article making allusions to him as the "next possible Marciano" posed next to a cutout of Rocky, i wondered if they were gonna pose Barrett next to a pic of Archie Moore or Jersey Joe Walcott if he knocked Mesi down.

Guess what? They didn't.