Will REEBOK Deal Lead the Way 2 Fighters LEAVING?

Seems a lot of fighters are being VERY vocal about the Reebok deal cutting into their pay. Brendan Schaub is reporting he is going from $100k in sponsor money to $10k. Matt Mitrone is squaking about this on twitter.

The BIG question is will this loss of fighter revenue result in fighters choosing other promotions like Bellator or ONEFC if it will simply free them from the sponsorship issue?

There really hasn't been much movement out of the UFC since Strikeforce died so only time will tell...

I would imagine so.i just dont see the benefits just now Phone Post 3.0

Aldocam - I would imagine so.i just dont see the benefits just now Phone Post 3.0

I figure it all depends on the base pay and if their sponsors are willing to pay the same for Bellator exposure compared to UFC exposure. If the UFC's guys are making most of their money in sponsorship and the sponsors don't hit them with too much of a discount for NOT being in the UFC (lower value in their minds potentially) then it could lead a lot of big guys to think twice.

Haulport with a doom and gloom post about the UFC - SHOCKER!

Wait and see what other sponsors they add, looks like they may add more which would mean more money for the fighters.

The sad thing is I would imagine its still more than they would make in bellator or onefc.

5% of a watermelon is still more than 100% of a grape.

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - Haulport with a doom and gloom post about the UFC - SHOCKER!

Wait and see what other sponsors they add, looks like they may add more which would mean more money for the fighters.
Doom and gloom or not its very possible that fighters would jump ship to bellator now that coker is involved and they could use their owm sponsors. Phone Post 3.0

I think we might see this from more fighters in a Phil Davis type situation. Where they have some name value, are decently ranked but have completely peaked with no hopes of getting a title or title shot.

I'd say just about any fighter on the regional circuit is still going to choose a UFC contract over a Bellator contract because those guys still make 4-5 times more money in just base pay than they would in Bellator of anywhere else.

Meanwhile, someone like Tim Kennedy is in a position to only make 5k from sponsors. At this point he'll never sniff a MW title fight, but in Bellator he could very well be champion, if not at least top 3. He used to fight for Coker and would probably get a comparable contract if he were to jump ship to Bellator, and he could make way more from sponsors. So he's in a position where he could arguably make more money finishing his career in Bellator.

Has anyone noticed a significant spike to sponsorship revenues outside of ZUFFA. From the brands, athletes and sponsors I've talked to, they believe that more money is being spent on alternative advertising outside the MMA cage. I mean hell, TapouT is now targeting the WWE fan base (solid commercial by the way) Phone Post 3.0

This sucks. If you got kids and wife to feed and your sponsor pays you more than the ufc for sure fight anywhere else. Phone Post 3.0

the Reebok deal will definitely encourage fighters to leave, but with an outcry like this, the UFC will probably revise their numbers. I mean, from an executive perspective, they always have that option, so why not throw out some fucked up / ridiculous figures? But that cunty corporate attitude is what makes people resent the UFC so much. Even if they ultimately increase the Reebok numbers, they've made it pretty clear how they view their fighters.

Not that the fighters are blameless. They should've been freaking out at the complete lack of coordination & respect the UFC was showing them. Instead, I guess they assumed the UFC would take care of them? I guess it was just some random hope they had?

Everything is fine, the UFC will just up their back room bonuses to compensate. Nothing to worry about here. Phone Post 3.0

MusclesMarinara - 

The sad thing is I would imagine its still more than they would make in bellator or onefc.

True, but it sucks if your five percent is just a worthless chunk of watermelon rind, instead of a juicy grape.

Riddlius - Everything is fine, the UFC will just up their back room bonuses to compensate. Nothing to worry about here. Phone Post 3.0

Bellator was willing to pay Bonnar $100k and Tito $300k for their fight. If they put numbers like that at other non-champ fighters with a little name value then guys would have a very comparable option to negotiate with the way Hendo did when he left the UFC for Strikeforce after he beat Bisping.

ttt

OriginalTUFer - If fighters can secure sponsorships in Bellator that are similar to what they were getting in the UFC, I'm sure a bunch of fighters who aren't in serious title contention will leave.

UFC pays $15k and Reebok pays $2.5k
Bellator pays $10k and Sponsor pays $15k

I'm sure many will be motivated to jump ship. Phone Post 3.0

Problem is, there aren't a lot of guys in Bellator making $10K.  If you aren't headlining cards for them, you are probably making less than the UFC minimum.  There will always be a handful of guys who make good money in Bellator, but the rest of the roster gets paid peanuts. 

better off selling shoes for reebok then doing this sponsorship

Haulport - 
Riddlius - Everything is fine, the UFC will just up their back room bonuses to compensate. Nothing to worry about here. Phone Post 3.0

Bellator was willing to pay Bonnar $100k and Tito $300k for their fight. If they put numbers like that at other non-champ fighters with a little name value then guys would have a very comparable option to negotiate with the way Hendo did when he left the UFC for Strikeforce after he beat Bisping.

But for every Bonnar and Tito, there are a dozen guys who don't make dick.  Bellator has to operate within a budget.  Unless Viacom greatly increases that budget, they won't be paying more than a handful of guys the kind of money they paid Bonnar and Tito.  And Viacom has shown no signs of being willing to loosen the purse strings.

MusclesMarinara -

I need pictures of said watermelon and grape to draw conclusion. Also what 5% of the watermelon? If we are talking about the rhine no deal Phone Post 3.0

^^rind...fucking voice to text Phone Post 3.0

Haulport - 
Aldocam - I would imagine so.i just dont see the benefits just now Phone Post 3.0

I figure it all depends on the base pay and if their sponsors are willing to pay the same for Bellator exposure compared to UFC exposure. If the UFC's guys are making most of their money in sponsorship and the sponsors don't hit them with too much of a discount for NOT being in the UFC (lower value in their minds potentially) then it could lead a lot of big guys to think twice.

I feel like people are looking too much into the whole bellator vs ufc value.. people argue that that sponsors wont want to pay nearly as much because bmma is not the #1 brand or doesn't have as much eye balls

the thing is, when bellator brought in a big name in tito, they got a 2 mil peak and a 1.2 avg. now imagine if bellator decided to start paying for over the hill names like shogun and such... those numbers could be replicated or even beaten... what sponsors want is simple, eyeballs on their product....

if bellator could sign big names that bring eyeballs to bellator and spike, I don't know why a sponsor wouldn't want to be a part of that..