Will Rickson ever release the Yoji Anjo video

InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
kungfugrip -

Someone here said they watched the fight and rickson didn't beat the guy, he taught him a lesson. If the video shows rickson beating a beat man, the video would not represent him well. True hardcore mma fans won't care, but others will lose respect for him. Just a theory

Yeah it sounds like it was pretty brutal, something like Rickson taped his hands up with with duct tape to beat the shit outta him more

The general public would fucking crucify him over it 

The general public doesn't have a clue who Rickson is. Any crucifixion would be confined to the small hardcore/old school fans in this community.

Bilge Water -
InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
kungfugrip -

Someone here said they watched the fight and rickson didn't beat the guy, he taught him a lesson. If the video shows rickson beating a beat man, the video would not represent him well. True hardcore mma fans won't care, but others will lose respect for him. Just a theory

Yeah it sounds like it was pretty brutal, something like Rickson taped his hands up with with duct tape to beat the shit outta him more

The general public doesn't have a clue who Rickson is. Any crucifixion would be confined to the small hardcore/old school fans in this community.

This ....rickson is over 60, he’s an old man, who gives a shit what what people think, and lol at the people saying he could legally get in trouble LOL...Jesus ....in all seriousness , I think rickson has that tape in a closet somewhere in his house and doesn’t give a shit and probably doesn’t know or forgot that he even has it ...he’s your typical old man who is living in retirement and enjoying life and has absolutely no clue how sacred that video is 

Bring back bum fights

1 Like

From what have been told by those close to the situation Rickson demanded all people and cameras out of the room and he then proceeded to sub Anjoh repeatedly, get the tap, beat on him some, choke him out, wake him up with slaps, next sub, beat him some more and so on. Rickson may not have been that desperate to keep getting headlines, make those extra millions and get extra rich or keep fighting whoever to prove some people wrong. He has however been very aware of his reputation and always cared for his image and how he was percieved, for example he used to get very defensive when reporters bring up the subject of his controversial sambo loss or ask about some technical things in his fights. He knows he is percieved as unbeaten, technically perfect and a proud warrior and he likes to keep it that way so if somebody questions his decisions he will stand by them.

Of course he understands that the Anjoh fight works better as a story than with visuals. If it is anything like described it probably looks sadistic… Maybe Rickson uses foul language, maybe Anjoh pleads for mercy, maybe Anjoh defends himself well for a few minutes which is bad for Rickson’s image as technically perfect. It is just better as a story and Rickson understood that from the start.

Jump Kick -

I believe it was never released, as others have mentioned, because it was brutal and not a good look PR-wise. It’s possible that Rickson could have gotten in legal trouble for beating Anjo after he had already given up. And to this day I think that’s why he doesn’t release it, because it’s savage and possibly criminal and not a good look. After all these years I’d pay $100 to watch it and $100 to watch Tito vs Lee on TFSoL.

I don’t think the Tito/Murray video exists. Never have.

It's an NHB/Vale Tudo holy grail, but not sure what it's impact would be for today's modern MMA fan.  I would definitely want to see it because it's the subject of legend, but honestly, if Rickson wants to maintain his aura, he shouldn't release it. 

400-0, Anjo, BJJ world champions of the era getting handled like children against Rickson who wasn't even breathing heavy, Rickson getting mount on black belts and then calling his submission and counting down from 10 to hit it perfectly., slaughtering entire shark tanks of black belts, etc.  None of that actually exists on footage that I'm aware of, but it all fuels the legend of the man, whether it actually happened or not. The Anjo thing sounds so much better when you have to picture the mental imagery of the evil Japanese pro wrestler invading the dojo and the Brazilian hero dramatically showing up to teach him a lesson.  If I had to guess, it was a Japanese publicity stunt gone wrong to try to get Rickson to fight in Japan, and probably looked more like Rickson beating up and taking liberties on a hapless Japanese pro wrestler than a back and forth affair.   At worst, the video might show Rickson struggling to do it.  Either way,  the perception probably isnt great, and definitely wouldn't be as impactful as the legend of what happened.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to show him any disrespect, but some of this stuff seems somewhat farfetched when you look at the footage of actual fights that he has has against poor opposition.  And just for the record, I don't have any doubt that one point he wasn't the best jiu-jitsu practitioner of his time, but some of these stories are a little bit crazy.

People spouting theories while Fabes dropping facts.

dios -
Bilge Water -
InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
kungfugrip -

This ....rickson is over 60, he’s an old man, who gives a shit what what people think, and lol at the people saying he could legally get in trouble LOL...Jesus ....in all seriousness , I think rickson has that tape in a closet somewhere in his house and doesn’t give a shit and probably doesn’t know or forgot that he even has it ...he’s your typical old man who is living in retirement and enjoying life and has absolutely no clue how sacred that video is 

Rickson is aware of the interest, as has been mentioned in this thread. He discussed it on the JRE.

Fabes -
Jump Kick -

I believe it was never released, as others have mentioned, because it was brutal and not a good look PR-wise. It’s possible that Rickson could have gotten in legal trouble for beating Anjo after he had already given up. And to this day I think that’s why he doesn’t release it, because it’s savage and possibly criminal and not a good look. After all these years I’d pay $100 to watch it and $100 to watch Tito vs Lee on TFSoL.

Yeah this one is so strange because if I had to guess I’d say it doesn’t exist, yet Bobby swears that he taped it and the footage exists. I don’t know why he would have it and not release it (presumably Tito/zuffa paid him off) or why he would lie about having it if it doesn’t exist.

dios -
Bilge Water -
InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
kungfugrip -

Yep. 

per -

From what have been told by those close to the situation Rickson demanded all people and cameras out of the room and he then proceeded to sub Anjoh repeatedly, get the tap, beat on him some, choke him out, wake him up with slaps, next sub, beat him some more and so on. Rickson may not have been that desperate to keep getting headlines, make those extra millions and get extra rich or keep fighting whoever to prove some people wrong. He has however been very aware of his reputation and always cared for his image and how he was percieved, for example he used to get very defensive when reporters bring up the subject of his controversial sambo loss or ask about some technical things in his fights. He knows he is percieved as unbeaten, technically perfect and a proud warrior and he likes to keep it that way so if somebody questions his decisions he will stand by them.

Of course he understands that the Anjoh fight works better as a story than with visuals. If it is anything like described it probably looks sadistic… Maybe Rickson uses foul language, maybe Anjoh pleads for mercy, maybe Anjoh defends himself well for a few minutes which is bad for Rickson’s image as technically perfect. It is just better as a story and Rickson understood that from the start.

I’ve actually not come across this one or forgot about it over the years (brain…).

Makes me think a lot less of Rickson. Poor budo (even with the insult of a man turning up with camera crew). I have double standards, though - if Rickson did do this, shame on him; Paul Harris and his selective senses, shame on him; Hendo's diving punch, I could watch every day of the week...

Do you remember the thread to get everyone to donate a dollar towards paying for Rickson to fight (who was it...)?

I'm tired.

I saw the tape and Rickson soundly beat Anjo. CHoked hi out unconcious then stepping on his neck as he walked away from an unconcious Anjo. Just like Renzo did to Taktalov. I'd love to see it again.

5 Likes

^

Enson comes through with the facts.

Rickson could have done far worse and been seen ethically as okay in the community given the dojo storm nature of the fight.

Enson Yamato Inoue -

I saw the tape and Rickson soundly beat Anjo. CHoked hi out unconcious then stepping on his neck as he walked away from an unconcious Anjo. Just like Renzo did to Taktalov. I'd love to see it again.

Thank you Enson. Can you please describe in detail the circumstances and events leading up to you watching The video and include any additional details about what you saw. Thank you in advance!

1 Like
Jump Kick - 
Enson Yamato Inoue -

Thank you Enson. Can you please describe in detail the circumstances and events leading up to you watching The video and include any additional details about what you saw. Thank you in advance!

Renzo stepped on Ben Spijkers neck.

Bilge Water -
InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
kungfugrip -

I don't know.

Remember how that hillbilly guy beat up that kung fu nuts in his gym and then stomped on him?

That went viral and did not go well for the guy.

The general public would not know the back story and it would not look good, imo.

Jump Kick -
Fabes -
Jump Kick -

Yeah this one is so strange because if I had to guess I’d say it doesn’t exist, yet Bobby swears that he taped it and the footage exists. I don’t know why he would have it and not release it (presumably Tito/zuffa paid him off) or why he would lie about having it if it doesn’t exist.

Tito would have a stroke if it was ever released.

Enson Yamato Inoue -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErIY92RufI

@ 2:56

Enson Yamato Inoue -

Dammit Enson I think I just shit myself a little.  Any more details you want to share?  How long ago/where did you see the tape?  Did Rickson prove a point with him?  I always pictured it as a rough nhb fight with a few extra words toward the end to remind Anjo who's house hes in

Thanks for this post either way

Who cares? Only 'old schoolers' and BJJers even know who Rickson is, much much less Anjoh.