Win bonus / FINISH bonus...

OK so I was reading the UFC payscale and got to thinking... pay bonuses are DUMB!

We all know most fighters don't get paid enough and it's hard to be financially stable to train full time and just fight. That being said... say a guy is getting 10 / 10 in the UFC... doubling your purse is HUGE! So of course guys will do what ever it takes to win... Even if it's a lil boring... they give up WAY too much if they lose!

Why not set something up where you get a partial bonus for winning but the full double for FINISHING!

Especially the way we're getting big 3 round fights these days that when they are done it almost feels like nothing was accomplished and there is no clear winner. More minutes / rounds would also be good of course, but I think this would help too. Seems to inspire TUF guys...

I was thinking the same thing yesterday...

Perhaps its not allowed by the athletic commission.

"Perhaps its not allowed by the athletic commission."

hmmm... that would explain it if that's the case.

It's allowed on TUF and that falls under the NAC.

Does those being "exibition" matches have anything to do with that though?

I don't know. It might.

Haven't really thought about that before, but it does make sense. Giving pay bonuses based off of finishing and not just winning would probably increase fighters intensity to win in a way other than desicions. Great idea

that would be interesting, but would you be willing to penalize the fighters for stalling?

They should not get win bonuses, period. The "bonus" should be that 1) they won, improved their record and moved up in rank, and 2) will be able to get more for their next fight. Just because a guy loses doesn't mean he didn't do "his job"; he trained, he fought, the other guy just came out ahead. And Cruze makes an excellent point about guys not wanting to risk losing and giving up fully half of their pay.

The only bonuses, if any, should be for finishing, as has been said.

I would have no objections to the UFC starting a card system like Pride has where if they are stalling too much they lose a percentage of their purse. It would only help keep fighters more active.

What if you had the following scenario:

Fighter A = 15k/15k
Fighter B = 5k/5k

Fighter A wins he gets his 30k + the 5k win money from the loser.
Fighter B wins he gets his 10k + the 15k win money from the loser

????

ttt

"What if you had the following scenario:
Fighter A = 15k/15k Fighter B = 5k/5k

Fighter A wins he gets his 30k + the 5k win money from the loser. Fighter B wins he gets his 10k + the 15k win money from the loser

????"

That would just make them want to fight even MORE conservatively...

""What if you had the following scenario: Fighter A = 15k/15k Fighter B =
5k/5k
Fighter A wins he gets his 30k + the 5k win money from the loser. Fighter
B wins he gets his 10k + the 15k win money from the loser

????"

That would just make them want to fight even MORE conservatively..."

Then cut the 'win' bonus in half if it goes to a JD.....and just for kicks,
split it amongst the judges. LMAO

I've been saying this for a long time. Win bonuses are stupid. The guys should be paid larger guaranteed purses and a small bonus if they finish.

That seems like a good idea Cruze. I'd be interested in finding out what the Athletic Commisions rules are on this.

I don't think a system like Pride where fighters lose part of their purse fo yello cards is the answer though. I remember Big John talking about it, and he says he wouldn't feel comfortable taking money away from fighters, and I can understand that. The UFC refs seem to know the fighters much more personally (since they're is not language barrier) and would probably find it hard to take some of their money away.

Basically, I just prefer the idea of pay BONUSES as opposed to pay CUTS.

Tyson86, those are all excellent points.  I can see how it would be hard to want to take money away from guys you know and some of whom you probably train with...

I think taking a portion of the fighter's already meek pay for something that can pretty subjective is probably not the right way to go.

At least finishes, for the most part, are decisive and the bonus part means noone is losing money.