Windows 2000/2003 Question Browsin

Whenever you bring up everything in the neighborhood, what would not allow the master browser to see the other two subnets's computers?

Everything pulls fine inside of the main subnet. The other two networks are connected through adtrans that have no restrictions between sites.

For some reason, I think this maybe something stupid on my part. I did notice there isn't an entry for any subnet's on sites and services, but I'm slowly trying to get my M$ server skills better.

Ideas? Google doesn't really give any straight answers.

I believe that network neighborhood works off of netbios, not tcp.

meh, so netbios broadcasts won't go to the other subnets I'd assume.

I'm pretty sure that's a routing issue where all broadcasts are being dropped. I seem to recall being able to get it to work across subnets once, by allowing netbios broadcasts through a vpn tunnel, so I don't think it's a limitation of netbios. The subnets were in different locations, so the vpn wasn't just to get it to work over different subnets. It's just as easy to set up a WINS server though, and more reliable.

In your tcpip properties go to advanced and then to the WINS tab. Make sure "Enable NETBIOS over TCPIP" setting is checked. Since Netbios is not a routeable protocol, this will allow you to traverse subnets...if Im not mistaken.

hmmmm, still a no go. Damn master browser, etc.,

Broadcasts by default and design are not routed. You will need to allow proadcasts to be forwarded to the different subnets, if you can.

"
Broadcasts by default and design are not routed. You will need to allow proadcasts to be forwarded to the different subnets, if you can."

I don't think the Adtran 3200's will allow this :( crappy stuff, I wanna throw some Cisco gear in there - but they won't go for it.

Any reason why you need to see these other domains\workgroups?

The Norton Antivirus console has a nice remote install option.

Oh I gotcha. Is this a Novell network or the software doesn't support domains?

Ehh, they should have AD servers out at the remote sites, but they are a cheap client.

I assume that Norton and Symantec are the same thing, I know the Symantec remote client install's discovery service needs WINS to work. If these machines at the remote site are joining a domain at the main site, then there really isn't much more to have them also register in WINS and then your problem is solved. You can load the WINS service on any of the servers, there isn't any real overhead involved. And you'd have to change either the client's tcp/ip adaptor settings for the WINS server or change it in the dhcp server settings.

Could you drop statics at the remote site, and create a secondary zone on your DNS servers and allow them to hit their IP's via your DNS name you gave them?

I don't think that would work, because the remote client install is completely based on the list of machines that are in the windows network neighborhood, which is netbios based. There is no place to type in host names or IP addresses.

"I don't think that would work, because the remote client install is completely based on the list of machines that are in the windows network neighborhood, which is netbios based. There is no place to type in host names or IP addresses. "

I don't know how the app works, but if you could manually add a node via fake name, add a secondary zone for your fake nodes, and have it hit an IP address, it might would work. If it's pulling the node names via Netbios broadcast, and does not give you the option to add one manually then it wouldn't work.